Good Lord, is there no sanity left in this world?

Monty

Expert Expediter
http://wusa9.com/news/article/161065/158/Woodpecker-Saving-Daughter-Costs-Mom-500

Eleven-year-old aspiring veterinarian, Skylar Capo, sprang into action the second she learned that a baby woodpecker in her Dad's backyard was about to be eaten by the family cat.

"I've just always loved animals," said Skylar Capo. "I couldn't stand to watch it be eaten."

But roughly two weeks later, that same woman from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service showed up at Capo's front door. This time, Capo says the woman was accompanied by a state trooper. Capo refused to accept a citation, but was later mailed a notice to appear in U.S. District Court for unlawfully taking a migratory bird. She's also been slapped with a $535 fine.

There is the law, and the intent of the law ..... here is an example of that "police power" some complain about.

I read this to my wife, the cop, and she was stunned such a charge would be imposed, and hope's the judge throws it out with a butt chewing to the officer!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
At the end of the story, you'll see they reversed their decision. See? Even would be dictators cave in the face of civil discord. Someone was thinking they would lose their job, had this gone higher; and ordered the lady to back off.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
At the end of the story, you'll see they reversed their decision. See? Even would be dictators cave in the face of civil discord. Someone was thinking they would lose their job, had this gone higher; and ordered the lady to back off.

But still a waste of time, resources and money

Monty

Expert Expediter
That must have been an update to the story, in my version it was still open. Glad to see sanity prevailed! (Maybe in part it was because of the three phone calls I made,)

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
What defines "Migratory" I have Red Headed, Red Bellied, and Pileated wood peckers on my property year round.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea, the bird deal wasn't that bad...so the LEO's moved on to 4 y/o's with Lemonade Stands....:rolleyes:

Running Gag: Another Lemonade Stand Shut Down By Authorities

Posted on August 2, 2011, 8:37pm
by Becket Adams

Running Gag: Another Lemonade Stand Shut Down By Authorities | Video | TheBlaze.com

In another example of the increasing trend towards a nanny state, local authorities in Coralville, IA have shut down a 4-year-old girl’s lemonade stand because she does not have the proper operating permit.

According to the city ordinance, the 4-year-old must apply for a permit and get a health inspection.

A health inspection for a lemonade stand?

The AP reports, “An officer told Abigail Krutsinger‘s father Friday that she couldn’t run the stand as RAGBRAI bicyclers poured into Coralville. RAGBRAI is The Des Moines Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, which ended Saturday.”

Little Krutsinger was clever in setting up a lemonade stand for an event that would naturally drive up the demand for her product. A bike race requires constant hydration and she decided to fulfill a need in the marketplace.

But rather than reward her individualism and entrepreneurial drive, local authorities are applying to a 4-year-old girl the same standards they apply to people her parent’s age.

Abigail’s father, Dustin Krutsinger, said the ordinance and its enforcers are going too far if they force a 4-year-old to abandon her lemonade stand.

One can only hope that Abigail has hired a good accountant for when local authorities demand that she file her personal property returns.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OVM was just in Corralville. Coincidence? hhhhmmmm......

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
And they're harassing raw milk producers and co-ops, too, with multi-jurisdictional SWAT teams. If this sort of thing appeals to toy, vote for someone other than Ron Paul. He might not be able to do something about the state actions, but if he's elected, the federal outrages will stop.

Yea, the bird deal wasn't that bad...so the LEO's moved on to 4 y/o's with Lemonade Stands....:rolleyes:

Running Gag: Another Lemonade Stand Shut Down By Authorities

Posted on August 2, 2011, 8:37pm
by Becket Adams

Running Gag: Another Lemonade Stand Shut Down By Authorities | Video | TheBlaze.com

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
And they're harassing raw milk producers and co-ops, too, with multi-jurisdictional SWAT teams. If this sort of thing appeals to toy, vote for someone other than Ron Paul. He might not be able to do something about the state actions, but if he's elected, the federal outrages will stop.

And how would Mr. Paul do this, all by himself? Don't forget, legislation starts in Congress, not the President.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
And how would Mr. Paul do this, all by himself? Don't forget, legislation starts in Congress, not the President.
This wouldn't be via legislation. Many of the outrages imposed on us today are mere rules.

I was just reading a story a few minutes ago about a paddleboater who got a close-up of a blue whale when the whale surfaced near his paddleboat. After it came near him, he dived under the water to get some pictures. Had a fancy, shmancy camera, apparently. Then the news went on to say that (some unconstitutional gummint department of which I can't remember the name) guidelines prohibit intentionally getting close to whales. This guy's not in any trouble because the whale got close to him rather than the reverse, but reading that story made me think, "What, I'm subject to guidelinesnow?" Rules and guidelines are for employees of whatever agency issues the rule, not a citizen. It's like McDonald's issuing a rule; that affects their employees, but they can't compel me to wear a hair net or wear a certain type of shoes, etc.

That brings up a side issue: executive orders issued by the president. I don't remember which piece of trash it was in the Clinton administration who said this, but speaking of executive orders, one piece of human garbage said something like, "Stroke of the pen, law of the land...pretty cool." I can believe he'd say that, because the leftist mindset is all about imposing their will on us for our own good.

But executive orders don't and can't directly affect you or me, unless you work for the executive branch of the feral gummint. An executive order is an order from the chief executive to his employees/subordinates/underlings, etc. An order from the boss.

So that's how Dr. Paul, as president, would accomplish this, by issuing executive orders to his subordinates to act only within their authority. He could issue an executive order restricting the use of federal SWAT teams to certain circumstances. And he could use executive orders to clarify rules or order an agency to review, justify, or revise their rules. For example, he could issue an EO prohibiting the FDA from using SWAT teams to raid producers of raw milk. If states are enforcing laws against things that are federally protected rights, he could issue EOs ordering federal departments to protect those rights. He could issue an EO ordering the Department of Justice to investigate any state or state action infringing on our rights.

And short of all that, he could use the bully pulpit to shame states and municipalities that shut down a little girl's lemonade stand, sort of a "don't make me and the justice department come down there" notice.