Ford Vans with Sprinter bodies types

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've past a few Ford dealers and noticed this van at first It looked like a sprinter...looked like a light van chassis with a Aerocell type body in the sprinter configuration...has anyone stopped and checked them out?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It may be the Ford Transit you've seen. It's high roofed but I believe no more than a 1/2 ton. Not really comparable to a Sprinter unless something has changed.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ford brought it over from England to compete with the Sprinter, But needs to step up the GVW In Order to do that.Haven't seen one yet Just Pictures. Maybe I'll have to hit up the Ford Dealer Tomorrow.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
If that was meant to compete with Sprinters or even domestic vans, someone had their head where the sun don't shine, with a GWW of just 4950lbs its little more than a high roof mini van. Payload is just 1600lbs with the 2nd row seats removed - and presumably that is with no driver, fuel etc.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If that was meant to compete with Sprinters or even domestic vans, someone had their head where the sun don't shine, with a GWW of just 4950lbs its little more than a high roof mini van. Payload is just 1600lbs with the 2nd row seats removed - and presumably that is with no driver, fuel etc.

with Fords and GM's track record...does that really surprise you?
It's listed as a little to medium rated van....Maybe they are after the Fedex and Ups and USPS business...

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
In europe the transit was available with an uprated suspension and components but they probably did not bring it in configured that way. They have a 10 passenger version in england so the load capacity has to be higher than 1500lbs given average adult and luggage. Well maybe not as europeans are smaller and carry less luggage???
Rob

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
With a GVW like that, it sounds like it might be ok for courier type stuff, but not any serious expediting, especially the way things are going these days with more smaller loads being combined.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
coulda been the hcv from vision mfg. Vision Manufacturing Ltd. | Home of the HCV * High Capacity Van * Ford, Chevrolet and GMC Models

i checked one in mishawaka. nice finish and fit. could not drive it because the battery was dead and the salesman did not sem to be concerned about getting me into it even with my blue van staring him in the face. sad.

found a chevy dealer about 35 miles away who has some on order. they come with the 159" wb. gonna call them tomorrow.

I checked out the vision website you have linked and it appears that the FedEx Home Delivery unit shown is an extended Ford. Special order perhaps?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
mark, the extended ford looks just like mine from rear axle to bumber. the price the dealer had was 35K with the 5.4 and an unfinished interior.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
mark, the extended ford looks just like mine from rear axle to bumber. the price the dealer had was 35K with the 5.4 and an unfinished interior.

Jack,
So you are saying that they are going to build one on a GM 159" wheelbase? The GM extended cargo vans are 155" WB but they do make a cutaway that is 159" but this would require Vision to make the entire cargo body not just the roof extension.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
sorry to be so tardy. chevy van is 155" extended.

have a local dealer in brookfield wi, brookfield pontiac gmc, who will be getting reg lth in this week and just ordered extendeds. 262-781-1300--ask for rick

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
We have a few of these 2009 Units for Sale. E-250 and E-350
The Fleet Manager overbought so we need to move these units.

James Keller
Jorgensen Ford