Fedex wart

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Actually if the c-link says the delivery time is 10:32, that odd number on the end is a clue that this customer wants his freight ASAP and you need to deliver straight thru and no later than 10:32. Just FYI:)

this statement is not true,the odd number means its computer generated,and in actuality,usually wont be confirmed

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I disagree with you Phil. In your world a "confirmed load" above might or would apply. If something is "unconfirmed", then I do put MY needs into the equation.
Why? Because if a load was picked up Thursday for a unconfirmed delivery on Friday, I want to know whether that load can be completed.
Why? Because I may be looking at a load to pick up on the heels of that one. The dynamics of the original load change significantly if that load can't be completed until the next day or possibly Monday.
As far as causing trouble, nope. Don't see it. Been doing it this way for years. If it can't be delivered early, our carrier will have that in the notes prior to load acceptance.
Phil....you have to realize, there are other ways than what you see.

I have to agree with Davekc 100%. My very 1st load with Panther was to go to a fellow owner's house to do a load transfer in his driveway. (Because we have pallet jacks in all of our trucks) His truck was having some problems and he wanted to get it to the dealer. He already had a backhaul set up picking up 199 miles away from where I droped the load off in NE. The load was going to Philly and paid okay but it would have been Friday when I dropped off my 1st load. So I called the Broker up and explained that the truck that was going to do it broke down and I could do it but I was wanting to know how late the shipper was open. The broker said they are only open until 5 pm their time and they wasn't in on the weekends. I wasn't sure I could make it because I run around 62 MPH to save on fuel but the good thing was the speed limit was 70 mph. I told the broker if he would add on and extra $100.00 we would do the load.

We got to our drop off and had to wait an hour or two to get unloaded and I was worried about making the pickup for the other load. So I called the customer because I had the number and said that I was running a little behind and could someone stay a little longer till we got there because I wasn't sure if we was going to be there be 5 pm. He said to call him back in an hour and give him up dates on how far we was out because we have GPS in the truck. Now remember this is all new to me because I have never in my years at FedEx Custom Critical ever brokered a load. We called the customer and kept him updated and made it to our pick up at 4:55 PM. We got loaded and was on our way. I thanked the customer for waiting and he thanked me for getting there and keeping him updated because their customer needed this by Monday.

Having the tools we had was a win/win not only for the broker but for us and even Panther in the long run. If I hadn't had those tool like the customers phone number. I would have lost a $1900.00 load out of a area that I may have had to deadhead back to Chicago to get my next load plus I would have never got a 1973 mile load to TX after I dropped of my load in Philly.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At E-1 if the customer wants to know where we are....they can log on and watch thier load coming at them...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our customers also log on and see where we are at but that polling can be several miles off.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I'm not suggesting that someone run seventy miles an hour, but running sixty will still get you very good mileage, and if your talking about a medium length run, that can make the difference of three or four hours which could mean unloading first thing, and first truck in the morning or fourth truck unloaded on a Friday mid day. That DOES make a world of difference in yearly in your pocket money. I normally did not have a problem getting to a delivery well ahead of the scheduled time.
There are enough clerks around that when lining up a truck for the company will say they need it by 17:00, and thats what dispatch will put in the load offer.
I will agree that there are some (very few) that don't want the freight there asap, but they are the exception not the rule.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The difference from running 55 and 60 cannot save you hours in delivery time.

Load miles is 550 miles and you average 55 mph the load will take ten hours to deliver, if you run 60 mph the load will take you approximately nine hours and 14 minute which is a savings of about 45 minutes.

Load miles 880 at 55 will take you about 16 hours to deliver and running 60 miles an hour will take you about 14 and 1/2 hours for a savings in time of one and 1/2 hours.

The difference in driving 55 and 60 mph and fuel costing 3.00 a gallon 1/2 mpg lost by driving 60 will cost you approximately $4000.00 a year.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
i think dave kc should join us at fedex since he always knoiws how to run our business better than us..lol...

Been there and done that already. But I did find a much better way for me. Thanks for the invite though.

As for JJ's post, it is spot on. Most just depends on the type of run.
55 can be beneficial at times, and others it can be costly if it is going to cost you a run. Especially on a Friday. Then it may cost you several days. That difference of arriving a few hours earlier can be a real deal breaker as to whether a available load is possible.
Then efficiency can turn into "a penny wise and a pound foolish".

