Has it back fired?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My question of "should he tried harder to keep it on track" was a honest question.
Remember the thread started out as a very informative thread. I don't measure my words as carefully as Randy or Turtle, with that being said, I could have said "could he have kept it informative"
The obvious answer is no, but he could have tried.

Being an ex DI, Back in the day I was pretty decent at talking about what I wanted to. :D

Dennis I'm sure that it's not just you. I'm sure the people that chat endlessly thru threads think it's funny. But there are more than a few that sent me PM's and e-mail that said the same thing.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but think of it this way... You and the wife go to the movies and have 50% of the movie goers talking during the previews. Then 20% talk thru the entire movie.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
""""
My question of "should he tried harder to keep it on track" was a honest question.
Remember the thread started out as a very informative thread. I don't measure my words as carefully as Randy or Turtle, with that being said, I could have said "could he have kept it informative"

Being an ex DI, Back in the day I was pretty decent at talking about what I wanted to. :D""""""

Could I have tried to keep it on track or change the direction of the thread...yes. Would a lot of people viewed that as me "recruiting" or "cheerleading", probably. I am not sure which was the better answer, but I let it run it's own course. I think we have all seen a lot of thinly veiled "recruiting" by corporate posters on here. I did not want to be accused of that.

Kind of no win I guess. I hope over the time I have posted people have come to view as pretty objective and hopefully I bring a different perspective. But, I am sure that not everyone views having a CEO here as a good thing.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Being an ex DI, Back in the day I was pretty decent at talking about what I wanted to. :D

Could I have tried to keep it on track or change the direction of the thread...yes. Would a lot of people viewed that as me "recruiting" or "cheerleading", probably. I am not sure which was the better answer, but I let it run it's own course. I think we have all seen a lot of thinly veiled "recruiting" by corporate posters on here. I did not want to be accused of that.

Kind of no win I guess. I hope over the time I have posted people have come to view as pretty objective and hopefully I bring a different perspective. But, I am sure that not everyone views having a CEO here as a good thing.
Speaking only for my self, I see it as a good, almost great thing. I have read most of your posts and feel that you came across fair and balanced (not like Fox :p )

I never read something you posted and said "here we go". I think it is a good thing that we see the other side of the picture from someone not pushing an agenda. Please accept my apologies if I offended you in anyway, it was and is not my intent.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Speaking only for my self, I see it as a good, almost great thing. I have read most of your posts and feel that you came across fair and balanced (not like Fox :p )

I never read something you posted and said "here we go". I think it is a good thing that we see the other side of the picture from someone not pushing an agenda. Please accept my apologies if I offended you in anyway, it was and is not my intent.

None taken sir, none taken.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Jimbo,

It appears you wearing that keen observation hat once again ......

The thread for Load 1 has gone from a good informative thread to a thread full of idiotic comments.
Wow ...... here on EO ...... really ?

Now that's a really big surprise ...... :rolleyes:

Some posters that are trying to keep the thread on the first page and in the limelight have been reduced to talking about pickles and cheesecake.
You have to have admit ....... utter banality has a sort of inherent beauty to it .... in a sort of gleeful kind of way .....

Why not just type 'Bump to the top' every couple of hours?
Works for me .... ;)

Some talked about how unprofessional it was when an operations manager posted youtube links in a different thread, I agree that the L1 thread started out great but now how is that thread much different? Granted it was not the Operations Manger posting stupid stuff but....
Not much .... 'cept you can actually still locate and read this one .... :D

Should the President of the company tried a little harder to keep the thread on track so that it could have remained informative.
Short of contracting only those who have enough awareness and common sense to realize that what they were doing was being a complete and total distraction from allowing their carrier to use utilize a perfect opportunity to get their message out ?

Well, yeah .... probably .... but I suspect that Mr. Elliot has his plate full enough without having to babysit ....

Ontario Van Man has 70 posts
JuJu has 27 posts
217 posts by three people in a thread of 602 posts.
I think I once read somewhere that some folks talk because they have something to say ...... and others talk because they just gotta say something ......

Or should I just get a life?
Considering you're not choking various threads with trite, tired crapola, I'm guessing you might probably already have one ...... ;)

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
BTW, I completely concur with Jim - it is entirely refreshing to see a company principal on EO and making themselves available to the great unwashed masses .... J.E. is a credit to his position and profession for doing so.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If poking yourself in the eye with a stick hurt would.you continue to do it?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Still the top post in the web support and administration category and in the top thirty most viewed!!! LOL

Ok, even I have to laugh at myself sometimes! :)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Still the top post in the web support and administration category and in the top thirty most viewed!!! LOL

Ok, even I have to laugh at myself sometimes! :)

I'm seeing a pattern here John. I think the back fire that back fired - maybe back firing. LOL!

