Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
My two cents.....supply and demand rules the market. Shippers are winning right now. Carriers and owner operators are losing. Brokers might see a little better margin, but they watch the margin slip away when demand is tight. Business ebs and flows.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My two cents.....supply and demand rules the market. Shippers are winning right now. Carriers and owner operators are losing. Brokers might see a little better margin, but they watch the margin slip away when demand is tight. Business ebs and flows.
John...before you or Load 1 became an item...rates were cut by carriers in 2008 and never rebounded at least not for the flat rate contracted...we had a culling of the herd as many left the biz....and then the number of units drifted upward to the log jam we have now.....in theory the ones that have entered the market in the last few years are real the cause of some of what we have today, brokers aside.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well I think their are more units in the market and that contributes. One of the other big factors is the multi carrier model which often results in the same unit being posted numerous times. This creates artificial supply and thus drives down demand harder. When three carriers are competing for one load (all for the same van) all it does is drive down the rates people!!!! SMH.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I think their are more units in the market and that contributes. One of the other big factors is the multi carrier model which often results in the same unit being posted numerous times. This creates artificial supply and thus drives down demand harder. When three carriers are competing for one load (all for the same van) all it does is drive down the rates people!!!! SMH.
AGREED...too bad there wasn't a way to track thru Vin #'s....every van posted with carrier and VIN#...what the heck...they'd just make up phoney #'s prolly...

Reactions: jelliott

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
you MUST be a new guy...... 70 cents has been here since 2008 the year this business went "poof" many had a flat rate of .70 you just didn't see it as much because FSC was like .30-45 cents some even higher giving the illusion of a higher rate NOW FSC is almost gone exposing the real linehaul rates...
I have been doin for the past 8 years of my life I drive and I also dispatch couple of my vans.. I have never ever taken a load for less then 90 cents a mile ... Or gived to my driver And the times I have I can count on my fingers... So ya rates did go down , but Come on 70 cents a mile I didn't know ppl drive for that....

Say no ! To cheap freight !!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been doin for the past 8 years of my life I drive and I also dispatch couple of my vans.. I have never ever taken a load for less then 90 cents a mile ... Or gived to my driver And the times I have I can count on my fingers... So ya rates did go down , but Come on 70 cents a mile I didn't know ppl drive for that....

you be talking .90 with the fuel included or on top of?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
back in 08 we got .70 PLUS fuel to be over $1.00 a mile....some loads were .80 plus fuel for $1.10...

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
On top, but I have taken som 90 cent with fuel included loads that are very few... But I don't even run 90 cents rates right now the lowest I will book is $1.00 a mile fuel included... The lowest unless driver wants to go home or something...

Reactions: Grizzly

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
On top, but I have taken som 90 cent with fuel included loads that are very few... But I don't even run 90 cents rates right now the lowest I will book is $1.00 a mile fuel included... The lowest unless driver wants to go home or something...

and How long are you sitting waiting to win that bid?.....

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
All I am saying and want is! Drivers to get paid what they deserve! Not drive for cheap because they are out there busting there a** ... They are in that bad weather taking that freight to whatever it need to go... So rates should be better!

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
and How long are you sitting waiting to win that bid?.....
I don't sit at all... I only drive whatever pays bank. And cover my dead head... , but my drivers sit sometimes it's part of the job .. But they rather sit one more day then the other guy and paid double what he is...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All I am saying and want is! Drivers to get paid what they deserve! Not drive for cheap because they are out there busting there a** ... They are in that bad weather taking that freight to whatever it need to go... So rates should be better!

I agree...we do a crappy job....long hours away from home and get what someone needs there right away.....heck an OTR tractor driver is clearing more then we are right now...

Reactions: ajakapari

andrew sterling

Rookie Expediter
I started doing this 4 years ago... I always got $1 - $1.25 including fuel... in the last 5 weeks ive only gotten 2 loads.. for $1.. i ask dispach wtf is going on, they tell me guys are running for .50/.60.. paying for gas and everything out of that..

Reactions: ajakapari

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I started doing this 4 years ago... I always got $1 - $1.25 including fuel... in the last 5 weeks ive only gotten 2 loads.. for $1.. i ask dispach wtf is going on, they tell me guys are running for .50/.60.. paying for gas and everything out of that..
4 years ago..fuel was $5.00 a gallon....now Its. less then $2.00....what do you expect?....
on the 50-.60 thats ridiculous IMO but some are doing it...why? they could flip burgers and make more and be home every night....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
what you seeing now for the first time since 9/11 and the oil embargo is the bare bones line haul charge.....fuel surcharge is almost non exsistent

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel is less ... Food is more my sprinter dealer still charges 128 an hour... Sprinter parts are still expensive ... So ok maybe rates will drop a lil , but nobody should be working for less then 1.00$

what should and what is are 2 different things.....maybe IF 5,000 vans would simple go away we'd get a better rate...supply and demand....but people continue to come into this with no real thought..

Andrew....That $1.25 4 years ago strip off the fuel surcharge and you were running for .90 cents...LOL