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have to agree with Davekc 100%. My very 1st load with Panther was to go to a fellow owner's house to do a load transfer in his driveway. (Because we have pallet jacks in all of our trucks) His truck was having some problems and he wanted to get it to the dealer. He already had a backhaul set up picking up 199 miles away from where I droped the load off in NE. The load was going to Philly and paid okay but it would have been Friday when I dropped off my 1st load. So I called the Broker up and explained that the truck that was going to do it broke down and I could do it but I was wanting to know how late the shipper was open. The broker said they are only open until 5 pm their time and they wasn't in on the weekends. I wasn't sure I could make it because I run around 62 MPH to save on fuel but the good thing was the speed limit was 70 mph. I told the broker if he would add on and extra $100.00 we would do the load.

We got to our drop off and had to wait an hour or two to get unloaded and I was worried about making the pickup for the other load. So I called the customer because I had the number and said that I was running a little behind and could someone stay a little longer till we got there because I wasn't sure if we was going to be there be 5 pm. He said to call him back in an hour and give him up dates on how far we was out because we have GPS in the truck. Now remember this is all new to me because I have never in my years at FedEx Custom Critical ever brokered a load. We called the customer and kept him updated and made it to our pick up at 4:55 PM. We got loaded and was on our way. I thanked the customer for waiting and he thanked me for getting there and keeping him updated because their customer needed this by Monday.

Having the tools we had was a win/win not only for the broker but for us and even Panther in the long run. If I hadn't had those tool like the customers phone number. I would have lost a $1900.00 load out of a area that I may have had to deadhead back to Chicago to get my next load plus I would have never got a 1973 mile load to TX after I dropped of my load in Philly.

Bruno,what you just talked about isnt an everyday accurance,it was a very lucky situation,and the back haul load was just great,and in a case like that,delivering early was a plus,and myself ,I try to deliver most my loads 1st thing in the morning,trying to be 1st in the ex center,but I dont do this by waisting my fuel,I just make less stops,keep that 55 mph average.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I'm trying to figure out how this thread keeps getting off subject. I don't know, Leo, maybe it is the kind of discussion you will want to have in the FedEx Forum so everyone commenting will know exactly what you are talking about. People who share the same issues might stay on subject. :)

You have some great suggestions for whoever does the CLink messages and I hope they will take a look at it and make some corrections. Your ideas are right on target. I wonder if your CC could forward an email from you to whoever does the CLink Macros so they can take a look at your ideas? It might be worth a phone call to your CC with a follow up email. Sometimes having a new set of eyes take a look at the way it is done will bring in some new/improved ideas.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The difference from running 55 and 60 cannot save you hours in delivery time.

Load miles is 550 miles and you average 55 mph the load will take ten hours to deliver, if you run 60 mph the load will take you approximately nine hours and 14 minute which is a savings of about 45 minutes.

Load miles 880 at 55 will take you about 16 hours to deliver and running 60 miles an hour will take you about 14 and 1/2 hours for a savings in time of one and 1/2 hours.

The difference in driving 55 and 60 mph and fuel costing 3.00 a gallon 1/2 mpg lost by driving 60 will cost you approximately $4000.00 a year.

Okay, Okay
First I was saying a medium load for PII I'll call that 750 miles. If I get dispatched at fortyseven (47 for the Fed drivers:rolleyes:) miles per hour and I run (when I know that it will benifit me) sixty (60) miles per hour then I would get there 3.46 hours before the time that dispatch figures I can.

Now because I'm a real nut case I try and get to the pickup as soon as I can (within reason) Usually an hour or so early. So if I get loaded an hour early(but have been loaded as much as a day early) and arrive 4.46 hours early then it can work very well.

(notes for FedEx people) 4.46 hours is really,really close to four hours and 27 minutes and thirty six seconds.:D:rolleyes::eek:

There you guys go again, wanting to hide those FedEx warts from the rest of the forum. tisk tisk

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I'm trying to figure out how this thread keeps getting off subject. I don't know, Leo, maybe it is the kind of discussion you will want to have in the FedEx Forum so everyone commenting will know exactly what you are talking about. People who share the same issues might stay on subject. :)

You have some great suggestions for whoever does the CLink messages and I hope they will take a look at it and make some corrections. Your ideas are right on target. I wonder if your CC could forward an email from you to whoever does the CLink Macros so they can take a look at your ideas? It might be worth a phone call to your CC with a follow up email. Sometimes having a new set of eyes take a look at the way it is done will bring in some new/improved ideas.

