Fedex wart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
They still use Trip Pack which is a joke and paperwork always gets lost.

You might want to reconsider your claim. It is simply false that TripPak "paperwork always gets lost."

Diane and I have run well over 500 loads and used TripPak to send in the paperwork on every one. Not once has a TripPak envelope been lost. We can count on one hand the times a log book sheet got lost and that was easily resolved by faxing a copy in.

All this talk about button pushing, phone calling, TripPaking and more ... does it really matter?

If FedEx adopted Panther's paperwork and driver communications system wholesale or if Panther adopted FedEx's, would it make any difference at all in the runs we get and the money we make?

For new people reading this thread, know that each company has its way of communicating with drivers and processing run paperwork. At any given moment, some will be more modern than others. Some will be more reliable. Some will be faster. Some will be more user-friendly. Some will be more expensive. Some will be more accurate.

I say so what? If we changed companies, we would quickly learn that company's system and adapt to it. Every company changes its system from time to time in an effort to improve. Whatever company you start with or stay with, the system you use today will be different than the one you use in the future.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Patrick,
They just updated the GPS with that new card. One of our teams has said so far it is keeping up with their other gps.
They have only had the new version in for about a week, so the jury is still out. The original format was pretty worthless.
There is no charge for GPS.
The place I was talking about the charge was for the ECM hookup. I am thinking 10-15 per month, but can't remember.
That program monitors speed,idle time, shifting, braking,MPG and a couple of other items. It also monitors engine diagnostics in case of a component or engine problem. That information can then be viewed via the web 24/7. More of a value for fleet owners than a single truck operation.
With regards to Trip-pak, it was ok but certainly had some flaws. Panther made their change because of too many problems with lost packages. Their current program eliminated those issues. Seems to work better but I wouldn't change carriers on this one single item.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Once more before I lock this since there's too much cheerios whizzing going on, I am pointing out a system that has been in place a long time and although working could be upgraded and be more efficient and more productive than it still is. Yes, a rotary phone will connect you to a number but when you must press 1 for English you're out of luck. Yes, a 1970's Quasar with rabbit ears will show you some programming but a 2000's Sony HD with Uverse will show you a lot more. Departure calls that do not get a live person and only have you pushing buttons should be done by satellite macro. Macros to check in/out etc. of express centers should be done automatically by satellite ping and computer. The current system works as is, just like the rotary phone and rabbit eared tv set, but that doesn't mean it's the most user friendly or efficient.

With that I'm locking my thread since folks can't stay mature and avoid the picking back and forth and can't stay focused and discuss that single topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.