Ford Vans with Sprinter bodies types

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recently had to give up my Sprinter in favor of a Chevy. Parts availability is big, as is the problem of finding mechanics qualified to work on them if you break down in small towns. While the outfits I've driven for seem to want us to own and drive Sprinters, none of them seem to want to pay enough for the upkeep of a Sprinter.

Special note: I can't afford to keep a devoted mechanic named "Heinrich" on staff, nor can I keep a warehouse with the hard-to-find parts on hand.

That works for you...and that is great...really...:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I warehouse all my parts at Europarts of San Diego and Berry Dodge of Corsicana. Overnight shipping is available from both, and both have parts cheaper than most dealers. There's also Autozone for a surprising number of parts.

Most Sprinter repairs do not require a Sprinter technician, but for those that do I have a "DAD" DRB III diagnostic tool to read the codes on the laptop.

For the repairs that require an actual German, there's always Andy Bittenbinder out of Pittsburgh. :D

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I warehouse all my parts at Europarts of San Diego and Berry Dodge of Corsicana. Overnight shipping is available from both, and both have parts cheaper than most dealers. There's also Autozone for a surprising number of parts.

Most Sprinter repairs do not require a Sprinter technician, but for those that do I have a "DAD" DRB III diagnostic tool to read the codes on the laptop.

For the repairs that require an actual German, there's always Andy Bittenbinder out of Pittsburgh. :D

Maybe most repairs don't require a Sprinter technician, but they do require somebody who will at least agree to open the hood and look. I was surprised by how few Dodge and Freightliner dealers will even agree to let you bring it in. When I busted a hose near Sioux Falls, SD, the Freightliner dealer wouldn't even talk about it, but fortunately the Dodge dealer handled Sprinters and I found out from him just how hard it is to get help with these things. Fortunately he had the hose in stock so I was rolling that same day, but--- this is where American iron is favored. Imagine going to a Ford dealer and finding out he won't even look at your E-350. Imagine finding out that, amongst half a dozen mechanic shops in the area you break down in, you're lucky to find one-- even one only--- who will open the hood on your Chevy G-2500. I found that more common than I like to think about with the Sprinter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, I know. I know.
I had a water pump go out in Texas, but got it working enough to get to the delivery in southern Louisiana, and then looked for someone to replace it. I supplied the part, but everyone was afraid of it. "We don't work on Sprinters." And I'm like, "It's a water pump. A w a h h h t e r pump. Every engine's got one." Third phone call got it done, a small shop that had better mechanics than the dealers, anyway.

As for the analogy of taking a Ford to a Ford dealer and not getting it worked on, I can honestly say that I've never taken my Sprinter to a Sprinter dealer and had them tell me they wouldn't work on it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
On a side note, does anybody besides me find it humorous that so many people go to such great lengths to come up with a Sprinter-like vehicle, rather than just getting a Sprinter?

Really it's no different then when Dodge put out the first minivan and everyone tried to put out their own, or when Jeep had the cherokee(the first modern SUV) and everyone jumped on that train
Right now it is the new version of the van

greg334

Veteran Expediter
or when Jeep had the cherokee(the first modern SUV)

Seriously?

Jeep ... a modern SUV?

um... maybe the first compact SUV but regardless what is claimed Range Rover seems to be one of the first.

When they put four doors on a regular old jeep, ... never mind it is all the same anywho.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Seriously?

Jeep ... a modern SUV?

um... maybe the first compact SUV but regardless what is claimed Range Rover seems to be one of the first.

When they put four doors on a regular old jeep, ... never mind it is all the same anywho.

yeah, mass marketed compact 4x4 suv, I know their were many before them
Just like Dodge called themselves the inventor of the minivan
What was the Volkswagen Bus? LOL

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Seriously?

Jeep ... a modern SUV?

I was talking about the Cherokee, not the Wrangler or CJ;)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So was I, the Cherokee (XJ).

I know the claim is there but there are a lot of others which can make the claim and rightfully so. Range Rover was I think the first four door SUV, with bronco and blazer being before that and the suburban being even earlier.

The VW 'bus' was not a minivan in the strictest sense but nevertheless it can be considered a minivan, as the caravan is. The caravan wasn't the first one, Dodge didn't invent it, they defined it and there were many more before the caravan. I think a mid-60's Ford Transit from the UK could be considered a minivan.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
So was I, the Cherokee (XJ).

I know the claim is there but there are a lot of others which can make the claim and rightfully so. Range Rover was I think the first four door SUV, with bronco and blazer being before that and the suburban being even earlier.

The VW 'bus' was not a minivan in the strictest sense but nevertheless it can be considered a minivan, as the caravan is. The caravan wasn't the first one, Dodge didn't invent it, they defined it and there were many more before the caravan. I think a mid-60's Ford Transit from the UK could be considered a minivan.

So true, the suburban came out way befor the cherokee, so did the Bronco. Funny how everyone claims to be the first or the inventor LOL

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
Nice to see the thread back in operation.

It is nice that with the Ford vans that they can be serviced at any of the Ford dealers around the country without having to worry about shipping parts in.