Ask for Tom in the C-link department at FedEx. Tom is a great guy and always likes input from Drivers and Owners

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK everyone. I put this in the general forum because I believe the C-Link, QC, satellite or whatever you want to call it is an important tool if your company requires it. I could have put it in the Fedex forum but felt it's important enough not only to operators but to prospects also to put here. STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE. If you want to whiz cheerios about other things go create your own thread to do it. This isn't about speed, backhaul or anything else. It's about needless cellular expense on top of $30 per week satellite expense. Please contribute if you have a contribution on topic. For anything else please go to the thread set up for it or start a new one.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm not suggesting that someone run seventy miles an hour, but running sixty will still get you very good mileage, and if your talking about a medium length run, that can make the difference of three or four hours which could mean unloading first thing, and first truck in the morning or fourth truck unloaded on a Friday mid day. That DOES make a world of difference in yearly in your pocket money.

Maybe for you. Not for us. Many times we are predispatched on the next run before we complete the current run. And as I said, truck counts do not change such that delivering a few hours early would make a difference for us. And, the customers we serve often do not want an early delivery. Getting there a few hours ahead of time would only result in us sitting at the gate until eht scheduled delivery time.

Now, can we let this go? I don't see what all the fuss is about. Diane and I are not overly bothered by the "stupid" C-link macros and departure call procedures. We abide by the scheduled delivery times instead of trying to change the schedule. We make good use of any extra time the load gives us. We maximize our profits by driving slow under load. And when under load, we place the customers' needs ahead of our own.

I know those are all mortal sins and my way of doing business makes me half the man I would otherwise be. But our customers don't seem to mind, our carrier does not complain and our revenue does not seem to suffer. For those who are offended by our business practices, pray that Saint Expedite will deliver me from my sinful ways!

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Leo,

Short of the fawn and bunny stories, I believe ihamner's post probably would be the first step. Not sure what the result would be, but if enough folks have the same observation then that might get their attention.
I do agree if another carrier has that same issue, then maybe they could say how they addressed it.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
OK everyone. I put this in the general forum because I believe the C-Link, QC, satellite or whatever you want to call it is an important tool if your company requires it. I could have put it in the Fedex forum but felt it's important enough not only to operators but to prospects also to put here. STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE. If you want to whiz cheerios about other things go create your own thread to do it. This isn't about speed, backhaul or anything else. It's about needless cellular expense on top of $30 per week satellite expense. Please contribute if you have a contribution on topic. For anything else please go to the thread set up for it or start a new one.

Well Leo my post ties into the part of the cell phone and having the customers phone number. You said you don't like to call in at Every pickup and you wish you could just do it over then C-link. You started out at Panther and I started out At FedEx. Panther does things their way and FedEx does things a different. Like you of all people say. All companies have WARTS.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, they all do things their own ways and they all have warts. Panther is doing a better job lately of removing some of theirs, in large part due to the work of the council continuously pushing for the changes. I believe Fedex can do the same if they just have the input to do so. This thread is intended to be such input on one of their warts.

I like having phone numbers. If I need to talk to the customer I want to do it direct, not through a dispatcher who may only relay what was said at 98% accuracy. That's not a knock of dispatch, just a fact at times since nobody is perfect. That's another thread though. This one is departure calls and why the satellite is better for that than the cell phone.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with you Leo. The more strreamlined anything is , the better it is likely to work. I do think the availibilty of phone numbers and your C-link issues go hand in hand.
That was apparent in the other thread. Dispatchers handling multiple issues aren't going to have the same focus as the driver on one load. Just common sense.
A lot of times the carnival land type atmosphere can slow the progress of productive change. Some don't realize that something can be different and successful.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Why do you think this issue had not been brought up time and time again and at this point FedEx does not see the value of an automated system.

It had been mentioned many times about the issues brought up by the Panther council and Panther makes no changes.

FedEx and Panther are the same in that aspect they will make the changes they think will benefit the company and then the drivers.

FedEx is always on the move and we do not know what they are working on for the future.

This thread has went way past its usefulness of Leo making a suggestion to FCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.