Ford Vans with Sprinter bodies types

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
MR.Keller:
Can you post a photo of what you have?. So there is no confusion between a standard Cargo Van and what you have for sale.
Thanks

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
I did put the info in the Classified Section.
Just making it known in this thread about the vehicles.
Here is a pic.
smallhcv-info.jpg

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I know that Jack and Gracie Berry are happy with theirs!! Mr/ Keller if you are ok with it, approx what can one of those be bought for?? without tax since that is a titling state issue and different in each state and county..Thanks in advance?

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
Before Taxes, Titles, and Fees:

The E-250 HCV is $33,900
The E-350 HCV Extended is $36,900

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
mrguard wrote:

Before Taxes, Titles, and Fees:

The E-250 HCV is $33,900
The E-350 HCV Extended is $36,900

mrguard wrote in the CargoMax thread:

I'm still torn about those vehicles.
They look like a take off of the Ford HCV Vans that
are cheaper

mrguard, you have a PM....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Specs please.

Did you ever weigh one of these on a scale to see what the curb weight is?

AND please can you size the picture to a smaller size.

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
Greg You have a PM... Dennis thanks for your pms.
smallhcv-info.jpg

I didn't realize that the graphic was so large..
My apologies.. I hope this is better.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford

greg334

Veteran Expediter
james,
YesI got the PM, I will reply tomorrow when I feel better but that's not what I'm asking.

What I would like to know for everyone is have you ever taken one of these vans out and gotten it weighed?

The curb weight of the chassis is one thing but the curb weight of a complete unit is what really counts for all of us. We work on the limitations of the vehicle under 10k when it comes to vans. With a van that looks good as a Sprinter replacement, it may not be if there is a problem with the weight. For example, if the curb weight is say 7000 and the GVW is 9400 - that 2400 lbs is a show stopper because it leaves little for nothing more than freight.

Just an FYI, I should have suggest that you edit the first post with the image in it instead of just leave you hanging without an explanation. Sizing it in edit mode should be easy, you click on it and a box should appear around it. Just grab one of those little black square things in the corner to shrink it. It's another pet peeve of mine because the contents of this thread are HUGE because of the image.

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
I'll look into it.. I have the Invoice with the weight before upfit, though I do think I have some info about it at my desk.
I could not edit the photo, all there was is the link online.. so I replaced it with the smaller pic.

James

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
From my understanding that's exactly right. Flower shops & those types of places love those things. I believe they get 22-24MPG, something in that range. For most of the deliveries I have those would be nice. 90% of my deliveries are 1 skid & local. It's just that adding about 6 MPG isn't worth buying a $30-40,000 vehicle. Mine is paid off so I'll keep it as long as it's in good shape.

Next year they're supposedly going to come out w/ a battery powered one that allows 150 miles per charge. There's no gas tank w/ it, so when the electric runs out, you've got to recharge it. Therefore not practical for expediting, but again great for local delivery places that don't exceed 150 miles per day.

For expediting, if there was a Ford chasis w/ a Sprinter capacity that would be ideal IMO. The lower gas milage would be offset by the lower cost of gas & repairs. The Unicell has that feature.

Off the subject a bit here but my favorite all time vehicle on this board was the Rev's Unicell body awhile back. That thing was bloody awesome. The Transit is sort of like Mini Rev.

With a GVW like that, it sounds like it might be ok for courier type stuff, but not any serious expediting, especially the way things are going these days with more smaller loads being combined.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Whoops, I should have read the whole thread before responding. You weren't talking about a Transit. Ford has a vehicle to compete w/ a Sprinter.

It looks like a killer van. While my business model doesn't call for new vans, if someone's did, based on my experience w/ a Sprinter (brutal) vs my experience w/ Fords (awesome) I'd suggest this over the Sprinter hands down.

In 2 years a used vehicle like this could be just the ticket I'm looking for.

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
Okay.. This is the information I have.

From the Invoice.. Shipping weight of the vehicle is 5,353 lbs on the E-350 Super Duty Cargo Van.

From various online resources about the HCV I have this:

The HCV conversion adds only 90-120 lbs. of extra weight. Other upfits can add significantly more weight, which reduces payload capacity.

The vehicle’s walk-in convenience is ideal for any industry with payload needs ranging from 3,300-3,900 lbs.

I hope this info helps.

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford

james,
YesI got the PM, I will reply tomorrow when I feel better but that's not what I'm asking.

What I would like to know for everyone is have you ever taken one of these vans out and gotten it weighed?

The curb weight of the chassis is one thing but the curb weight of a complete unit is what really counts for all of us. We work on the limitations of the vehicle under 10k when it comes to vans. With a van that looks good as a Sprinter replacement, it may not be if there is a problem with the weight. For example, if the curb weight is say 7000 and the GVW is 9400 - that 2400 lbs is a show stopper because it leaves little for nothing more than freight.

Just an FYI, I should have suggest that you edit the first post with the image in it instead of just leave you hanging without an explanation. Sizing it in edit mode should be easy, you click on it and a box should appear around it. Just grab one of those little black square things in the corner to shrink it. It's another pet peeve of mine because the contents of this thread are HUGE because of the image.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks.

I think you are understanding the issue we are having when we talk about weight, capacity and such. It is good you are going the extra step to get us answers.

This has happened to me a lot - I go into a Ford dealer, explain the situation to them and what I need but they don't have a clue of what the specs on their product is and many times NOT willing to actually try to find answers. You can substitute Ford for Chevrolet/GMC or even Freightliner/Mercedes - it happens all over the place with most of the dealers.

NOW here is the challenge, which is a great one for a dealer who sees potential of this market and that van fitting a niche in this market - if you have the time can you weigh one to get an exact weight?

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
I will have to see where I can find a place to weigh the vehicle.
I was thrust into this by accident thanks to the mistake by our fleet manager and once these vehicles are gone, my days with cargo vans are few and far between (sorry guys).

I will do whatever I can to help.

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think it may be a learning experience that you can use later on. I would rather work with a dealer who is willing to find answers than one who isn't.

I thought there was a place on Wyoming that you can get it weighed, the last time I was there it cost me a whole $3 but I can't remember the name of the place.

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
I think you are right.. there are a number of truck related business that is in that general area.
Looking at the Ford Sourcebook for the Vehicle, It looks like
the cargo rating is in line with the 3,900 lbs that I found online.
But I am still working on it.
BTW my number here at the office is 313-584-2250

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry for the delay with info.
End of the month in the car business can be hectic.
I'm going to try one of the truck stops on Wyoming to see if they have scales and get the vehicle weighed.
One of my managers suggested the scrap yard down the street but I wanted something with more credibility.

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Why not go to the nearest Scale house? or Google "Caterpillar Scales" it will tell you the nearest scale to your zip code.:rolleyes: