It's a Merry Christmas Month

guido4475

Not a Member
How many times has it been said that turn downs are to track layover pay. If they want to bid you a load and you say no then you don't get to claim it. Really no different then them having a load and turning it down. Don't know why some worry so much about turndowns. Other than you lose layover. An opportunity to move you, whether a bid or an actual load is still lost by you saying no !!! It's really no big deal, it's just 75 or 50 bucks or whatever you lose !!!

He stated in his post that he spent several days in K.C., so I think layover pay wasn't the issue.

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
How many times has it been said "oh it's no problem, we'll just outsource it."
It's my party, I'll cry if I want to.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How many times has it been said that turn downs are to track layover pay. If they want to bid you a load and you say no then you don't get to claim it. Really no different then them having a load and turning it down. Don't know why some worry so much about turndowns. Other than you lose layover. An opportunity to move you, whether a bid or an actual load is still lost by you saying no !!! It's really no big deal, it's just 75 or 50 bucks or whatever you lose !!!

People just get frustrated after sitting so much and have to vent. Remember straights don't experience extended sitting as much as vans do.

I'll will admit turn downs bug me too. Until they are applied evenly its going to be an in exact science. These days when I see or hear turn down I immediately turn it into decline in my mind. For some reason that term doesn't bug me as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
People just get frustrated after sitting so much and have to vent. Remember straights don't experience extended sitting as much as vans do.

I'll will admit turn downs bug me too. Until they are applied evenly its going to be an in exact science. These days when I see or hear turn down I immediately turn it into decline in my mind. For some reason that term doesn't bug me as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Agreed. Evenly.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
on my last turn down I was informed that John was beating dispatch up over layover pay...."record every turn down" they were told....he wants to see that reduced...which I can't blame him..that is 100% loss off the profit line....

That is why I turn down very little....most of the time our dispatch doesn't win the bid anyhow...how many times have you said Yes and sit there and prey they don't win it?....LOL....they always mange to win the real ugly ones tho.....prolly because no one else wants it....LOL

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well it is also the way we track for sales to look at accounts and to see what else comes into play on an account. I have often said clearly and fairly we shouldn't be paying layover to trucks that limit where we can send them. Layover is an extra, it is not part of the contract so yes like any business we need to manage and control that cost. You all know the system and it is your choice to make your own decisions based on it. Is it forced dispatch? Hardly.

The system was put together with our drivers input. Is it perfect or am I going to debate this whole thing every time someone doesn't like it? Simple answer is no.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well it is also the way we track for sales to look at accounts and to see what else comes into play on an account. I have often said clearly and fairly we shouldn't be paying layover to trucks that limit where we can send them. Layover is an extra, it is not part of the contract so yes like any business we need to manage and control that cost. You all know the system and it is your choice to make your own decisions based on it. Is it forced dispatch? Hardly.

The system was put together with our drivers input. Is it perfect or am I going to debate this whole thing every time someone doesn't like it? Simple answer is no.

I agree....just because I don't want to do say, NYC or south Florida....I don't expect YOU to pay for my fussiness...that would not be fair to Load 1.......that said...I think Scott was just venting...it is very frustrating out there at times.....the need to vent is very important to the sanity equation....sunglasses.gif

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree....just because I don't want to do say, NYC or south Florida....I don't expect YOU to pay for my fussiness...that would not be fair to Load 1.......that said...I think Scott was just venting...it is very frustrating out there at times.....the need to vent is very important to the sanity equation....View attachment 8079

I agree....you guys should hear me sometimes! :cool:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thought Ovm said that I wasted a perfectly good reply.
, lol

ent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I took a wrong turn five days ago nothing seems to be moving in El Paso more trucks arriving every day and I don't see anybody leaving :( only good thing is able to wait out all the bad weather. Got to find a positive anywhere I can haha :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I took a wrong turn five days ago nothing seems to be moving in El Paso more trucks arriving every day and I don't see anybody leaving :( only good thing is able to wait out all the bad weather. Got to find a positive anywhere I can haha :)

Patience...it is coming...Jeremy is on Friday you'll be outta there on Saturday!!