hard times

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
It was in the late 1980's a friend of mine at Roberts Express,who now has his trucks at the cats,once said to me,with all the competition,the 4 and 5000 dollar weeks are going to be lower for all of us. It did happen for some,but most of us still maintained the same income,we just had to run more dead head miles to keep our income up.With the competition even greater now,and a slow economy,the work is still there,but your just going to have to change your game plan to stay busy.Just because your not planned for that busy ex center,doesnt mean you cant go there.Whats better? to sit in an over crowded center that you were paid to go to,or get loaded out of empty center that you dead headed on your own to,meaning no dead head pay.This is the end of the year,in another month,trucks will be dropping like flies,as they do every winter.Just keep your head up and remember, that glass is half full.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I totally agree!! I'll move on my own with no pay to a better freight area in a heartbeat. I guess maybe thats one of the reasons why i am getting the # of loads i am when others tell me about sitting for 4-5 days. Not me, i am moving and finding those loads.

Had a Panther driver tell me she sat for 8 days in one place (laredo) and then moved to san antonio............sorry, im out of dodge long before that...

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i agree with you dennis. ask not what your dispatcher can do for you but what you can do for your own dispatch. met a fella who said he sat in kc ka for 14 days.:eek::eek: not gonna be me. tomorrow i am out of the house and back in the truck. no more sitting until jury duty in 2 weeks.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Take it easy Jack , and make sure you listen to your Dr's advise!! But you are right, got to be moving to make a buck, preferably moving loaded!! :D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When things start tightening up that is one of the advantages that finding your own freight has. Basically eliminates all those above listed problems. Can't see any reason why someone would sit eight days waiting on anything?

SJMagic

Seasoned Expediter
Vans don't have it as easy finding freight unfortunately, but it is out there, and with the price of gas so low I can easily move to an area for better freight for not a lot of $$$

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
I

Had a Panther driver tell me she sat for 8 days in one place (laredo) and then moved to san antonio............sorry, im out of dodge long before that...

Some companies play favorites. Plain and simple. I have a friend who drives for panther (they are a team) who are never offered anything under 800 miles. They pulled into Spartanburg SC and ran into a fellow panther (solo) driver who had been sitting there for 8 days without a load and within 4 hours they were loaded up on a load going to Texas. That's just how the ball bounces sometimes.

There are Panther drivers out there sitting around in parking lots for days at a time while I personally know of others who are kept in money-making loops. They get a load from Chicago to South Carolina, then another from South Carolina to Texas, then a load from Texas to Wisconsin. Then they deadhead right back to Chicago and are loaded again on their way back to South Carolina while others are sitting for days trying to get the very same loads.

I had the same problem as a driver for the cat. Every time I would go to Chicago I would get inundated with mini airport loads and loads going from Chicago to Mossville with 100% deadhead back to Chicgao, only to be offered the same load again. While I was running all these loads trying to keep my acceptance rate up, others were turning everything down and getting all the good runs. This IMHO is not fair.

So, yes, you can make money in a cargo van "if dispatch wants you to make money and if you kiss enough behind to get the good loads!" I have never had any luck with any of the companies that I have tried and I am always a team player. My team friend "an older gentleman who has been with panther for 8 years" has grossed 30 thousand dollars in three months. They have skipped over him just to offer him loads that even a solo could have done and this is because dispatch favors him.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I think when O\O are starting out, and when they deliver and the Carrier recommends a destination for them to move to, they go to the recommended site and sit. Not knowing after a day or two it may be better to ask dispatch for another recommendation or looking on their own for another spot to wait.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Its plain and simple,when I'm offered a load.I know where its picking up,where its going,and this is the most important,I know where I am going to layover.Oh, by the way,before I accept this load,it will pay enough to do all the above,including going to the layover.If milege to layover is paid,then thats a plus

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
That goes right back to the saying " you have to spend money to make money" and you can't be afraid to do so. We move to where we know the freight is, even if the carrier does not ( not as much an issue here as in the past). We make far more for our meager investment than had we waited days for an express center to clear out or the freight to come to us. Plus we now take every load offered us and hadn't had a bad load in 6 months.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That goes right back to the saying " you have to spend money to make money" and you can't be afraid to do so. We move to where we know the freight is, even if the carrier does not ( not as much an issue here as in the past). We make far more for our meager investment than had we waited days for an express center to clear out or the freight to come to us. Plus we now take every load offered us and hadn't had a bad load in 6 months.

Ohh But I am not moving unless they pay me to move....they said when I sit long enough they'd pay me to go to a better area....I shouldn't have to pay outta my own pocket....I am NOT moving till they pay me to....Its MY money and I want it now!

