First Published Book On Expeditingm Now Available, www.hotshotchronicles.com

UncleTed

Not a Member
Someone could write a book about our industry without laying eyes on EO even once. Lots of people with no trucking experience whatsoever write many good things about trucking. Granted that experience may make for better writing, but someone with average perception who is good with a pen can come along, do a study of the industry and do a good job writing about it. There are lots of trucking magazine writers who do not have CDL's.

Apparently the sarcastic barb was lost on you.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Good question. We are 4 years with Panther Elite

What made you write a book? Do you think the experiences and lifestyle would appeal to those outside the industry or are you just going to market it to those within or trying to get into the industry? I've thought about writing a book about my life now and before I started driving but I'm not sure I want all the skeletons out. I figure the transportation portion would be to small of a market and I think blogs or articles are geared better towards drivers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I'm not so much concerned about who this couple is. I don't care a lot about where they come from nor am I concerned about who they're leased to....BUT I do have some other concerns and those of you that know me know that I'm darned well going to voice them.

I agree with Turtle about the advertising, not only is it against the forum rules but it's always gone against the grain of the membership when someone signs up and immediately begins to push their product. Those of you that think some here are being too hard on them should realize that they should consider themselves lucky that the mods and admins will allow this post to stay. Think about it, where else will they get this much exposure, where could they take their product if not here?

While the above "bugs" me, it's something else that needs addressed, something I think is very serious. I don't understand why more people don't take their DOD work more seriously. In their own words from their website,
Get insights into the secret world of running loads for the Department of Defense.
REALLY?? Did they miss the part about these loads AND their clearances being on a "need to know basis"? I don't know about others but I feel like they just put a target on ALL expediters as most in the general public and a lot in regular trucking have no idea what our trucks carry. Now, I have no idea what they've said in this book about those loads but just the fact that they're "advertising/bragging" about them is enough for me. Sorry but I just don't think this is right. During WWII they had the saying "loose lips sink ships", too bad the very people that are in the middle of this kind of work can't play by the rules and keep their big mouths shut.

We once saw a white glove truck that had added graphics on the side of their truck that listed every type of sensitive load they carried, I often wonder about that truck, wonder if anyone from FedEx ever saw the thing and did anything about it.

I won't be spending my hard-earned dollars on this book, something tells me that I already know a little about the character of the authors.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He's got an entire thread dedicated to advertising his book. Not many get that kind of a break.

To answer turtle and dd both my post was not in reference to the post being left up, I would completly understand if it had been removed. It was and remains about some of the negative statements made.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
To answer turtle and dd both my post was not in reference to the post being left up, I would completly understand if it had been removed. It was and remains about some of the negative statements made.

As I said in my post, many here find it hard to warm up to someone that doesn't participate until they need the forums to advance their own agenda. But I still likes ya!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I said in my post, many here find it hard to warm up to someone that doesn't participate until they need the forums to advance their own agenda. But I still likes ya!

The fact some here can be jerks cannot be denied. My guess is 90% would never respond the same way in person. I have probably been guilty of it myself at some point.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Well, my response would have been the same, in person, "You have four years in the industry, and you feel you know the in's and out's well enough to write a book?"

Once more, it might be a good guide for NEWBIES, and what happened to them, but it is not all inclusive of the industry at large.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
If you want to participate here, great, but if you want to use EO as a tool to advertise your book, that's just not gonna happen.

OOPS, already did. kinda like those billboards on the side of the road, "does advertising work? JUST DID".

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suspect that if anyone actually does spend money on this book, they'll be screaming and yelling for a refund. That opinion is subject to change upon hearing an actual review of the book. While the author may consider it a "must read", I'm incredibly skeptical. Only 4 years and all with 1 carrier? LOL...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive met people with a year out here with a better head for the business than some with ten. Time alone does not make someone an expert or even good at what they do.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive met people with a year out here with a better head for the business than some with ten. Time alone does not make someone an expert or even good at what they do.

That's true, but when it comes to having enough material for a truly interesting book about this relatively simple business, time really does help in accumulating stories that are actually interesting. Some folks can take a simple situation, something like a truck breaking down, and fluff it up with a ton of words and think they've made it an interesting story. My guess is there may be a lot of this kind of thing going on with this book.

But, it would be interesting to see a real review of the book.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Who's Barb?
Ironically, the op says the co-author is Barb. Is she sarcastic? Read the book and find out .

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
What's the big deal about someone writing a book? You don't have to buy it... But then again, Obama wrote one, and he was elected president...

I move that we outlaw books, and burn them all!!! Just kidding...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Won't make you an expert but you likely will never hear an expediter say "I wish I had no experience at this business".

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OOPS, already did. kinda like those billboards on the side of the road, "does advertising work? JUST DID".
Yes, except once was relevant and of possible interest to the members. His quickly-deleted threads and posts he made in blatant attempts to advertise the book is more the context in which I was speaking.