Fedex wart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Never once since I have been doing expediting have I ever been called to ask whether I was 30 minutes out. Might have called the carrier, but I was unaware of it.
I would rather have the customers phone number without interference from a dispatcher.
Even more so in your case. That would eliminate the need for that business of whether a load is "confirmed" or not.
I don't have the patience for that kind of foolishness. If anything is in question, I want to hear it straight from the customer rather than whether a dispatcher thinks I need to know.

Expedited freight is not the same load by load. Much of what we haul is high-value freight where sometimes a dozen people are waiting to go to work on it the instant it arrives. If the freight resolves an assembly line down issue, an employer may be managing the time he or she will have a hundred employees report to work and clock in.

It is not "such foolishness" as you suggest. It is excellent customer service that enables the consignee to coordinate efforts and paid labor hours at the delivery.

In other cases, delivery of our one item to one person in one location may set dozens of people in motion in another part of the world. In still other cases, it may be just one person that meets us but he is the one with keys to the refrigerator in which the freight will be stored until morning. Helping him know the freight is six hours, three hours, 90 minutes and 30 minutes out helps both the carrier and the company preserve temperature integrity on something like an irreplacable research compound that has no street value but in which the shipper has invested millions of dollars in a multi-year series of laboratory processes.

In still other cases, it might be something as mundane as a piece of furniture being delivered to a consignee's house. But to the consignee, it is important freight and the consignee wants to be told of our location and ETA.

Look. We have done loads where it took over a dozen people to put one box on our truck. Each had a job to perform in that process. They actually had a meeting about it when we arrived to review the steps of putting a box on our truck. It left us scratching our heads about the seemingly needless involvement of so many people. But it made sense to the shipper so we said not a word and went about our work. Subsequent communications about the load were intense.

There is nothing foolish about it. This is serious business.

Not only are these important loads to customers, they are in many cases loads that set people in motion when they are delivered. In some cases, a great deal rides not only on the successful delivery of the load but on successful communicatons about it. Communicating through dispatch, instead of directly with the customer, has the additonal advantage of creating an audit trail that leaves no doubt that we held up our end.

We have hauled freight where it did not matter to the shipper or consignee if it arrived this week or the next. In cases like that, Joe Truck Driver calling Joe Dock Worker would work just fine.

We have also hauled freight that if it was not delivered on time and communications about it were not made, a series of negative and sometimes disasterous events would accrue to the shipper and consignee. My comments about customer communications are made with the latter type of freight in mind. I don't want the shipper's and consignee's phone numbers. I prefer to keep dispatch in the loop and have them make the calls.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In Express we have hit this same situation from time to time where chemists were on the dock as we were pulling in to take our barrels test them and get them out on the line. The coordination between us, FedEx and the customer has more than once enabled the customer to not shut down a line. Granted I am sure this has happened more often to Phil then us due to the difference in trucks. We also do not see a need to talk to the customer if we wanted that responsibility we would get our own authority. If we have questions on the load FedEx will often do a conference call so each party is in the know of what is happening with a load or if the directions are bad.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Dale said:
No biggie, took 2 minutes, and he could go home and sleep instead of hanging out at the shop waiting for an approximate time.

If PII was doing the load the customer would have known that we deliver when we say we will,:D unlike the Fed where they spend so much of their driving time text messaging the info that can and should be sent via the Qualcomm. On second thought I guess the tiny two or three line screen would be to hard to use/see:p:eek:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I was being a wise .... but as already said is is rather silly to send in the info via cell phone and answering prompts with the push of cell phone buttons, instead of using the QC.

ATeam said:
Expedited freight is not the same load by load. Much of what we haul is high-value freight where sometimes a dozen people are waiting to go to work on it the instant it arrives. It is not "such foolishness" as you suggest. It is excellent customer service that enables the consignee to coordinate efforts and paid labor hours at the delivery.

We (PII) do a lot of the same type of loads, but the point is when they need all of the calls and stuff so that they can be poised with test tube in hand our dispathers take care of most (not all) calling to let Fred know that we once again have pulled yet another one out of the fire.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Now Jim we all know you are a wise.....!!!

Just wanted to make sure no one thought we were sending text messages on our phones back and forth while driving or for that matter using the C-Link while driving.....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In our case, I would want the customers phone number to confirm the actually delivery time. That would eliminate issues on whether a load is or isn't confirmed.
We have numerous loads that have been delivered early just by being able to talk to the customer. Time zones and knowing which customer ordered the shipment can have a impact on whether some information is correct. Hauling a Fedex broker load would apply here as well.
Anything else is handled by dispatch. I am not implying that the driver makes every call.
In most instances, it isn't necessary to make all these suggested calls back and forth. The qc in most cases will keep the customer updated. In our case, they can go online and see for themselves.
I also don't believe that the Fed is the only one hauling the magical potion for certain customers. It all boils down to different ways of operating.
I prefer the way that we do it as the driver has the full focus of that one load. A dispatcher is juggling numerous other calls and information gets mixed when different shifts are handling the same load. That applies to many carriers.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane just mentioned another aspect of this. Just this week, she was standing in line with a half-dozen other drivers at a consignee's shipping/receiving office window. The others were there to deliver too. The phone rang. On the other end was a driver requesting directions to the delivery. The consignee said, "Call your carrier for directions. We do not provide them."

