looking to buy a cargo van

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
Today i looked at a chevy 2500 and a sprinter both 2007, while the chevy was much cheaper, the Sprinter drove nicer, had loads more room, and had a diesel 3.0 in it, i will look at some more, but if i can afford it i will go with a sprinter. I still have not driven an extended version of the above....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a 2009 Chev G3500 6.0 gasoline van. I have about 45k miles on it so far. Empty holding it to 60-62mph I get upwards of 19mpg. With flooring, etrack, insulation, paneling, clothes, fridge, food, bedding, books, straps, full fuel etc. etc. I can legally carry about 2900 pounds. I told my carrier I can carry 2500. With a ~2100 pound load and having to run 70mph to make a super critical delivery time I get about 16mpg. My overall is about 17.2mpg but I use 16mpg in my spreadsheet for calculating purposes.

I run full synthetic oil and get about 9k miles per maintenance interval cycle. I replace the oil filter and add 1qt new at the first interval and do a complete oil/filter change at the second cycle so I'm getting 18-19k from 7qts oil and 2 filters. I could get better mpg with a Sprinter but would pay more for fuel so the difference overall isn't that great. The advantage of the Sprinter would be standing up straight, taking taller freight and taking 3 floor spots at times. I'd have to do a lot of figuring to determine if the higher entry fee and higher expenses of a Sprinter make sense for me. They absolutely do for many and probably don't for a few.

Good luck with your research.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2009 Chev G3500 6.0 gasoline van. I have about 45k miles on it so far. Empty holding it to 60-62mph I get upwards of 19mpg. With flooring, etrack, insulation, paneling, clothes, fridge, food, bedding, books, straps, full fuel etc. etc. I can legally carry about 2900 pounds. I told my carrier I can carry 2500. With a ~2100 pound load and having to run 70mph to make a super critical delivery time I get about 16mpg. My overall is about 17.2mpg but I use 16mpg in my spreadsheet for calculating purposes.

I run full synthetic oil and get about 9k miles per maintenance interval cycle. I replace the oil filter and add 1qt new at the first interval and do a complete oil/filter change at the second cycle so I'm getting 18-19k from 7qts oil and 2 filters. I could get better mpg with a Sprinter but would pay more for fuel so the difference overall isn't that great. The advantage of the Sprinter would be standing up straight, taking taller freight and taking 3 floor spots at times. I'd have to do a lot of figuring to determine if the higher entry fee and higher expenses of a Sprinter make sense for me. They absolutely do for many and probably don't for a few.

Good luck with your research.

Have you heard of other people having problems with the 6.0, have you tried the 4.8, if so whats your opinion, also how much cargo room do you have behind your sleeping quarters?
thanks
Rich KG4SVX

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is my first van so I have no experience with any other combinations. I don't have a dedicated sleeper so when I'm empty I have about a 120" sleeper and with freight I have whatever is left over. I've rarely had a time when I needed to sleep with freight on board. I can put my bed side to side so with one skid it's no problem. With two skids I have to recline the van seat. It's pretty comfortable reclined and I've only had to do that twice in a year.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1. What is the difference between Chevy Express/GMC Savana cargo vans? Is there any?

The only difference between the two is cosmetic. Most notably the grill.

2. I see Chefdennis and others think the 4.8L is good enough for both the 2500 and 3500, rather than the 6.0L. Anyone else chime in on this view?

I'm sure the Chef will respond when he gets a chance. I don't believe he has had any problems with the 4.8.

If you are looking at Ford or GM go with the 1 ton, i.e. 350 or 3500. I run a 2004 Chevy 3500, 155" wheelbase van with a 6.0. I've got 475,000 miles on it and no engine problems and no oil consumption.

My first van was also a long wheelbase Chevy 3500, but with a 5.8 engine. For the life of that van I averaged 16.1 mpg. At the time my freeway cruising speed was about 67 mph.

With the 04 I continued my 67 mph cruising speed with the same average mpg. Half way through 2008 I dropped my freeway cruising speed to 63 mph. My average mgp for that year was 16.6. 2009 I averaged 17.07. As of the end of September I have averaged 17.1 for the year. Engine size can make a difference in fuel economy, but the driver has the greatest impact.
[/QUOTE]

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
there is a funtion here called ....search.
click on it.
click on advanced search
now enter...."vans"...."ford vans". "chevy vans", "sprinter"
there are hundreds of threads. happy reading.

guido4475

Not a Member
Basic oil change at Frieghtliner is $125 -$150 if you add a fuel filter with oil change it runs about $150-$200

And an oil change for my Ford E-350 with a 7.3 diesel runs me $75.00,,including the fuel filter and grease,done myself in an hour.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your going to team believe me when I say you will very much appreciate the extra space a sprinter provides. You can buy your own oil and filter and get it changed at walmart for about 110.00 bucks total and that is using synthetic. No need to pay 150.00 or more.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
there is a funtion here called ....search.
click on it.
click on advanced search
now enter...."vans"...."ford vans". "chevy vans", "sprinter"
there are hundreds of threads. happy reading.

Maybe you should try using the search!! there are indeed many posts on this forum, and if you refer to one of my posts, maybe you will understand why a search can be futile, forums in my opinion do not have well organized "sticky's" if you are new, you ask questions, many of the questions from new people are the same, so, why not have a place here where people can review their equipment? it can take a long time to find an answer to a basic question, which is why those questions are asked so many times, its easy for you to make a statement like this, try putting yourself in the position of a newbie on here, you will find it difficult and very time consuming to get answers: as you said "there are hundreds of threads. happy reading." so rather than posting something unhelpful, maybe you should take time to organize this forum!!!

