FDcc flat rate?

TeaDance

Active Expediter
FDcc.... They are a large company and a smart company. Wouldn't you think they would change the way they are running the Expediter division with the number the trucks leaving? Hmmmmmmmmmm

I'm not so sure I what to drive for them now. I like the insurance of a flat rate, however If I'm waiting for a load @ 1.38+FSC (or what ever the flat rate is) It seems that they are going to offer it at a lower rate to trucks that are on the % rate first in hope of them taking a cheap load. Like I've said before, there is always someone that needs to move from point A to point B at any rate for some reason or another.
I feel this way because their Load-board and truck seniority means nothing to them!

Does this make since or am I totally off my rocker?.....lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, you're not off your rocker. You're beginning to see the light. ;)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
FDcc.... They are a large company and a smart company. Wouldn't you think they would change the way they are running the Expediter division with the number the trucks leaving? Hmmmmmmmmmm

The assumption that FDCC has a number of trucks leaving has been stated by you and others but before relying on that notion as truth or as an indicator that something is wrong, it bears examination.

I know for a fact that Diane and I left a couple months ago. I know a van driver who left several months before that. I know a solo straight truck driver who left a few weeks before us. I know two teams that left less than a month after we did. I know of a team that is now doing the paperwork to change carriers.

It sounds like quite a story but is it really? I am speaking here about a tiny handful of trucks changing carriers over many months.

The turnover rate in trucking is crazy. It is less so in expediting but still high enough to leave non-trucking business people stunned in disbelief when they hear the turnover statistics. Yes, trucks are leaving FedEx Custom Critical, but trucks have always left that carrier, just as they have always left all other carriers.

It is also true that trucks are coming to FDCC. Note the recent news that 30 trucks just came to FDCC from Express-1. That's 30 trucks in one move!

Diane and I communicate regularly with friends who remain at FDCC and hear from new people who are interested in how we are doing at Landstar. None of these folks have suggested that FDCC is running short of trucks or that the orientation room sits unused.

When a company can draw trucks in 30 at a time and keep its orientation room filled on an ongoing basis, they may not see departing trucks as a problem at all.

Are trucks really leaving FDCC in numbers different than before, or are you simply seeing the normal turnover that characterizes this business? If you choose to believe the former, on what facts or information do you base your belief?

People say lots of things, but when it comes to the number of trucks leaving a particular carrier, what are the numbers really, and how do you know?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If it works for some, then it works for some.

The problem is this - we only assume what is going on there, meaning how many come and go, how many don't like flat rate and how many are percentage.

Without the numbers, without the facts, no one can speculate on how much it impacts their business or if it does at all.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is a ever changing business and without the numbers, it is a lot of guessing. The same operator that pulled thirty trucks at E-1 was shown the door at the Cat last week for the same demand of preferential treatment that fell on deaf ears.
Just how it goes. Fed classes should be full for a week or so.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Its funny how people make claims (guesses) without facts. Turnover is actually down at Fedex from a year ago.

Flat rate people think the loads will be given to percentage .... percentage says its given to flat rate, around it goes.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Flat rate people think the loads will be given to percentage .... percentage says its given to flat rate, around it goes.

I would not be too dismissive about what people think. True or not, drivers tend to act on their beliefs.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It is a ever changing business and without the numbers, it is a lot of guessing. The same operator that pulled thirty trucks at E-1 was shown the door at the Cat last week for the same demand of preferential treatment that fell on deaf ears.

With over 1400 trucks in the fleet I don't see how an owner with 80 trucks would be able to demand preferential treatment at the Fed. We worked for that owner and I can tell you we never got any preferential treatment.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

What I don't understand is if someone has 30 trucks why aren't they running on their own? :confused:

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Preferential treatment? Hmmm who were the two fleet owners on this site that had 8 of the 10 top grossing trucks at Panther a few weeks ago?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Could have been anyone:D
Have to admit, if I had 80 trucks, I would wonder why someone wouldn't just operate under their own authority?
Then again, I have no desire to have 80 trucks.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Could have been anyone:D
Have to admit, if I had 80 trucks, I would wonder why someone wouldn't just operate under their own authority?
Then again, I have no desire to have 80 trucks.

I would think with the extra hassle of running a full company that signing your trucks on with someone else is easier for them. There is a lot of time, expense, and issues with staffing an office to run 80 trucks.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
What is the flat rate for straights at the fed? I heard it was $1.03 + fsc = $1.38. I think the flat rate trucks are marked BA,CA,DA,EA i beleive the " A " means flat rate? Is this true?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Preferential treatment? Hmmm who were the two fleet owners on this site that had 8 of the 10 top grossing trucks at Panther a few weeks ago?

We also find our own freight too, as we don't totally depend on our carrier for 100% of the freight that goes on our trucks. Your talking about two owners that has over 43 years combined time in the business also. That was a few weeks ago, that don't happen all the time either.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

If anyone thinks Panther gives preferential treatment to fleet owners they are so wrong. If they did we would be doing $30,000 a month per truck each month, our drivers want all the miles they can get. Don't think that our trucks don't sit sometimes because they do. That is why I use Trans Core 360 to help keep our trucks loaded.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I believe I have also heard that the fleet owner get a higher rate per mile then the one truck owner at Panther.

What we find nice about FedEx Custom Critical is we do not have to find our own freight we are busy enough as it is.

When we get into a bad area we are often relocated to a better area.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Preferential treatment negotiated by fleet owners and granted by carriers is not uncommon these days, if it ever was.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Preferential treatment negotiated by fleet owners and granted by carriers is not uncommon these days, if it ever was.

A lot of business owners around here seem to forget that carriers are businesses too. They expect theircarrier to treat them fairly for some reason, reading the soapbox, there are many people whining about too many people having an entitlement complex, well it's true everywhere, I find many o/o have an entitlement mentality when it comes to carriers, they think that oh the big bad carriers are making too much money off of me, charging me too much qc fees, too much of that.

Well guess what, if it wasn't for that carrier holding your hand, you'd probably be out of business.

I just find people lose sight of the fact that carriers are business's too and get spoiled by the Load One's of the world, justbecause one business owner chooses to treat his contractors fairly, doesn't mean everyone else has to.

It's your job as an owner to cultivate the type of relationship you want, if you want preferential treatment, then putyourself in a position to get preferential treatment, don't whine from the sidelines because someone wants it more badly than you do.