Flying J Effingham Ill

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
>>I never liked effingham to begin with.
>
>Me too, i'm more of a turkey guy...

LMAO!!!!

I hereby nominate Neon for Post of the Year!!!!

Daniel
Panther 12055

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I do not about yall but I always look suspious when I am sleeping, and my van looks very suspious to. guess dem dare cops ain't never seen a truck before so it looks suspious to them, its only a matter of time before they start bothering the vans there to. how about bothering the people living in there cars in the parking lots they would probley have a better chance of finding something on one of them.

suspious I know I don't know how to spell it!!!

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Same thing happened to me at the J in Greta , Nebrasks. Luckily I just woke up but was surprised all the same .

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
This is a little off topic ,but, last Tuesday night in my little tiny one horse hometown, a city police officer stopped me because, he said, he couldn't see my DOT numbers ( hello? they are the big red letters against the white background of my truck). Then he asked to see license, registration, DOT physical card and log books. He made it clear to me in action and deed that he really didn't know what he was doing, but i drove away thinking two things
1. what the heck was that all about?
2. where does the harassment end?

fortwayne

Not a Member
We ##### when the police do their job then we ##### when the don't do their job - call your mechanic the next time you have a problem then!
If you ain't got nothing to hide - then pardon the little bit of trouble. If you aren't willing to give up a little hassle for the overall security of the nation then move to another nation where you don't even have the right to complain about the police! Stop thinking that everything is some sort of governmental military action or some sort of hassle.

Fort Wayne

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
holy cow i never thought the day would come when i agree with fort wayne well the sky must be a falling because for once i agree with him

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. - Benjamin Franklin

Last time I heard of police knocking on doors at three in the morning was Nazi Germany. If they were serious about seeing if I was a terrorist, they could wait till I got out of my truck with a towel on my head. Don't confuse harrassment with "just doing their job"! Checking my logbook in the middle of the night has nothing to do with security.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"Last time I heard of police knocking on doors at three in the morning was Nazi Germany."

T-Hawk, you remember that?

Wow you didn't look that old.

It happened more in the Soviet Union during the purges and after the Great Patriotic War.

By the way this still happens in Iran and happened a lot in Iraq (that Saddam guy's sons were known to do this a lot while they were in power).

Isn't freedom a b*tch, we don't have that fun stuff happening here.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Read again, nitwit! :7

I didn't say I heard it; I heard OF it. Yeah, I know it's happened since then. But why bother with details when I'm trying to portray SHOCK AND DUH strategy. LOL

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

fortwayne

Not a Member
Hawk -

"Those who profess to favor freedom, yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will." -- Frederick Douglass

Fort Wayne

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. - Benjamin Franklin

Actually, he never said that. There are probably 30 variants of that line that are often attributed to him, but he never said it, just the same. The original quote is:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

And was penned by a fellow diplomat of Franklin's, a man named Richard Jackson. The quote appears as a motto on the title page of a 1759 book that was published, but not authored, by Franklin entitled, An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania.

In a later edition published in 1812, the publisher attributed the quote to Franklin, and subsequent editions have had that mistake corrected.

The closest Franklin got to saying the above was in the Poor Richard's Almanack of 1738 where he wrote a similar proverb: "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power."

Another favorite mis-quote of mine is:
"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no mind."

(or one of a dozen variants)

It's often attributed to Winston Churchill, but he never said it. It's also been attributed to George Bernard Shaw, Benjamin Disraeli, Otto von Bismarck, and others. The actual, original quote, spoken and then written by French statesman, orator and historian, François Guizot, and is actually the most eloquent of all the variations:

"Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head."

But, the one quote that everyone should live by, was real and is easily verifiable.

"Get it while it's hot! Get it while it's buttered!" - Bugs Bunny

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You're probably right, Turtle. But the conviction of the quote remains. We didn't screw up the chance to get bin Laden, but now we're paying for it anyways? All I'm saying here is: "If government gives us a reason, then they have an excuse." - T-hawk

How's that? Too cryptic? LOL

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

personaly I dont care what the correct quote is the problem is I think the general public is being fed a bunch of crap to get them to think we need to give up our freedoms and I just aint buyin it.the country has become a police state.

We our the ones the that need intervention this goverment is totaly out of control of the people this is no longer the home of the free and land of the brave.
its more like home to the worlds garbage and land of the pupets

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So I got to ask, how does profiling middle eastern people coming from the middle east give up our freedoms?

How does closing the borders give up our freedoms?

How does torturing people who are caught killing Americans give up our freedoms?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've got no problem whatsoever with being stopped for a 'random' check, (it's happened 3 times in the past 6 months), or having my vehicle circled by drug sniffing dogs while stopped, (which happens every time I'm near the Mexican border). I drive a commercial vehicle on the public roadways, and it goes with the territory. What I would have a problem with, is being awakened, while fulfilling the federal requirement of sleeper time, with a demand to allow drug sniffing dogs inside the truck. Absent an indication from the dogs that there is reason to look further, that is unjustified harassment, IMO.
The problem I have with the difficulty in identifying the agency or authorization for such searches, is the constitutionally guaranteed right to petition the government for redress of grievances. This fundamental right of every American is violated, if we cannot identify which of the many layers of government is responsible for authorizing the violation, as I see it.