Has it back fired?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Being an ex admin of the other site....limiting the chit chat had an opposite effect....it killed any topic.....cut and dry info is fine....keep it all business and watch this place die too...
.Ken, ask yourself: is it possible that [being most of the participants] the mods ignored the problem until most people had been bored enough to skip the site? Be honest.
If you follow trends of threads by topic after the initial flurry of responses it dies a natural death..the last few posts are usually chit chat....most of the useful info is contained on the first page of most topics....
What about the folks who are busy, and don't log on for a few days - have they nothing to add, ya think? Or do they just forget it, seeing the thread has become more of the same idle chat, again?

Question asked
Question answered...pretty cut and dry...
Maintaining a balance is never cut & dried - it's always needing to be nudged here, shoved there, and poked as needed. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fine...then have some REAL moderators....not just babysitters that lock threads and hand out language warnings...lets have some guidance...some leadership and direction....

besides I've been pretty restrained to a couple threads...*LOL*

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the context of posting on EO, I think said President considers himself just another poster.

This confirms it for me.

John just happens to own a bigger business...then mine..

We look each other in the eye and talk as equals...

and we put our pants on the same way....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Fine...then have some REAL moderators....not just babysitters that lock threads and hand out language warnings...lets have some guidance...some leadership and direction....

besides I've been pretty restrained to a couple threads...*LOL*

IMO, it's not an issue the mods should have to deal with - we are all adults, and should police our own behavior, as we do our language. [Folks are surprised to hear me cuss like a truck driver, in person, when the occasion warrants.]:eek:
Besides, at least one of the mods is also one of the worst offenders at posting idle chat that ought to be sent as a PM, and using EO as a personal Twitter site.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMO, it's not an issue the mods should have to deal with - we are all adults, and should police our own behavior, as we do our language. [Folks are surprised to hear me cuss like a truck driver, in person, when the occasion warrants.]:eek:
Besides, at least one of the mods is also one of the worst offenders at posting idle chat that ought to be sent as a PM, and using EO as a personal Twitter site.

If idle chit chat is a problem then YES it is a mods issue...what are they here for?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being an ex admin of the other site....limiting the chit chat had an opposite effect....it killed any topic.....cut and dry info is fine....keep it all business and watch this place die too....

I don't recall ever seeing the other site with much of a pulse.

I don't think anyone's saying just all business. It's just a matter of degree. You mentioned that you're trying to confine the "chatter" to just a couple of threads and I think that's the right idea. I differed from others in feeling that "locations" is the kind of thread where that's appropriate. Where are ya and whatcha doin' just lends itself to all kinds of conversation.

In the past we've seen some great comic relief on EO. It would be great to get that back. I saw a picture of the shorts and, yeah, they were really something. But, after a few days they kind of ran their course.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Life is short and we all have plenty of serious issues to deal with every day. Their is nothing wrong with a little chit chat or mindless stuff at times. To me that is part of what makes this site a community versus just an information resource. It is also (good or bad at times) what makes it somewhat engaging.

Some threads have been great and very interesting. I actually read some of my competitors areas. It is great information into learning what is going on out there.

My two cents.....don't lose the sense of community that makes this site different and makes it work. People on here are actually Friends and care about each others well being. I get pm's from o/o's looking for advice or suggestions all the time. These are not pm's about signing on with my company. The point is this site makes people approachable. It provides advice, information, and sometimes a smile on your face.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If you are going to post in the locations thread at least post your location.

Something like Still stuck in Laredo coming up on 3 weeks now.
hey OVM had your morning coffee yet?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
From a marketing perspective Jaminjim is the man. He created a popular thread discussing the other popular thread!!!

Ok, I just had to have a little fun.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If idle chit chat is a problem then YES it is a mods issue...what are they here for?

No, I don't think we want to be heavily moderated.
I don't want a moderator deleting posts because I mentioned mustard in a hotdog thread.
I don't want to read a 100 post thread about hotdogs if 40 or 50% don't deal with food, condiments, napkins, or Tums. At least put most of the chatter and responses to chatter after you tell me about the chicken lips in the hotdog.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, I don't think we want to be heavily moderated.
I don't want a moderator deleting posts because I mentioned mustard in a hotdog thread.
I don't want to read a 100 post thread about hotdogs if 40 or 50% don't deal with food, condiments, napkins, or Tums. At least put most of the chatter and responses to chatter after you tell me about the chicken lips in the hotdog.

If it is a serious topic a mod can simply remind say ME or anyone else to stay on track IF I should stray too far away from the subject matter...to moderate a discussion or debate....

what are 12 mods doing?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If it is a serious topic a mod can simply remind say ME or anyone else to stay on track IF I should stray too far away from the subject matter...to moderate a discussion or debate....

what are 12 mods doing?
girls are fine 100 valley girls is too much. stray off topic fine, get in a hey coffee time ok, blow up an entire thread in the name of keeping it interesting .... not so ok...ok?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
girls are fine 100 valley girls is too much. stray off topic fine, get in a hey coffee time ok, blow up an entire thread in the name of keeping it interesting .... not so ok...ok?

in your opinion...and a couple others....you don't seem to be in the majority....maybe the silent majority....ok?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I take your comment as being one of the top nonsense posters as a compliment ;) Anyways, I do post valuable and informative stuff and answers to newbees questions on occasion.
I enjoy the sense of community here.:)
Also having a serious case of ADHD doesn't help me stay on topic much. That is probably why I enjoy a job that is not the same every day.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I take your comment as being one of the top nonsense posters as a compliment ;)
Well I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way;)
Anyways, I do post valuable and informative stuff and answers to newbees questions on occasion.
I'm glad you did/do that is one of the things that makes this site what it is. Please continue.
I enjoy the sense of community here.:)
I totally agree, if not I sure wouldn't come back to this site as often as I do.
Also having a serious case of ADHD doesn't help me stay on topic much. That is probably why I enjoy a job that is not the same every day.
To do what you do for a living you have to enjoy change.