It is a bit of an odd response until you consider that the location is a busy place and the consignee does not have time to be fielding calls from drivers that can be handled by carriers. Think about the other drivers in line. How happy would they have been if the consignee would have taken time to not process them but nurse maid a driver who the carrier should have served.

Calling dispatch instead of the consignee reduces the probability that you the driver will be deemed a pest by consignee. Consignees have more on their mind than the load on your truck. If a call for directions must be made, better to have dispatch make the call instead of you. Why take the chance of irritating a consignee if you don't have to? Let dispatch do it instead. If the consignee gets angry and complains, it's all on tape on the dispatch-initated conference call. You are in the clear.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Leo, after being at both companies, don't you wish that you could take the best of both and combine them? We sure do! There are procedures that FCC did that we liked, and procedures that Panther does that we like. To combine them would remove the "warts" for us.

Personally, I like having the ability to talk to the shipper or consignee directly if we need to. Going through dispatch just adds another "layer" for mistakes /confusion. We've also discovered that many times, dispatch doesn't know the right questions to ask.

Phil, we haul the same loads for Panther that we hauled for FCC, our truck is set up just like yours. There is no reason to complicate the simple. FCC, in many cases, does just that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It all boils down to different ways of operating.

That's correct. It is also correct that some ways of communicating are better than others when it comes to managing driver liability and not making yourself a pest.

Delivering early is seldom possible for us so it is not an issue. The freight we haul is most often time-specific. For the same reasons customers want to be told about the freight location and ETA, they want it to arrive not early and not late but on time.

Taking it upon yourself to negotiate a different delivery time with a consignee after the load has been set up by the shipper and dispatch is a good way to get in trouble when you are hauling time-specific freight.

If it is a Joe Truck Driver load going to a Joe Loading Dock consignee, that may be different. But we do not operate in that world with many of the loads we haul. Those loads have conditioned us to honor the delivery times set by the parties involved. When we have a load on, our job is to serve them. It is not to negotiate a different delivery time so we can put our needs ahead of theirs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be beneficial to combine the best of both. Back to my original point which we strayed a lot from, I'm not talking about the automated messages of the computer. I'm talking about the standard procedure of having to check in and out etc. when the satellite ping should do that for you automatically. I'm also talking about "press 1 for English". No, we don't do that but it's the same principle. We call in to report our shipper departure and do nothing but push numbers on the cell phone. That is stupid. there's no other word for it. It wastes cell minutes and should be done on the satellite. If they want to say hazmat etc. have to call that's fine but plain old loads should fill out a macro. To make matters even worse, unlike Panther whose neat and efficient system is consecutive 1-5 the macros we have to use are scattered about so you can't keep track of which step you are on and use the corresponding macro number.

A couple of times after my status not matching I've given up and just sent a free form saying I'm there if anyone cares and wants to fix my status. I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Once more, lest anyone be confused, I am not bashing Fedex. I am only pointing out something that isn't at the extremely high level of quality and standards as the rest of the company. In most respects they are the most professional operation running but their system of location and reporting is more akin to Billy Joe Bob's Bait and Expediting Company.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That's correct. It is also correct that some ways of communicating are better than others when it comes to managing driver liability and not making yourself a pest.

Delivering early is seldom possible for us so it is not an issue. The freight we haul is most often time-specific. For the same reasons customers want to be told about the freight location and ETA, they want it to arrive not early and not late but on time.

Taking it upon yourself to negotiate a different delivery time with a consignee after the load has been set up by the shipper and dispatch is a good way to get in trouble when you are hauling time-specific freight.

If it is a Joe Truck Driver load going to a Joe Loading Dock consignee, that may be different. But we do not operate in that world with many of the loads we haul. Those loads have conditioned us to honor the delivery times set by the parties involved. When we have a load on, our job is to serve them. It is not to negotiate a different delivery time so we can put our needs ahead of theirs.