Wait? Top post in this forum too? :)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If poking yourself in the eye with a stick hurt would.you continue to do it?
Only if my handler continued to feed me a chocolate bon-bon every time, after I did it ... :D

Please excuse me .... I have to go ...... it seems my hand is trying to strangle me .....

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
Im thinking it would have been a more appropriate place to post eighty percent of the those posts.

I'm thinking that if I was really bothered by the Load 1 thread, I would just skip over that one and read threads that don't offend me. What guidelines should be used to assure that posts are in an appropriate location? Every thread strays from the original title. Do we need a thread policeman to make sure they stay on course? That was tried on the no banter location thread. Really didn't work too well. If all of these threads were restricted to no banter or no straying off course, this would make very boring reading! That's my opinion, for what it's worth!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing that I think is missing here is the fact that John isn't recruiting here...
Funniest line ever. :D

Granted, his candor is refreshing, and his recruiting isn't blatant nor intrusive but rather opportunistic, but it's recruiting and advertising just the same. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

His approach to recruiting is simply more novel than the usual, and is venue and target-audience appropriate. John would be a fool to plop himself down in the middle of the cream-of-the-crop, experienced and savvy expediters and start dishing out the usual recruiter crap on a cracker that we've all been fed before. But he's not a fool. He instead maintains a low-key presence and answers questions honestly when the opportunity presents itself. And the method is clearly successful.

It's either that, or he's the beneficiary of being the luckiest president of a carrier, ever, where wet dream-quality recruiting threads that you couldn't buy if you wanted to spontaneously appear where all you have to do is answer a few questions while experienced expediters volunteer to line up behind you in a high-kicking chorus line. Life is good.

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter

\
It's either that, or he's the beneficiary of being the luckiest president of a carrier, ever, where wet dream-quality recruiting threads that you couldn't buy if you wanted to spontaneously appear where all you have to do is answer a few questions while
[experienced expediters volunteer to line up behind you in a high-kicking chorus line.

Life is good.

The EXPEDIETTES! ;)
Or LOAD 1 cuties?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Granted, his candor is refreshing, and his recruiting isn't blatant nor intrusive but rather opportunistic, but it's recruiting and advertising just the same. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

His approach to recruiting is simply more novel than the usual, and is venue and target-audience appropriate. John would be a fool to plop himself down in the middle of the cream-of-the-crop, experienced and savvy expediters and start dishing out the usual recruiter crap on a cracker that we've all been fed before. But he's not a fool. He instead maintains a low-key presence and answers questions honestly when the opportunity presents itself. And the method is clearly successful.

It's either that, or he's the beneficiary of being the luckiest president of a carrier, ever, where wet dream-quality recruiting threads that you couldn't buy if you wanted to spontaneously appear where all you have to do is answer a few questions while experienced expediters volunteer to line up behind you in a high-kicking chorus line. Life is good.

Without a doubt the whole thing worked out well for the company. I agree, it was a 100 times more valuable than a pop up ad, but that is because it was real. Recruiting isn't really done with ads, banners, web sites, and stuff. That is really just building brand recognition. Recruiting is when a o/o is sitting somewhere talking with a o/o from another carrier. That conversation often goes to the...."so how do you like it over there?" That is the moment that a company is successful or not.

Turtle I agree a ton with what you said. The only real difference is something you would see if you met me in person. This is me! I like what I do, and I like the challenges everyday. I think most of my guys would say that the "John" on here is the same "John" in real life. I think one of the things that makes it a little different for me is that I was a fleet owner for almost 10 years before I moved to become a carrier. It is a great advantage to REALLY understand both sides of a business like trucking.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The answer to the title of the thread is NO
If we want to talk about pickles, cheesecakes, John's Jag or what ever that is what it is. If someone doesn't like it just don't open the thread, if someone annoys you put them on ignore it really is that simple. Kinda reminds me of the location thread fiasco, which one is still popular and survived out of the 20 or so versions? The original one.
I like the load one thread the way it is. Also, I think it goes to show better then any recruiter or ad that the people at Load 1 are happy to be there and that John is the most approachable CEO.
BTW John, that new building is so nice I think OVM might move in there :p:eek:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
But John...some carriers have lost touch with the ground troops even WITH having come from the trenches themselves....Look at the Welch boys and Mr. Avery....really lost in the corporate world...sure they and the company is successful...at the cost of many hard working O/O's...
Pantherization is a small step away...

Don't worry, I don't like cats! LOL