How To Get Meds

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
What do folks do to get a prescription renewed when they are on the road?

Many physicians require an annual visit in order to renew a person's prescription. I have been taking the same BP med for years. As a former member of the medical community I know how to check my BP!

Why force me to pay $70-100 for an office visit that will result in my BP, height and weight being checked before the physician writes another prescription with refills.

There has to be a less expensive and more convenient way to get one's prescriptions refilled.

ShadowMaster

Seasoned Expediter
I used walmart and my prescriptions just carry over to the new store. I only do that as a last resort. Personally I carry two months of meds with me each time I go out.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Understand, but I can't get my physician to renew my prescription without an office visit.

Anybody know what truck stop clinics charge for an office visit? I remember seeing one at the Petro in Knoxville.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Find another physician? Some will only carry a prescription for a certain period of time because of liability issues. I would be surprised if a doctor would carry a prescription for longer than a years time on anything without seeing you at least once in that yearly period.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I don't know of any way to "get around" the rules of the doctor game that makes you come back every so often to get your refills so I'll address the expense and traveling part.

You might be able to find a clinic of some kind that would charge less. Maybe an urgent care center? Maybe one of the clinics in/close to some truckstops that do DOT physicals could help you for less.

Personally, I would be thrilled to pay $70 per office call...our's is $125.

OOPS...guess we were posting at the same time!!

We use Sam's Club on the road to refill, they work the same as Walmart.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Understand, but I can't get my physician to renew my prescription without an office visit.

Anybody know what truck stop clinics charge for an office visit? I remember seeing one at the Petro in Knoxville.

Look up that Petro location on the net or in a truck stop book and call.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am on a snot load of scripts... 3 for BP alone...my Dr writes them for a year and if I should be caught out on the road he will renew for 30 days and call it into Walmart..to give me a chance to get home...

Besides I need my year DOT physical anyhow so I shouldn't run out...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You might wanna consider using Cayenne Pepper (Capsicum) which is available in capsule form from health food stores (at a reasonable price) - as opposed to paying obscene prices to the Medical Mafia for some toxic substance to poison yourself with - Google it, or go here:

Cayenne Pepper: Herbal Remedies

Jus' sayin' ......

greg334

Veteran Expediter
With the many many clinics we have across the country, it shouldn't be a problem. Concentra and other workplace clinics can and do check vitals cheaply and most of the will work with you. If it is just BP, height and weight, just show up when you think they are not busy (call ahead) and have them fax the results to your doctor. ANyone can do that, so if it costs $20 while you are on the road, it is a DOT expense.

But with that said, unless you are teetering on deaths door, I would look at getting a new doc or augment the one you got by having one that will write you your vital scripts.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
word up.......gracie was low on her bp meds. walgrens last time charged her 10 dollars for the 30 days. this time they wanted over 45. since we were heading to ny state we tried to get a scrip transfer to a walmart in ny state. we were told once a scrip transfers to ny state it stays there. plus there was a 24 hr transfer time to wait. we changed to cvs and got it right away at a much reduced cost.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I am on a snot load of scripts... 3 for BP alone...my Dr writes them for a year and if I should be caught out on the road he will renew for 30 days and call it into Walmart..to give me a chance to get home...

Besides I need my year DOT physical anyhow so I shouldn't run out...

:eek: Jeez OVM, sounds like you need to change some habits. Doesn't being on 3 BP meds scare the crap out of you. I'd be watching my diet and excercise big time if I were on 1 BP med. 3??? yeowzzzzza! :D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
You might wanna consider using Cayenne Pepper (Capsicum) which is available in capsule form from health food stores (at a reasonable price) - as opposed to paying obscene prices to the Medical Mafia for some toxic substance to poison yourself with - Google it, or go here:

Cayenne Pepper: Herbal Remedies

Jus' sayin' ......

My husband swears by these same herbal remedys. lol He uses the Cayenne plus, vinegar, celery seed, tumeric, rosemary, oregeno, basil, fresh garlic, 100% cacoa dark chocolate(no sugar, no milk), just to name a few. Constantly trying to get me to take some herbal thing or other he's come up with. Does the oil pulling thing to with the sunflower oil (YUCK, no way) lol

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
PDMD in West Memphis, Knoxville, and I think Lake Station. However, I think some are closed. Google it. I got my DOT there once for 45.00....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
PDMD- Never mind

The Professional Drivers Medical Depot will not be reopening.
Founded in 2006, PDMD operated five clinics at truck stops in Knoxville, TN; West Memphis, AR; El Paso and Laredo, TX; and Atlanta. An issue with the clinic’s bank loan shuttered all five clinic doors on May 4; PDMD investors agreed not to reopen on Tuesday, May 12.

A source close to the situation confirmed to Land Line on Tuesday that the clinic locations could reopen, though it appears such a reopening won’t happen “under the PDMD banner.”

Dr. John McElligott, who founded the clinic, said PDMD patients can remain under his care. McElligott is asking drivers who need medical advice or consultations to call a newly installed Trucker’s Call Center at 865-862-8902. Information can also be faxed to the call center at 865-558-9551.
McElligott told Land Line last week that the clinics had encountered difficulty in bringing new investors into an existing loan with a Tennessee bank.
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../051309-02.htm

Read more: Truckstop clinics close for good

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I get all but one of mine mailed to my PO Box. The other I get at Wally World. I just got a 1 year script and can get it filled at any Wally World. I have no problem seeing the DR. once a year, everyone should anyway. That is just basic PM work, like changing your oil in your truck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have found in my travels not all Walmarts are the same....some drugs are under the 4 dollar rule and some are not depending on drug

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Might be, I don't know. The one I get is a 90 day supply and I can ALWAYS get by my local Wally World in that time frame but have the option to use others. The list that they SHOULD be going by is on line.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Might be, I don't know. The one I get is a 90 day supply and I can ALWAYS get by my local Wally World in that time frame but have the option to use others. The list that they SHOULD be going by is on line.

Local Walmarts do the compete pricing thingee....my Norvasc is 55 bucks for 30 days everywhere cept Missouri where it is 10 bucks for 90 days..go figure?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I don't mind going to any physician that charges reasonable rates. Moreover, as a former patient care tech I know the simple routine. I can take my own blood pressure, height, weight, listen to my breath sounds and complete a physical history assessment form.

It is like me changing my oil at a reasonable cost as opposed to going into a truck center oil change facility that charges a grossly high price for simple service.