I disagree with you Phil. In your world a "confirmed load" above might or would apply. If something is "unconfirmed", then I do put MY needs into the equation.
Why? Because if a load was picked up Thursday for a unconfirmed delivery on Friday, I want to know whether that load can be completed.
Why? Because I may be looking at a load to pick up on the heels of that one. The dynamics of the original load change significantly if that load can't be completed until the next day or possibly Monday.
As far as causing trouble, nope. Don't see it. Been doing it this way for years. If it can't be delivered early, our carrier will have that in the notes prior to load acceptance.
Phil....you have to realize, there are other ways than what you see.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If you only deliver the freight based on what the QC says when you got the load offer your either nuts, crazy, or mentally challenged. Or not being completely honest. Unless you really do need the lower than realistic dispatched speed calculations. (47mph)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I disagree with you Phil. In your world a "confirmed load" above might or would apply. If something is "unconfirmed", then I do put MY needs into the equation.

Then disagree we will. You are injecting "confirmed" into this. I have not used the word and it makes no difference.

When Diane and I are on a load we are focused 100% on meeting the customer's needs. Whether the load is confirmed or not, we abide by the delivery times.

Almost always, the load is confirmed before it is dispatched or while en route. If the delivery time changes we abide by it. If it does not change, we proceed by the original schedule. If the load is never confirmed, we go by the original schedule. Whatever the time may be, that is what the consignee sees on the load tracking web site and that is when we deliver.

Your point about accepting unconfirmed loads that deliver late on a Friday or before a long weekend is valid. We deal with that by checking the load out before accepting it. It is a simple call to dispatch. It has been a very long time since we got stuck on an undeliverable load over a weekend.

Dave....you have to realize, expedite businesses differ and what works for you does not necessarily work for us.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you only deliver the freight based on what the QC says when you got the load offer your either nuts, crazy, or mentally challenged. Or not being completely honest. Unless you really do need the lower than realistic dispatched speed calculations. (47mph)

BINGO
No need for long winded essays to challenge the obvious.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Actually if the c-link says the delivery time is 10:32, that odd number on the end is a clue that this customer wants his freight ASAP and you need to deliver straight thru and no later than 10:32. Just FYI:)

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I am none of the above.

Many of our loads run straight through and we drive straight through. Many others may pick up say at 3:00 p.m. and are short enough to get us to the delivery at 3:00 a.m. the next day or two days later. With those, there is nothing to do but wait since the consignee does not open until 8:00.

If a load offers several hours of spare time between pickup and delivery we use that time to productive ends for things like sleeping, groceries, laundry, fuel, and anything else that makes us run ready. It is ideal to arrive at a delivery with full tanks, rested and showered bodies, and a resupplied truck.

Another EXCELLENT use of the extra time a load may give is to drive slow. That saves fuel and increases the profit on the load. Good time management helps us buy goods at Wal-Mart instead of truck stops thereby reducing costs. More than we are in a hurry to beat the clock, we are in a hurry to increase our productivity (be ready for the next run) and save money.

There are drivers that burn fuel and cash in the interests of saving time. We are not among them. We use time to conserve fuel and cash.

When one expediting truck pass another, we are almost always the one being passed. We are like TeamCaffee in that regard. If we were ever on a run together, fierce competiton would break out to be the truck that arrived last. :D

There is nothing in our experience to suggest that we are missing next runs by delivering the current run on time. Truck counts do not change that much in the hour or two or three we would save by running a race against the clock and burining fuel and cash.

Even if we burnt the fuel and cash to deliver early and score a handful of additional runs in a year, I believe the money we would save on EVERY run by making good use of the time would exceed the money lost in beating the clock.

Driving 55 mph instead of 65 mph can save you a mile per gallon at least. If you have 100,000 loaded miles a year and got 9 mpg at 55 mpg and 8 mpg at 65 mph, your drive-slow fuel savings are 1,389 gallons.

How many extra loads do you need to score by beating the clock to pay for 1,389 extra gallons of fuel you burned trying to score the extra loads?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is nothing in our experience to suggest that we are missing next runs by delivering the current run on time. Truck counts do not change that much in the hour or two or three we would save by running a race against the clock and burining fuel and cash.

Even if we burnt the fuel and cash to deliver early and score a handful of additional runs in a year, I believe the money we would save on EVERY run by making good use of the time would exceed the money lost in beating the clock.

Driving 55 mph instead of 65 mph can save you a mile per gallon at least. If you have 100,000 loaded miles a year and got 9 mpg at 55 mpg and 8 mpg at 65 mph, your drive-slow fuel savings are 1,389 gallons.

How many extra loads do you need to score by beating the clock to pay for 1,389 extra gallons of fuel you burned trying to score the extra loads?
=========================================
You are only talking about 4 or 5k over a year. Wouldn't take many runs gained to pick up that difference. Doesn't mean one speeds or anything, just running smartly.
BTW...I don't see many that run 55 in a 70 MPH zones and not really be a safety hazard.
If you run slower than the flow of traffic, you would still arrive way early to the QC delivery time. Especially coast to coast runs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.