Fuel Gelling

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just passing along some information that might help someone under sub-zero fueling conditions.
Spent one night in Iowa last week east of Des Moines. Overnight temps were well below zero for at least three nights. I ran the motor to prevent any problems, and had 40 gallons still unboard when I added 80 gallons of the WINTERIZED blend. The pump hoses were so frozen, they were brittle and leaking. I DID NOT add anti-gel at that point. Truck ran about one hour and then died- and nothing would re-start it.
After two days, a hotel visit, and much anxiety, the truck was finally running after new filters, some fuel treatment, and six hours inside a shop. My total repairs alone came to a whopping $700. Highway robbery is one subject, but Kwik Trip looks as though they will warrantee their fuel and the repair bill...

Here is the advice straight from the mechanic:
1) When temps fall to sub-zero conditions, do not think your APU will bail you out. Your engine oil is still like 90W lube...
2) Never add cold diesel fuel to a lesser quantity of warm fuel without anti-gel or a product that can UN-GEL already gelled fuel in filters. Think of something called "911" by Power Serve or "Meltdown", perhaps even a gallon of gasoline in each tank...or a mix of #1 & #2.
3) Wrap your external frame-mounted fuel-water separator filter with a DIAPER or equivalent. Anything to keep the cold air from striking the metal sides...

Once those filters get plugged- they need to be tossed away. I actually had to have two different ones put on to be safe...replacing the f-w filter alone, outside, did not get the truck going. P.S. Guys from Montana and farther north say the fuel up there is protected to at least -40F. The Kwik Trip rated theirs at -25F. Good Luck

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well didn't have the full gelling problem as had tank of winterized and additives. Problem was some moisture in bottom of filter separator/filter and dirt in the filter (bad fuel somewhere) so filter froze on the bottom half. Got the truck running but could not get it over half way up to redline as not enough fuel coming thru. So into the shop. At least my bill was smaller as I drove it in. Took them 4 hours though to check the lines, pump, injection system and other stuff just to be safe.
Rob

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Just passing along some information that might help someone under sub-zero fueling conditions.
Spent one night in Iowa last week east of Des Moines. Overnight temps were well below zero for at least three nights. I ran the motor to prevent any problems, and had 40 gallons still unboard when I added 80 gallons of the WINTERIZED blend. The pump hoses were so frozen, they were brittle and leaking. I DID NOT add anti-gel at that point. Truck ran about one hour and then died- and nothing would re-start it.

You should have known better than trying to use fuel at that low a temperature without using an anti- gel additive. You should always carry extra fuel and oil filters as well as extra anti-gel additive and a de-gelling agent like Power Service 911. Seems to me it's your fault you had the fuel problem and the $700 repair bill. A little common could have prevented your problem.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The pump hoses were so frozen, they were brittle and leaking.
Yeeaahhh ..... wanna know just how brittle they can get ?

I was on my way up to Chatham last Thursday night and I stopped at the J in Perrysburg to fuel before I went into Canada. Think it was around -15 or so .....

I swiped my cards, picked up the nozzle, and hit the button .... and went to stick it in the filler neck ...... and I looked down and noticed I was holding a nozzle ..... and about 3' of hose ..... :eek:

The rest of it was still attached to the pump, sorta thrashing around like a snake as fuel shot out of it ...... :cool:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We were in ND during the -30 temps. We put in almost 100 gallons of winterized diesel in addition to Howes. We didn't gel, but it was trying really hard. We saw quite a few trucks sitting along the side of the road, so I assume that were not so lucky.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of gelling up. When I told the mechanic that I had Howes in my fuel, he smiled and said that Howes makes him money all winter long. According to him, it will work, but only if you use it religiously, year round. That's basically what their guarantee says, too. His recommendations were Power Service (white bottle) or FPPF.

guido4475

Not a Member
it is pure common sense to run all winter long using howes or equivelent additive in the fuel. never rely on fuel out of the pump to get you through the winter without gelling.15.00 for a bottle of howes is alot cheaper than the 700.00 you just spent.plus, you'll get that 15.00 back in added performance as well as fuel mileage.howes in the winter, lucas in the summer. i have never gelled at all any where since 1989. that 700.00 could of bought you 46 bottles of howes, enought to treat 46 fillups.i use 1/2 bottle in each of my 150 gallon tanks.should i ask when was the last time you had the dessicant in your air dryer changed? bendix recommends yearly replacement.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I run additives year around. I use Opti-Lube products. I run the summer mix during warm and winter when cold. I mix the maximum ratio mix for normal winter use and mix a greater amount of additive per gallon as it gets to extreme cold. So far so good. I have yet to gell up in 4 years. I keep my fingers crossed, hoping I did not just jinx myself telling you this. I will look into the air dryer, I never thought about that. A rookie mistake. Still learning every day. Layoutshooter

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Technically diesel fuel doesn't gel, it waxes. When cold, parifin molecules stick together plugging filters, lines and injectors.

Change your fuel filters often.

Drain your fuel water separator at least once a day.

Fuel more often. This reduces the chance of taking on large amounts of contaminated fuel. Also full tanks lessen the chance of moisture condensing inside the tanks.

As mentioned use a quality additive.

Carry spare fuel filters, a filter wrench and know how to change them.

When operating in extreme cold top off with #1 fuel and keep the truck engine running.

Buy a gasser cargo van.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And carry that gasser cargo van in my cargo box? Where would I put the frieght? Besides, it would never fit back there with the excercise equipment and hot tub. LOL layoutshooter