Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
that will never happen....they all have bills due, mouths to feed and wives edging them on to bring home the bacon.....

It's like war. You have to be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to obtain your freedom. If you aren't, then you are a willing participant in your own demise. The drivers whine and whine all of the time, but they never do anything to fight for themselves. I'm not talking about you OVM, I'm talking about truck drivers in general.

TNJenn

Active Expediter
The price of fuel has changed that is undeniable; however, we still pick up the shipment, ensure it is properly secured, and then transport it safely to the receiver. The job hasn't changed, rates typically fluctuate, but they shouldn't drop as drastically as they have.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I gave up worrying about rates in 2008. Had a dedicated run that got cut over 20 percent, and had to either accept it or quit. Cut my costs beyond what anybody would consider sane.

Fast forward to now, I'm on the open road (route got undercut so far the carrier wasn't willing to accept it) I have no problems making it on current rates...which is good because I have no idea what a job pays for an entire month until I see it on my paycheck...

I wish everyone the best of luck, but in my opinion getting stressed about it leads to an early grave. There is no way to stop inexperienced new players from underbidding you as they ebb and flow into this business. It's individual choice to hold out for higher rates and run less for more, or do what I do and take anything I can and see what I net after a paycheck.

I would love a fair protected rate per mile but this is the world we live in - everyone parking their trucks would encourage yet another flurry of new people to take their place.

Drive because you love to, or find something else you love.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I've actually had a broker/carrier call me and ask me how much to sit in the front seat at a pickup so the shipper would see a team truck ..... I refused to be part of that deal! They will do whatever they can get away with hence I use the term PIMPS!!!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
No soapbox, just facts. I read on here all the time, I talk to drivers all of the time. But I also have the perspective of talking with shippers, 3pls, brokers and other carriers. I see a lot more data and get to slice and dice numbers at a different level. Technology, the number of carriers, ease of entry all have certainly skewed the supply and demand equation. For the most part....the shipper has been the person who has gained the most in it. Being unregulated all these factors have truly "commoditized" the van market. No one driver, owner operator or carrier wins in that formula with the exception of those who cheat the system.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No soapbox, just facts. I read on here all the time, I talk to drivers all of the time. But I also have the perspective of talking with shippers, 3pls, brokers and other carriers. I see a lot more data and get to slice and dice numbers at a different level. Technology, the number of carriers, ease of entry all have certainly skewed the supply and demand equation. For the most part....the shipper has been the person who has gained the most in it. Being unregulated all these factors have truly "commoditized" the van market. No one driver, owner operator or carrier wins in that formula with the exception of those who cheat the system.
basically the whole cargo van segment from top to bottom is well for lack of a better term....screwed...and it will be what it morphs into what do you call it?....oh yes..."market forces" ...to meet " supply and demand"....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
basically the whole cargo van segment from top to bottom is well for lack of a better term....screwed...and it will be what it morphs into what do you call it?....oh yes..."market forces" ...to meet " supply and demand"....

Every segment of the industry has those issues. They are just far more prevalent in the van market, due to low barrier to entry from an owner operator side and from a carrier side.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Forgot to add: keep your old trucks till this settled out, just found out insurance is based on your purchase price here - saving 600 a month over what other drivers pay for 2 million liability...that and no monthly payments sure makes life easier...carriers that require 5 years or newer, don't get me unless they want to pay for it. Also I view all the work I do instead of a shop as a part time job that pays 90-180 per hour

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every segment of the industry has those issues. They are just far more prevalent in the van market, due to low barrier to entry from an owner operator side and from a carrier side.
besides government intervention....what could one do?......Have load boards restrict access? have carriers stop having partnerships with the smaller carriers?
bigger carriers like yourself could charge a $5,000 entry fee...but people would just go rogue anyhow for the more inclined....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
we are getting exactly what we wanted/wished for.....We wanted to drill, we wanted to be self reliant without the Arab oil.....well here we are....this is your 72 virgins....feeling screwed yet?.....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am no fan of regulation....but in the van market I am actually inclined to lean towards it. At least to level the insurance/compliance issue.
i was thinking.....:p
example:
insurance certificate Level 1 , certificate Level 2 and so forth based on declared usage.....if caught with freight crossing a state line with wrong level, big time fine and or jail time...
"improperly insured"
also any carrier, broker caught using the wrong level by not certifying thier policy would be subject to said fines/jailtime

Reactions: jelliott

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe Teana could put a working committee together and work with insurance co. and state regulators?

Level 1 would be fully expedite, with crossborder and all endorsements...and so forth

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Maybe Teana could put a working committee together and work with insurance co. and state regulators?

Level 1 would be fully expedite, with crossborder and all endorsements...and so forth

I think that would be great. Not sure if TEANA really wants that fight anymore. VOI left them pretty disappointed with the amount of corruption and games, from carriers, and even insurance agents and insurance carriers. It was pretty baffling. The percentage running truly legal and auditable....was staggering.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that would be great. Not sure if TEANA really wants that fight anymore. VOI left them pretty disappointed with the amount of corruption and games, from carriers, and even insurance agents and insurance carriers. It was pretty baffling. The percentage running truly legal and auditable....was staggering.

This would not be a game to play if insurance co's and state regulators were onboard....there'd be almost no way around it other then bluntly run uninsured....

John the future of expedite is in Teana's hands at this point.....the members livihood and future is involved....they can not give up....its not the American way....:)

you can't QUIT on your first try.....just because someone whizzed in your sandbox....LOL