lease prchase cargo van or sprinter?

shawnm1981

Seasoned Expediter
does anyone know of any dealerships that lease purchase expedited trucks i found a place in ohi years ago but forgot there name and cant find anything online anymore I need a sprinter or cargo van to run I would accept running for someone else most are saying 60/40 split does that leave enough profit for me if i drive for a fleet and does anyone know if express 1 places drivers with owners/fleets like tri state does?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might want to read back a ways in the forums. The first issue is that many carriers aren't putting on vans. There is a clue.
Van freight is slow. Let me repeat that again. VAN FREIGHT IS SLOW.
With regards to a lease purchase...........BAD IDEA.
If you can't pay cash for one, go into carpet cleaning or something.
As mentioned 100 times over, I have never seen a lease purchase go to fruition.
Again....read back through the forums. If by chance you are currently unemployed, stay away if you are thinking of getting rich with a van.
Did I say "Van freight is slow"

guido4475

Not a Member
and who would have cash to buy a van anyway?lol. money doesnt grow on trees!!! especially in this business! not everyone is a retiree with a pension coming in, either.

shawnm1981

Seasoned Expediter
i'm only 28 so no pension I am just looking to make about 6 to 700 after expenses a week i ran with t state in a straight truck then with a van and i made real good money in 04 to 06 and when i was with them back then they always said van freight was slow but i used to make profit about 1100 a week just hit some real hard times right now and need a lil income quick

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Expediting has changed dramatically since 04 to 06. It's not the same at all. Back then you could make 1000 a week without even trying. Now, 6 to 700 a week after expenses is one of the more rare better weeks in a van. But, like you said, if all you need is a lil income, then van expediting is for you, cause a lil income is all you're gonna get out of it. Problem is, it won't be quick. And you definitely won't make that driving for someone else and splitting it 60/40.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
just last night in beaverdam oh i was talking to a 68yo fella running a sprinter for e1. he bought it thru them so they co signed for it. the payment is 275$ a week. with the slowness of the economy he told me he is 2600$ in arrears and taking advances to live. he has not applied for ss yet but that will only pay him 378$ a month. someone at express-1 blew some incredible smoke up that guy. the recruiter should be tarred and feathered. this guy will lose the truck eventually and e1 will put another sucker into it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Most dealerships will lease truck with option to purchase at the end. I know you can lease trucks through Ryder or Penske not sure about expeditor type trucks but they do lease Sprinters

guido4475

Not a Member
okay, so here is a question for you van guys. which is better, gas or diesel? i know longevity would have to go to the diesel, but i have seen gas engine vans at 500k. how does a gas engine react to idling as far as gas consumption and engine temp vs a diesel? just curious, as i am thinking about a cargo van,preferably a ford e-350. got a freind at dodge that tells me to stay away from a sprinter for the mechanical reasons, even though the mileage and room wins hands down.my co will put me on in a e-350, and i wouldnt work for anyone else anyway.any input is greatly appreciated.thanks.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'd go for the gas engine since they are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Look at the price difference of diesel fuel and gas. BTW I hear rumors of a gas Sprinter is coming out.

guido4475

Not a Member
thanks for the only reply to my question!! i figured as much sitting as we are all doing, i'd have more info and responses to this question!!! what is everyone doing while waiting for a load? i'm considering selling my body as a means of income....lol

aileron

Expert Expediter
Let's see. I drove my Sprinter for 260k. I get consistently 25 miles/gallon of diesel. After some calculations that I will not bore you with, I saved 7000 gallons of fuel over someone that gets 15 miles/gallon on a gas van. If you consider diesel at only $2 a gallon, I saved $14000 so far. I know that gas is cheaper, so let's drop that to $10000. So, I paid 29500 for my van new, so with the fuel savings so far it is as if I would have bought it for $20000. If you can buy a new ford van for 20000, than we are even, but my savings keep adding up. Note that for a while fuel was over $4 a gallon, so, in reality, my savings are a lot more than this.

So, I will buy a diesel sprinter over any gas van any time. By the way, gas sprinters are already here, just that not many people are buying them. However, this is not the time to get into expediting. My van is paid off, which is good, but this year I havent grossed over $500 a week. And from these I pay fuel, insurance, fees... I don't know how I would have made it now with a truck payment.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gas is cheap?? Not this week yhe margin between gas and diesel has narrowed considerably between 10-15 cents difference....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
just last night in beaverdam oh i was talking to a 68yo fella running a sprinter for e1. he bought it thru them so they co signed for it. the payment is 275$ a week. with the slowness of the economy he told me he is 2600$ in arrears and taking advances to live. he has not applied for ss yet but that will only pay him 378$ a month. someone at express-1 blew some incredible smoke up that guy. the recruiter should be tarred and feathered. this guy will lose the truck eventually and e1 will put another sucker into it.

I can't understand why he's behind? We are not that slow....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been hearing stories of dealers actually bargaining now to move (sell) sprinters off the lot....I am hearing 37-39 thou off the lot down from the 45 thou range....why lease? and if your credit is that bad this isn't the time to be out here! It is a doom situation.
Thats for the 08's...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can't understand why he's behind? We are not that slow....

He is not a team driver. I was with E-1 for 7 months and only grossed 20k. That is not very fast for me. lol Also I know which gentleman you are talking about; he has a very nice sleeper and is from Indiana I think.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Also, let me clarify my statement. I was abailable 100% of the time for the entire 7 months. I live on the road and do not take time off unless i'm deathly ill or getting repairs done to the truck.

Last edited by a moderator: