enough of the bs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
like I said im not asking to be treated better then anyone else and I know I wont get rich doing this job. thats not my intent But is it too much to ask that the companies treat the drivers like humans instead of just dumb cattle? You might be on a good relationship with a couple people in the office, but if they were all to go somewhere else and new people take their place would you be treated the same way or would you become just another number to them? What ever happened to driver friendly companies where when you called in they greated you by name and actually cared? I rarely ever get the same csr or dispatcher when I call in. When you finally find some one who seems to be freindly and knows the job and works with drivers, they transfer them to another department.Why? This isnt that hard of a job but they sure make it almost impossible to want to do a good job.

If you have not made a good relation with the people you talk with when you call your company, maybe you need to up your relation business skills. I admit, it was hard for me to understand why and how at first, but it does work. Saying the right thing can always have a influence. No one can tell you how to do it, because it all depends on your personality. When I first started talking with dispatchers (they like to call themselves load planners) I was all serious minded and all business. It was hello, whats going on, what should I do, goodbye. That didn't work. So, I tried other avenues, which involved getting to know who you are talking to. I won't name names, but I had one telling me 45 is the magic number. I was thinking ok, is that some kind of hint? She finally told me it will be 45 minutes before she can go home and have a nice cold beer. How many have you gotten to say that out of the blue to you? I have talked with this person, joke with them a little, let them know that I'm only human, trying to make it out here, just the same as she was working there. Anyways, we got a good load from her after talking for a few minutes and I was just calling to see what position I was in. Would of I gotten that load if I called in and talked with her as human to another human, I don't know, but I can't say it didn't help.

chi-batman

Seasoned Expediter
no I wont be a driveby poster, but then again I wont be one of those who gets on here everyday and types something just to see my number of posts go up. There is too much of that here and on other boards that I read.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
no I wont be a driveby poster, but then again I wont be one of those who gets on here everyday and types something just to see my number of posts go up. There is too much of that here and on other boards that I read.

Bad attitude, I'm done trying to give helpful advice. Have a good day!

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Maybe you need to think about and explore some other options, such as obtaining your CDL and looking for a fleet owner who wants a solo truck driver or looking for someone to team with. You are more limited by being a solo driver, even more so in a van or sprinter these days. Unless you are absolutely adamant about remaining in a van there are other, more profitable, avenues that you can take.

Your current situation is not working out the way that you want it to, and "big business" is always going to be "big business" with their best interests at the head of the line, so start with "the man in the mirror" and decide what you need to do to get to the place you want to be in life and do what you have to do to get there. It's totally up to you to either continue doing what you are doing, or strive to reach new goals.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well, I guess everyone sees things different because I see very few, if any, cases of people posting just for numbers.

You're right Mental. I think the trees are blocking this guys view of the forest.

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
Like I said batman if you "know" the business then start your own expedite company. You complain about the college grad yet he is in the cushy office while you run his freight. As long as you work for someone you WILL make him money. Isn't the whole point of business to make money? Go work for Habitat for Humanity if your into non-profit organizations. I agree that you are a contrived individual used to generate interest. However my offer for a hug still stands.:D A wise man once said " emema in rear makes for grouchy conversation:mad:".

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
Chi, i feel for ya!! Been there many times myself..at times it feels like a doomed cycle, then bam you have a great great week....I have 2 vans on with panther..and i can quickly explain why one does much better then the other....My driver has 13103 pd miles this year..my van has 7550 pd miles...my driver left vermont on jan 2nd and hasnt been home yet...i am home 3/4 of the weekends....i load out of michigan (short loads) every time i am home.....my driver has been in texas 8 times this year...on short loads (mich to mich) i go home after delivering..(why stay in a cold van when i am paying to heat my house). my driver only deadheads to the nearest board...my driver has patience (once waiting 12 days for a load)..i have zero patience(believing no load is worth waiting 12 days for)...My driver has not been north of kentucky since leaving home...ive only been south of kentucky 2 times this year....my drivers van is profitable....mine is barely profitable.....will i change my tactics to mirror his and make more money??? nope we have different lifestyles with different needs..what works for him
will not work for me...i have probably one of the highest grossing panther van drivers out there..including teams....mine is probably sub-par....but together its working for now..when i am done expediting i am going to auction my drivers skills off and retire..(lol)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the reason you didn't get the frt but a strt truck did....
1. you are not dock high
2. either the shipper or receiver do not have a ramp

any way you cut it you chose the truck to drive and live within its limitations. like layout posted they are set up for a variety of frt. vans are not.