That said.....I totally disclaim the above statement.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
I shouldn't have to pay outta my own pocket....I am NOT moving till they pay me to.

Originally, once we gave our prior carrier 48 hours with no offers or refusals, we could call dispatch and ask to be relocated to another express center nearby. If there were ample trucks in that express center they would not pay you to move. In many cases we found we were wise to go to the freight regardless of whether the carrier paid or not rather than sit in a dead zone. What helped in making the decision to move is knowing on an average day how many loads came out of the express center. Chances were by the end of the day or next morning there would be a need for the truck at the new EC.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Originally, once we gave our prior carrier 48 hours with no offers or refusals, we could call dispatch and ask to be relocated to another express center nearby. If there were ample trucks in that express center they would not pay you to move. In many cases we found we were wise to go to the freight regardless of whether the carrier paid or not rather than sit in a dead zone. What helped in making the decision to move is knowing on an average day how many loads came out of the express center. Chances were by the end of the day or next morning there would be a need for the truck at the new EC.

oh my..I didn't realize common sense was used.....I thought you just took the paid relocation then whine....There's an unpaid alternative? How novel. :rolleyes:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We call in after 24 hours and no load offers if on a week day and if on the weekend we wait till Monday to call. We will also make the decision to move on our own if we think it will benefit us much better in the long run this just sitting.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Nightcreacher's point about trucks dropping like flies as winter progresses is well taken. Diane and I believe that as the recession wrings the weaker players out of the system, the freight-to-truck ratio will improve. In the meantime, we see no reason to do anything different than we have done before.

We continue to accept profitable loads and decline unprofitable ones. We wait 24 hours at a delivery before thinking about relocating on our own dime to another express center. We continue to specialize in White Glove and expedited freight.

Having prepared for it, this slowdown is nothing we cannot handle. Yes, freight has slowed. Yes, revenue has declined in recent weeks. So what? It's not like we didn't see it coming. People have talked for years on the Open Fourm about slow freight times. We listened and are ready.

That means enjoying the spare time fewer loads gives us and putting it to productive use. We are not rushing out to chase new freight in new markets as thousands of truckers are now doing. We are relaxing and waiting for the market to return to us.

Nightcreacher said it above. Every transportation industry analyst and economist I read says it. I believe it. The recession is creating a truck capacity crunch that will put those of us who survive in FAT CITY when demand for trucks rises. In the meantime, we are hauling the profitable freight that beeps into our Qualcomm as often as it comes.

It's not the end of the world as we know it, and we're doing fine.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
We call in after 24 hours and no load offers if on a week day and if on the weekend we wait till Monday to call. We will also make the decision to move on our own if we think it will benefit us much better in the long run this just sitting.
I'm not talking about a relocation,I'm saying my layover plan is already in motion by myself as soon as I see where the load I'm accepting is going.Most times where I want to layover is the same place planning has for me,but,as my layover acceptance is only 70%,you see,I'm my own planner,and is why I feel I'm busy in these hard times

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yup in way it is. But now I welcome you to my world the way its been for me the whole time I been here.

Calling in asking for work. DH 200 to 300 miles to Express centers to get work. Vice sitting in a Express center that U could sit for for days in.

Feel my pain. It isnt good is it. I here people now talking about the short runs if your a team and all that. Feel the pain that I felt for the last 3 years. Feel the pain everyone thought it was so funny, but its not now is it feel the pain.

This whole economy on a down hill slid. Getting worse before it gets better.

There are lot of Companies going to be loosing Govt Contracts that are being Canx. We see the Auto Industry grinding to a hault. We also see the Banks to scared to lend buyers to afarid to buy and shippers with no money.

Here I been Liven on 99 Cent TV dinners or Eating Cold Ravolies out of a can just to send monie home to my family.

I dont go home because I cant afford to.

Now maybe u can understand why I took the runs I did but still I kept moving.

This is the way its been for the last 3 years.

Dont any one get me wrong here.

I enjoy what Im doing and the Company I drive for.

(But I deserve better than the cards ive been delt.)

Better cards = Better Money and money talks and U know what walks. By the way Cards is Equipment Which is your tools.