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
And an oil change for my Ford E-350 with a 7.3 diesel runs me $75.00,,including the fuel filter and grease,done myself in an hour.

Where do you change your oil? at home or on the road? what do you do with the old oil ? does the $75 include your 1 hour labor? I get the oil changed at Frieghtliner because I dont have my own place anymore I got rid of my apartment(they had rules against working on cars in the parking lot anyway) I put my stuff in storage to cut down on expenses especially since I am out here on the road weeks and months at a time. On the road it is easier to let Frieghtliner do the work they have the filters and oil and most important a place to gid rid of the old filters and old oil and not just dump the old oil and filters on the ground like you see at the truck stops and other parking lots and I dont get dirty and can be doing other things while they do the dirty work. As they say to each is own way of doing things

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
332587 miles on a 2005 GMC 3500 extended body with the 4.8 V8...have replaced the waterpump, alternator (twice because the brushes were worn out) and had the trans rebuilt (the trans is the same one used with the 6.0 except that the computer is programed different)....

I have carried 3000 lb of freight several times and over 2500 lbs on a regular basis with no problems whatsoever that could be contributed to the size of the engine. Fuel mileage is between 16.5 and 18, with alot depending on my driving habits. Maintainance cost might be a bit higher then some because i use 100% synthetic oils and lube rater then "dino" oils....

As to what to buy, why buy anything other then what would give you the best chances to make as much money as you can? The extra load floor length, the extra weight capacity should be the only consideration when choosing what you buy.

As for buys a sprinter as your 1st vehicle, I'd personally stay away from them, only because they demand alot more attention to detail than a Ford / Chevy /GMC....not that they are bad vehicles, just that you can get by alot easier in a "slush bucket" American van until you have educated yourself on the business and made the decision to stay in.

Now all of that being said, If you are looking to buy a "NEW" CV, I'd be looking at the Chevy / GMC 9900 gvw srw cube with a 6.0 . 6 spd trans and the 3:42 rear axle.....that is what I am looking into right now...i just have until aug to depreciated and use the investment tax credit on the current cv I have...then there will be a new one coming, with the chassis and box being built to my specs and then the box finished my me as i want it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe you should try using the search!! there are indeed many posts on this forum, and if you refer to one of my posts, maybe you will understand why a search can be futile, forums in my opinion do not have well organized "sticky's" if you are new...

Oh MY GOD!!!

SOMEONE else is

saying it.

I have been saying the same thing for a while, and I even tried to get it rolling but .... not one of the mods wants to take the torch and run with it, even though it would make EO a bit better.

Thank you!

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
Oh MY GOD!!!

SOMEONE else is

saying it.

I have been saying the same thing for a while, and I even tried to get it rolling but .... not one of the mods wants to take the torch and run with it, even though it would make EO a bit better.

Thank you!
Well i may be new on here, but i think i made a fair point, glad you agree.............

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It is still advisable to learn how to use the search function. To disregard previous posts on a subject only adds to the clutter that makes it harder to find useable information.

Seems to me there should be one moderator who is dedicated to the faq's. But then again you put it on a silver platter, and people will still ignore it. Just like good advice.

eb

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
A couple useful quotes:

If you search for "search illegal" in quotes, it will only look for that exact phrase. It won't find "illegal search" unless you search for that exact phrase, in quotes. If you search for "search" and "illegal", both words, no quotes, it will find all posts with either the word search or illegal in it.

If you do a search without quotes, "search AND illegal" with the 'AND' in capital letters, it will find all posts that contain both the words search and illegal, just not necessarily that specific phrase.

Same thing with 'OR' instead of 'AND' in that it will find all posts that contain either search OR illegal.

'Illegal NOT search" without quotes will return posts that contain the word "illegal" but do NOT contain the word ""search".

--Turtle

eb[/QUOTE]

thats helpful, thank you.

i just got approved for fedex, so now its time to find a van................

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well i may be new on here, but i think i made a fair point, glad you agree.............

I don't just agree with it but been trying to get EO into this idea that the more info up front, the better the site.

Post a locked sticky with specific links on the home page of the Newbies forum. These links are threads that are locked and the mods can agree which threads answer the more common questions.

Searching is a pain in the a**, period. No one should have to weed through 100 threads to find one answer. It should be the second step in finding answers and it is actually a turn off to many new and potential members.

With some sites that have 5 times the participation, they do the same thing as I describe. It only makes sense that there would be some sort of centralized subject centric thread directing members to good threads when there is so much information.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
right now i am trying to find a van, so for me it would be great if there was a section for reviews on vans/trucks, where people could review: reliability, mpg, engines, transmission, maintenance costs, dimensions, outfitting etc. Really whats needed is the answers to the most common questions in a dedicated section without discussion, so that threads stay on topic. I think that would also help drive more traffic to this site.
The problem with the newbie section is that it is too spread out and the search function is at best tedious.
That being said this is a great site, thanks to everyone involved.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The Newbies FAQ section is a start, but it doesn't seem to be maintained. Maybe if it was posted more prominently front and center, it would be maintained better.

eb

Brisco

Expert Expediter
The Newbies FAQ section is a start, but it doesn't seem to be maintained. Maybe if it was posted more prominently front and center, it would be maintained better.

eb

Yep.....I agree.

Almost all of those 69 questions and answers for "Newbies" have an "Updated" date going back to 2005. Also, some of the answers are incorrect.

I've sent in the correct answer to #6 a couple of times, nothing has been done about it. There's a couple of more I can't recall right off the bat, but for someone that is experienced with "trucking", I find that "List" almost useless and deceiving to those that want to learn a little about trucking.