First Published Book On Expeditingm Now Available, www.hotshotchronicles.com

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I think he is "moonlighting" selling knockoff copies of current movies on dvds for $5 at the "J" in Dallas...:D

Saw that in Ontario, CA. T/A ..FedEx CC Van..I just looked down in shame. I did offer them a shower credit, wich they took.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

gshade52

Active Expediter
Fasinating reponses by those who have not read the material. I'm not understanding the responses motivated by fear, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. My intent in publishing this book was to support and document the extraordinary work you do. I have attempted to pull this post from forum but haven't figured out how to delete this note . Will the webmaster plz delete this post.
thanks
gary

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fasinating reponses by those who have not read the material. I'm not understanding the responses motivated by fear, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Fear? Based on my review of this thread, that's an odd statement. What are you talking about? Instead of your proclamation that the book is a "must read", LOL, you may have had a warmer reception if you'd offered the book to someone for a review.

And, seriously, how could you not expect to be lampooned after referring to expediting as "hotshotting"?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jeez, do you guys give anyone a break? At least they had the ambition and drive to actually write and print something. Most of the experts here on eo just want to put others down for atempting things or asking questions. It does get old.and drives many away from this place.

EO is a small pond with far to many big fish.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

So we should treat this the way they do these days with kids athletics, where everyone gets a trophy just for showing up? In the grown up world you have to actually perform to get recognition.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Fasinating reponses by those who have not read the material. I'm not understanding the responses motivated by fear, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. My intent in publishing this book was to support and document the extraordinary work you do. I have attempted to pull this post from forum but haven't figured out how to delete this note . Will the webmaster plz delete this post.
thanks
gary

Some of the responses that were motivated by concern are because someone that has not demonstrated any knowledge of the industry or their success, appeared out of nowhere to sell a book, and is still relatively new is now selling a book. The concern is for those that may follow the advice contained within the pages that may do more harm than good.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've read several pages of the book. Not the entire thing, but enough. It's not a bad book, and it's relatively well written considering it's in the context of a Blog or daily journal. A real (established) publisher wouldn't touch it without massive rewrites, tho. The problem with it is the author has been living in a Panther Elite Services bubble his entire expediting career. His experience, while varied, is still extraordinarily limited in scope. He doesn't think it is, however, because that's all he's known. He's done plenty of research, but like a lot of research, it has left him with a lot of pseudo knowledge which believes to be real, usable knowledge. It's certainly usable, but only within the bubble. He really doesn't know what the expediting world is like outside the bubble. It happens. We've seen it happen here a time or two, as well.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've read several pages of the book. Not the entire thing, but enough. It's not a bad book, and it's relatively well written considering it's in the context of a Blog or daily journal. A real (established) publisher wouldn't touch it without massive rewrites, tho. The problem with it is the author has been living in a Panther Elite Services bubble his entire expediting career. His experience, while varied, is still extraordinarily limited in scope. He doesn't think it is, however, because that's all he's known. He's done plenty of research, but like a lot of research, it has left him with a lot of pseudo knowledge which believes to be real, usable knowledge. It's certainly usable, but only within the bubble. He really doesn't know what the expediting world is like outside the bubble. It happens. We've seen it happen here a time or two, as well.

Does it begin with "What I learned today...?" :confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Does it begin with "What I learned today...?" :confused:
Well, yeah, that's a good example of the bubble, and what happens to knowledge when you get out of the bubble. All the limited experience in the world is still limited experience, and you don't know nearly as much as you think you do. Any research you do is almost certainly going to be viewed in the context of your own experience.

I am aware of three books written by expediters for expediters, and all of them have been written with less than four years of experience, and all from the viewpoint of being with a single carrier at the time of the writing. The authors thought they knew enough to write an informative book, but they didn't even know enough to know that every expediter and their situations are so different from each other than any book will be of extremely limited value to more than a fraction of expediters. I've been doing this for like 8 or 9 years, and I know a lot, but I wouldn't presume to think I know enough to write a "must read" book.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expediting is rocket science, I always forget that, thanks to those posting for reminding me.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
All the limited experience in the world is still limited experience, and you don't know nearly as much as you think you do. Any research you do is almost certainly going to be viewed in the context of your own experience.

This is true but is there such a thing as unlimited experience? What human being alive, in any field of endeavor, is not limited by his or her own experience, however extensive it may be?

Teachers teach history without experiencing most of it. Doctors treat patients without suffering the illnesses themselves. Counselors help addicts without being addicted themselves. Financial advisers regularly help clients who have more money than the advisers do. Sports writers write all about sports figures without playing the game themselves.

To write about any topic, including expediting, what one lacks in experience can be overcome with research and education.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is true but is there such a thing as unlimited experience?
Only in the abstract.
What human being alive, in any field of endeavor, is not limited by his or her own experience, however extensive it may be?
I can't think of any.

Teachers teach history without experiencing most of it. Doctors treat patients without suffering the illnesses themselves. Counselors help addicts without being addicted themselves. Financial advisers regularly help clients who have more money than the advisers do. Sports writers write all about sports figures without playing the game themselves.
All true, and in all of those cases the people involved are intimately involved in the subject. Sportswriters write about sports, but they don't write How-To books on the art of pitching or the mechanics of hitting. Addiction counselors may write a book about treating addiction, but they are not very likely to write a book about being an addict and living with addiction unless they've done it. Same with doctors, where they can publish all sorts of tips and tricks on treating illnesses, but they aren't likely going to write a book about having and dealing with an illness. It can be done, but the author must not only be an excellent writer, but a highly skilled researcher.

To write about any topic, including expediting, what one lacks in experience can be overcome with research and education.
I agree completely. But the key word is "can". It certainly can be overcome, but far too many fail to properly do so, because . For example, someone who has been team straight truck expediting for four years solely in Panther Elite Services could very well write an excellent book on Elite Services expediting, but would probably fail at an all-encompassing "must read" book on expediting in general, because they almost certainly wouldn't do the proper research, and what research they did would be filtered through their own limited experience.

Just as an example, would someone who has spent their entire expediting career in Panther Elite Services even think to research and educate themselves on the many subtle and not-so-subtle difference between Elite and Expedite (regular) dispatchers at Panther and how differently a load can be with each? The difference in some cases, on some loads, can be profound. I know because I've run loads under both. Some Elite trucks are dispatched by both, but most Elite trucks only run under Elite dispatchers. If they don't know that there is a difference, then they wouldn't even know to ask, and their book would fall woefully short for any non-Elite expediter.

I would assert that any book you write today about expediting would be at least somewhat different from one you would have written a year ago, simply by virtue of you now having some experience outside of your own previous bubble. One doesn't need an abundance of experience outside the bubble, but they do need enough in order to know what questions to ask, what to research, and which areas of education are important.

gshade52

Active Expediter
qualifications: Hazmat, gov't transport, life sciences transport, weapons and ammo transport. 4 yrs experience driving a straight truck.