Im concerned about...

mccutchancrew

Seasoned Expediter
The trucking industry right now, Im still here at JB Hunt and we are dead in the water. I work for a dedicated acount hauling beef and I have only worked two days this week.

Question, are you all working now after the holidays or is the fear of a ression hitting expidite trucking?

Thanks for any info,
mike

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well speaking for myself, it is slow - maybe why I am so cynical.

But as for a recession, hey I live in the only state that hasn't had any good times in such a long time we think recessions are good times.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have been busy this January. Oddly enough, at the pace we are going, it may wind up better than December. No real reason for it except maybe less trucks out?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
As I posted in another thread, last week (first week in service after the holidays) was my highest-ever since I started back in March of '07. Probably more the luck of the draw than anything - right place, right time. This week has been slower - only one run so far - but it was 743 miles.

A friend of mine is on a load right now that will put him at close to 2000 paid miles for the week when he drops, if not over - ya just never know. Right place, right time. :cool:

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hit or miss for us but staying out as the 1st quarter last year was our best for the year..
Like Dave Jan is better than Dec for us.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
tom petty at the super bowl halftime show singing the expediter song.......waaaaaaaiiiting is the hardest part.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We are doing good so far in 08, seems to be plenty of freight at plenty good rates. Just depends maybe on how you go about it. Could depend on if you want to hit a couple home runs then sit at the house for a week, or run steady.

Usually there are reasons other than the freight that make things slow or busy.

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Davekc - been with Panther almost 6 years and this is the worst month we have ever had. Good load centers are swamped with trucks and no where to go within reason and now it appears we are becomming more of a delivery service. Are we becomming the industry leader in mini and less than 300 mile loads? Anyone who buys a truck right now to get into expediting is in for a big letdown. We have always tried to be positive and not openly complain but it is rediculous right now.