Now Ya see why I DH to a Center vice sit where I delivered. I Go to where the Freight is. :cool:

Last edited:

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
There are alot of circumstances that come into play when one decides to sit, move on their own or ask for a move.
Like the woman sitting in Laredo for 8 days, maybe she couldn't afford to move on her own. Maybe she believed dispatch when they say "sit tight, we always get loads out of there".
Same with the guy sitting in KC for 14 days!
Who really knows someones circumstances?
Maybe they haven't been in the business long enough to know that dispatchers will tell you anything, promise the world if you'll only take that load to the middle of no-where.
Maybe they drive for an ower who won't let them move. Maybe the owner isn't paying like they promised!!
I know of one driver in a CV that took a load from Iowa to Wash. state. 1700 miles. He asked the dispatcher that gave him the offer if he could get freight out of Wa. We all know NOTHING comes out of the northwest. But being new he didn't know. She told him they always get freight out of there. He accepts the load. Delivers ontime, gets some sleep. Calls dispatch the next day and askes if he should move. The same dispatcher told him that she wouldn't authorize an 'empty move' because he hadn't sat 24 hrs. yet. Besides, they get a ton of freight out of Wa. A couple hours later, he calls the office, gets a different dispatcher and she tells him to "get out of there", they never get freight out of that area.
Yep, all aren't 'blessed" with alot of money backing them up can bounce around at will to get the 'good freight'.
Before we single these people out for sitting, let's get their whole story.
The expedited industry is like a model of this country! The "upper echelon", the well off get richer, and say I do this, or I do that! While the middle and lower drivers get the leftovers, scrimp and save and still go broke.
Ah, what a wonderful country!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Suds you are correct...many a times I've seen drivers that drive for owners with half a tank of fuel and 5 bucks in thier pockets....they can't move until they get a load and the com data gets advanced....they are trapped like rats...They live from load to load...they are the ones that would be better served serving up burgers at McD's....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The expedited industry is like a model of this country! The "upper echelon", the well off get richer, and say I do this, or I do that! While the middle and lower drivers get the leftovers, scrimp and save and still go broke.
Ah, what a wonderful country!!!!

I don't think the expedite industry is different than any other in that regard, or different than the whole country for that matter.

It has been stated in different ways as the 20/80 rule, or 10/90, or even 2/98, depending on who is talking. The notion is that 20% of the people control 80% of the wealth (or 10/90 or 2/98). It can be put in another way to say 20% of the people enjoy 80% of the success. People often invoke such statistics to make the case that some people have an unfair advantage over others or that the little guy is always cheated, or whatever.

I have never been one to buy into that kind of thinking. If by some pass of a magic wand you were able to instantly allocate all the wealth in America to each citizen in equal measure, how long do you think it would be before 80% of the money found its way back to 20% of the people?

The masses would give, gamble or spend their money away and in short order the money-skilled would have it in their hands again.

That not due to a lack of fairness and opportunity, I believe. It is due to the financial illiteracy of the masses and people's failure to take it upon themselves to learn even a little bit about what money actually is and how it works. We live in a nation where the majority of people spend more time formulating lottery fantasies than basic financial goals. If they can borrow money to buy a new toy or one-up their neighbor, they will do so without a second thought.

We see the same thing in expediting. There are those who enter the industry well prepared with solid research and strong financial reserves, or at least with a notion to build their reserves once they get started. And there are those who get themselves into a truck loan and jump in almost on a whim and with nothing more than the hope for good luck to keep them going. It is no surprise that the failure rate is higher among the latter group, just as it is no surprise in the country that the people who know how to manage money tend to end up with more than those who do not.

Who are the money-skilled? In my mind they include most any citizen who knows how to save more money than he or she spends. Doing that alone over the years puts people on stable financial ground that those without money come to envy. Beyond that, the money-skilled includes people who have earned money in business, some in huge ways.

As an expediter, or anything else, I have the ability to save more money than I spend. As an owner-operator I have the same opportunity seek profit in my industry of choice as anyone else. How well I do with that opportunity is not a function of fairness. It is a function of the research I do and the decisions I make. The fact that there are other people out there doing better than me has nothing to do with it.

There are teams out there making a lot more money than Diane and me. It is not because they have some special advantage we do not have. It is because, for reasons of our own, we have not made the decisions and taken the actions they have.

It's simple. We don't want to do what they are doing, so we don't. If we had a burning desire to make the big, big money other teams make, we would change our thinking and change our ways to do so. If they were making better money because they knew something and/or someone we don't, we would make it a goal to find out what that something or someone is, and learn what we do not now know.

Again, it's not about fairness or some social deck that is stacked against us. It is about the decisions we make and the actions we take.

For people who are able-bodied, have a clean record, and can read, write and do math at the seventh-grade level, success in expediting is within reach. Just figure out what kind of success you want in the industry, figure out what you must learn and what actions you must take to achieve it, and get to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person