Expediter Cargo Vans May See An Increase...

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/2017/11/15/expeditors-anticipate-growth-when-eld-mandate-hits?
Best news I've read yet out of the ELD mandate...
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/2017/11/15/expeditors-anticipate-growth-when-eld-mandate-hits?
Expeditors anticipate growth when ELD mandate hits
The looming ELD mandate that requires every commercial truck over 10,000 lbs to be equipped with an electronic logging device starting next month is one of the biggest trucking stories of 2017. There has been a huge range of reactions, from livestock shippers who say that the stricter hours-of-service will harm their animals to smaller owner-operators who are worried about how they will get their miles in. Read More.

van.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best news I've read yet out of the ELD mandate...
Expeditors anticipate growth when ELD mandate hits
The looming ELD mandate that requires every commercial truck over 10,000 lbs to be equipped with an electronic logging device starting next month is one of the biggest trucking stories of 2017. There has been a huge range of reactions, from livestock shippers who say that the stricter hours-of-service will harm their animals to smaller owner-operators who are worried about how they will get their miles in. Read More.

goes to show if some are worried they won't get the miles in....the rate is TOO low to begin with...time for a raise...

Reactions: DollarSign

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That may be the obverse. And on the reverse we see many many more thinking all they have to do is buy a van and magically they have a career and income. It may be as detrimental as it is helpful overall.

Reactions: FlyingVan

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think LDB is right...an awful lot of my conversations with other van drivers involve them telling me they got out of a bigger truck to escape the "rules".

Reactions: ntimevan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Makes you think some of the van drivers are coming out of these neighborhoods,
These Are The 10 Worst Detroit Neighborhoods

I'm right there with them but probably over 20k per year. Trying to get back to 40-50k when I was a 2 van party so I can afford the premium Detroit lifestyle :D Once I get the 2015 Sprinter I'm sure I can double that also.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I'm right there with them but probably over 20k per year. Trying to get back to 40-50k when I was a 2 van party so I can afford the premium Detroit lifestyle :D Once I get the 2015 Sprinter I'm sure I can double that also.
That is the worst Detroit list I have ever seen.

1. Several of those neighborhoods do not exist.

2. The photos are not Detroit.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That is the worst Detroit list I have ever seen.

1. Several of those neighborhoods do not exist.

2. The photos are not Detroit.

Yeah it seemed a little off, I didn't think there were hills with pine trees in the east English Village. I was posting that to show the median income and housing price, not sure how accurate those were either.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
some of companies that use van's like ceva , started out trying ELD, in vans but didn't work out the way they though it would.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
it was that some of van driver's all they had was the van. they didn't have a car or pickup truck, to drive when they were not driving for hire. so when they change status the system they were using didn't log as off duty. still log them as on duty or driving

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've already been ask by several CDL drivers about cargo vans. Same song and dance drivers. Too many vans out here and it's a tough business out here.

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Loads like this one below makes me feel sorry for vans owners 3000 pounds on a van for 681 miles and probably get paid 70 cents or 80 cents a mile ..and someone will beat their van doing it.

SPRINTER from TERRE HAUTE, IN to FITZGERALD, GA - 'Expedited Load' : 681 miles, 3000 lbs.

The following 'Expedited Load' type load has been posted on the Alliance system:

Pick-up at: TERRE HAUTE, IN 47808
Pick-up date (EST): 11/23/2017 15:30

Deliver to: FITZGERALD, GA 31750
Delivery date (EST): 11/24/2017 05:15

Miles: 681
Pieces: 4
Weight: 3000
Dims: 48x40x30 in.

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you would never find me running a load like that for $.70 or .80 over loaded to. people sale them self to short, if you want my skills your going to have to pay for them. 21 year's navy cargo handle, 25 year's as a O/O . now retired for almost a year. when I came out of retirement to help out them out, they made it very worth while. for 30 day's when you are in trouble , you will pay to get it done. what ever company you drive for learn the system. as O/O don't let dispatcher push you around, if they don't meet your price, take a hike. when they come to you and ask what will you do this for. never start out low always ask for more than you want then bring it down to where you really want it. when I was at fedexcc and ceva always started out high and bought it to where they though they were getting a good deal. depending where it goes, there is always extra money to be made. d time , inside del, loading dock, 2nd floor or higher, so much to hand load or off load, military load

Reactions: Turtle

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'll believe it when I see it, anything else is speculation. The nature of the beast (see example) depicts the reality. "It's an expedite load"! To who?? The broker?
I'm able to 3000 yet only willing to 2500 (don't like going over 2250) (or more than 2 skids for that matter) and on t-day to boot? Better be a big premium added in.
Sadly someone probably did that too, and cheaply.
Threads dangle like cobwebs all over about killing vehicles by overweight.
Your life, your vehicle do what you will. Yet consequences will effect us all thus I've little sympathy.
To be completely honest I would like to see a positive arise from ELDs trickle in for us. I won't hold my breath for it though.