Has it back fired?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well I guess everyone chooses how to build their company. The ones that you noted have been highly successful on many levels. To be successful in this industry you have to be able to be corporate (such as with banks, or customers). I guess you have to know when it is a benefit and when it is a detriment to success. Finding the right balance is the trick! That and you have to try and build a mentality so that people in the company view or handle things like you would. One person can't do it all, but he can try and build a team that can. This goes full circle from VP's, Owner Ops, Mechanics, Drivers, Admin and every other piece.

Ok, off to the chiropractor!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well I guess everyone chooses how to build their company. The ones that you noted have been highly successful on many levels. To be successful in this industry you have to be able to be corporate (such as with banks, or customers). I guess you have to know when it is a benefit and when it is a detriment to success. Finding the right balance is the trick! That and you have to try and build a mentality so that people in the company view or handle things like you would. One person can't do it all, but he can try and build a team that can. This goes full circle from VP's, Owner Ops, Mechanics, Drivers, Admin and every other piece.

Ok, off to the chiropractor!

Bump to top. :D

John, Sent you a PM.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
MichiGANDERS..make me think you all are a bunch of squawking geese....*lol* if you're not squawkin you are poopin...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The point made by JJ, reinforced by RELENT & Turtle is one I've tried to make before: the bits of useful knowledge that many of us enjoy picking up on EO keep getting buried under tons of irrelevant [and trite & banal & just plain stupid] chitchat.
Those who defend and/or excuse it are the same ones who perpetuate it, then point to it's existence as a justification - I think that's called a circular argument....
Telling those of us who object to it to ignore the thread and/or certain posters is extremely selfish - not what made EO what it is [or was] at all.
If those who fill the threads with chat don't rein themselves in, [use private msgs!] the interest level will fall off, until they [and newbies and lurkers] are all that's left. And so it goes.
And BTW: it's in no way John's fault - and we are lucky to have him here.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are certainly a few who use EO as if it were a PM service, or chat, or Facebook. There's one thread on here, in fact, where if appears that one user should be made aware of Twitter, since that's what it looks like. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There are certainly a few who use EO as if it were a PM service, or chat, or Facebook. There's one thread on here, in fact, where if appears that one user should be made aware of Twitter, since that's what it looks like. :D

Sigh.
I forgot to add that the reason it's gotten to the point it has is that the guilty parties are folks we like - we don't want to hurt their feelings or embarrass them in any way.
But I can tell my friends they're driving me crazy, if need be, [and that goes both ways], so I'm telling them now. Because EO is unique among websites, and I'd hate to see it deteriorate into a 'clique' site, like the other expedite site. [The one that was moribund last time I checked.]

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But does it really matter?

John did a great marketing thing, whether or not he started it does not matter but the effort is just something in line with good marketing strategy. A lot of companies try this and fail, but a lot of companies don't just get the culture that they are trying to talk to.

Another thread was started like it, those who represented the company, well one of them, didn't really represent the company in the best light. Don't care to mention that one, I'm not slamming them but rather using them as an example of a poor attempt.

I understand Jim's point, thinking his answer is no, it didn't backfire but still wonder sometimes ... but it comes down to the fact that it did generate interest, questions were answered and done in a rather informal setting which showed more of the company's culture than we have seen here in a long long time. MAYBE some companies should take an interest, somethings can be learned about it and if it is an off topic thread, it serves a purpose to communicate and get people talking.

So to me it does matter but in a positive way.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't checked that other expedite site in quite a while. Big time boring and trite. EO's always been better and it would be a shame if it didn't stay that way.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being an ex admin of the other site....limiting the chit chat had an opposite effect....it killed any topic.....cut and dry info is fine....keep it all business and watch this place die too....
If you follow trends of threads by topic after the initial flurry of responses it dies a natural death..the last few posts are usually chit chat....most of the useful info is contained on the first page of most topics....

Question asked
Question answered...pretty cut and dry...

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Dakota said:
The answer to the title of the thread is NO
No, your answer is no.
If we want to talk about pickles, cheesecakes, John's Jag or what ever that is what it is.
And everybody else be ****ed. The lack of courtesy shown in that statement is no surprise.
If someone doesn't like it just don't open the thread,
Yep if I don't want to read about six or seven members shorts, pickles, cheesecake, and other stupid tripe, I'll just skip an informative thread because of six or seven egotistical posters that can't stand using the proper venue for posting their blather.

if someone annoys you put them on ignore it really is that simple.
Using the thread mentioned only as an example OVM started out providing useful information germane to the topic. Then went on to talk, and talk, and talk about nothing. I would have missed his good information because of his habit of filling threads with mind numbing comments about shorts.
Kinda reminds me of the location thread fiasco,
That was my intention.
which one is still popular and survived out of the 20 or so versions?
I don't know. I'm guessing if you took all of the chat out it would be a whole lot smaller.
I like the load one thread the way it is.
Not surprising seeing how you are one of the top nonsense posters.
Also, I think it goes to show better then any recruiter or ad that the people at Load 1 are happy to be there
Well if I was asking a recruiter questions about their pay structure and he started telling about some gawd awful shorts and pickles, I think I'd walk away. Are you asking a lot of members to walk away from EOL? Because you can't, or will not use enough self discipline, or just plain simple common courtesy, and post in an appropriate thread.
and that John is the most approachable CEO.
If you cared to read Hundreds of useless chatter to get to that conclusion.
BTW John, that new building is so nice I think OVM might move in there :p:eek:
This is an example of how you can properly respond to a thread and still throw off topic comments in.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Hey..I don't bring up about my shorts..everyone else does....but guilty on the rest...

One of the points that I am attempting to make, is there is a time and place for everything. In my opinion taking to a President of a Carrier is not one of those times or places.

The other point is I think you and several others were intentionally(not saying John) "bumping the thread to the top"

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There have been times said President has mentioned my shorts all by himself....like suggesting the framing of them...

bumping the thread is one thing I don't even think of..I have no vested interest to keep it alive...I sure don't want any more units over here for the time being. if it dies fine by me....