floor in cargo van

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was able to supply HighwayStar with a fur lined shift lever cover

Yeah, thanks SO much for that! The other night, a lot lizard knocked on my window, saw that and screamed "fur is murder" and dumped red paint all over the truck. To top that off, her prices were outrageous.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
in order to appreciate supercross one must first realize that motocross and supercross are 2 completely different sports.
Supercross is precise and requires accuracy, speed, balls, and the abilty to ignore the consequences of hitting a whoop section 3rd and 4th gear wide open along with the ability to precisely exit the turn at the end and still keep up enough momentum to clear the triple right out of turn on the seat.
while motocross requires mostly strength, pure strength and endurance to run 30 minutes plus 2 laps twice in the same day on a wide open course that is so rough only about 40 people in the entire world can run this sport on a full time basis and because they have enough passion for it that it doesnt matter to them if all of the blisters on both hands are bleeding at once , whether it's 105 degrees and humid , or pouring down rain , they have the determination and will finish the race at all cost.
think of it as 2 completely different sports and maybe you'll supercross a little more

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being from Michigan, I wasn't in L.A. to see Marty Tripes win the first "Superbowl" of Motocross. But, I was in Daytona the first year they built a track on the infield of the racetrack. I was also at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia for the first stadium race held east of the Mississip. I'm hip to the differences. I guess I'm just an old school kind of purist. I pretty much agree with what you've said, other than motocross just being endurance. Over the years, supercross has crept into outdoor tracks. Most have man-made whoops, or doubles and triples, tabletops, rythem sections, ect. So, to top off having 40 minutes worth of endurance, a rider has to deal with hitting his marks.

But, with all the man-made stuff that's become the norm in motocross, the gnarliest jump in all of motocross is provided by Mother Nature. The up-hill triple known as LaRocco's Leap at Red Bud.

Rrreeeddddd Bbuuuudddd!!!!!!

miker

Seasoned Expediter
(highway star )
do haved an email address, I just happen to have an awesome picture of Larocco on you said it " the most gnarly jump on the circuit" Laroccos leap, it is up close and taken from the front so you really get to see what that jump is about.

M

maranatha7

In my humble opinion I have been very satisfied with the way I built my van. I ran about 450 loads over four years and had virtually no problems with load placement. I used a plywood deck which I later overlapped with e track in the floor and plywood runners. I used epoxy to seal the deck and wax to make the deck easy to slide pallets. I have two pieces of short pile carpet cut 48" X 48" for placement under each pallet as required with pile side down. I was able to move over a 1000 lbs by myself with a tow rope from WalMart.
I use a 1" X 10" planking up each side fastened to the floor with 90 degree metal brackets (spaced 50" apart). This allows pallets to be guided regardless of forklift driver skills. LOL. BTW I left the insulation on the floor. I use the e track on the walls and the floor e track. I also use pickup style tie downs for unusual loads.:D:D:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
IMG_0131.jpg

Reactions: Force-Nale

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice work on the shelving units! What are the two black square things that look like speakers, component cooling fans or vents? One is mounted on a vertical shelf support and the other on the bunk.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
p/o of my van had a 1" high density fiberboard on the floor. it went the width of the floor and cut to fit. i installed snap together flooring to cover that. skids slide a lot better on that finish than the hdf. i got it from a friend at church but you might find it from a flooring store with overstock from previous jobs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nice work on the shelving units! What are the two black square things that look like speakers, component cooling fans or vents? One is mounted on a vertical shelf support and the other on the bunk.

The one on the shelves is the air intake for the Espar heater, and the one on the bunk is one of the heated air outputs. There's another output coming out the front of the van.

Here's a bunch more pics:

Shelves, insulation, etc.

Some battery work under the bunk

Misc interior work on the van

Potpourri for $300, Alex

Toronto40

Seasoned Expediter
I love they flooring in your van, I need to have the same thing done for mine. I have the same van.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in my sprinter have 2 set's of rollers in floor works great
if you look back in feature stories you will see what the rollers look like
and 2 sets of e track on each side

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
c'mon geo...post pix.:D

p/o had ripped up the noise mat and used the bare floor. so in went 2 layers of insulating foil and a 1/4 plywood board. alloc flooring went on top of that.

004-4.jpg

006-8.jpg

i put in the floor and the walls. beds slide forward for one skid loads. for 2 skid loads they go across the width behind the seats.

030-2.jpg

Last edited:

prMarga

Active Expediter
c'mon geo...post pix.:D

p/o had ripped up the noise cargo floor mat and used the bare floor. so in went 2 layers of insulating foil and a 1/4 plywood board. alloc flooring went on top of that.

004-4.jpg

006-8.jpg

i put in the floor and the walls. beds slide forward for one skid loads. for 2 skid loads they go across the width behind the seats.

030-2.jpg

Nice floor matting. Anway, I have a Dodge Ram cargo van.

I purchased the rubber mat from the dealer for $150. On top of that, I have some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet. I use a few straps and hooks, along with a cargo bar to keep hardware from moving around.

Letzboogie

Not a Member
I know some leave the rubber mat , but i've got to believe that it wil tear at some point that skids will get caught up it it. I took mine up and installed 3/8 think plywood, then the e-track and then another 3/8" piece of plywood between the track. Overkill? Maybe, but it acts as an insulator to keep the floor a bit warmer also, and with winter coming, i am all about keeping the inside of the van warm.

And skids slide easier on the wood vs. the rubber mat.

Just my 2 cents worth...

2 more cents. Had a van with the rubber mat. Skids definitely got caught. I laid down two 1 x 8's the lenght of the cargo area and screwed them down. This worked very well for sliding the skids. I had E Track on the walls so no need for it on the floor.

morton

Active Expediter
Greetings,

I am in the process of converting my old chevy into a pack van to try and break into the household good market a little.

I have been inspired by the work on this site and have begun to lay down the sub floor. I scavenged up some 3/4 inch ply and laid that on top of an existing rubber mat. I have not attached it yet. I also found some bamboo flooring at a garage sale and plan on using that. I will not have enough flooring to do it all in bamboo so I am on the hunt for other scraps.

Thanks for sharing your van set up guys, looking through this forum has been really helpful.

Last edited:

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You did a really nice job on your van. The shelves on the sides would be great. A little concerned about the weight, but they would make living easier. Great job! Except now my wife keeps saying "why can't I have one like that" . Thanks a lot! I just keep telling her that I'm not as good a craftsman as you are. She used to have a good sense of humor, but after 36 years, I think I have worn it away. Now shes a little mean and nasty, but I like her that way.