ACEofSpades

Seasoned Expediter
Chi-batman,
I'm not sure who you work for but, at least you are getting loads. I have a class A cdl and I went to work for a HUGE trucking co. I sat in the hotel for a week and was never even assigned a truck. After looking through the job ads in my state I found an O/O Expeditor who needs a driver. It's a straight truck ,but it will pay the bills. The jobs are out there.....you just have to go after them. Call some of the recruiters for the big companies and ask them if any of their O/O's need drivers. I understand your general points however you MUST keep in mind that 1) things CAN get a lot worse 2) You knew going into this business you would be paid miles. That also means....NO MILES NO MONEY! 3) The big companies ALWAYS make more money than the small ones. Look at Exxon-Mobile for example, they make billions of dollars each year, yeah they SUCK to work for but their pay is gerat. Now look at H.D. Payne inc.( a local fuel company) they are great to work for BUT their pay SUCKS. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to keep food on the table and a roof over your head.

by the way, I'm new to expediting and I looking forward to many years in this business.
I have been driving a T/T for a year and I can say that the general trucking industry is NOT the place to go right now!!

Later,
ACEofSpades

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Chi, i feel for ya!! Been there many times myself..at times it feels like a doomed cycle, then bam you have a great great week....I have 2 vans on with panther..and i can quickly explain why one does much better then the other....My driver has 13103 pd miles this year..my van has 7550 pd miles...my driver left vermont on jan 2nd and hasnt been home yet...i am home 3/4 of the weekends....i load out of michigan (short loads) every time i am home.....my driver has been in texas 8 times this year...on short loads (mich to mich) i go home after delivering..(why stay in a cold van when i am paying to heat my house). my driver only deadheads to the nearest board...my driver has patience (once waiting 12 days for a load)..i have zero patience(believing no load is worth waiting 12 days for)...My driver has not been north of kentucky since leaving home...ive only been south of kentucky 2 times this year....my drivers van is profitable....mine is barely profitable.....will i change my tactics to mirror his and make more money??? nope we have different lifestyles with different needs..what works for him
will not work for me...i have probably one of the highest grossing panther van drivers out there..including teams....mine is probably sub-par....but together its working for now..when i am done expediting i am going to auction my drivers skills off and retire..(lol)

How long have i been saying stay off main street

Mr_Vango

Seasoned Expediter
Okay chi, it is evident you need a hug so let me be the first to offer. I am starting to think this post is a joke because you said first of all twice and secondly thrice. I don't look down on vans matter of fact I am looking at getting back in to mine. Just who aren't you mad at? I won't take as you state a "crap" run. If a run is less profitable but still pays I will take it and while you are complaining your welfare check is not enough expediting will be making a come back. I have skipped meals and showers and other creature comforts and BASIC NEEDS because as I stated before I have three beautiful girls counting on daddy to "SUCK IT UP AND BE A MAN!!!!!" Before you blast "greedy" companies ask yourself if you can do it better and if so step on up to the plate big timer and knock one out of the park. Just remember I am sending recruits your way and they want top pay, benefits and they better not sit more than one day. Oh yeh they also want full pay for DH miles. My leasing company gave me a truck in this economy and if they didn't I would still be running my van. I think the problem is you got off on the wrong foot with your company. I would never let someone put something called a "sunshine emama" in my rear. My advice to you is to get that thing out as soon as possible. OUCH!

Really who do you think you are trying to humilate this man?
Your comment (SUCK IT UP BE A MAN) etc throughout this thread..WHY don't you suck it up an give him your phone number
and meet somewhere and say to his face?
DO you know anything about him? WHere he has been? What he has been through? What happened in his life?
In all of your postings about this thread and few others her have tried to humilate him..YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOUR DEALING WITH.
WHERE you the kind of kid who tormented your classmates till they finally had enough to give you a knuckle sandwhich then cried to teacher?
You remind me of this hillbilly from Ky who drives a Chevy van for the cat..From what I hear kinda short, and articulate in person..But a big smart aleck tuff guy here. Really know it all.
Has close to 2600 posting just here alone..Must not be to busy to post that much..I know some more...I tell you this wise en himer eventully will be at a truckstop with its fellow Expiditers, bragging away how great it is,how great he is and a quick remember me?
I can't wait to see the look ok its face when it happens. And how much fun I will have afterwords...I will keep you all posted.

Last edited:

DougTravels

Not a Member
Really who do you think you are trying to humilate this man?
Your comment (SUCK IT UP BE A MAN) etc throughout this thread..WHY don't you suck it up an give him your phone number
and meet somewhere and say to his face?
DO you know anything about him? WHere he has been? What he has been through? What happened in his life?
In all of your postings about this thread and few others her have tried to humilate him..YOU NEVER WHO YOUR DEALING WITH.
WHERE you the kind of kid who tormented your classmates till they finally had enough to give you a knuckle sandwhich then cried to teacher?
You remind me of this hillbilly from Ky who drives a Chevy van for the cat..From what I hear kinda short, and articulate in person..But a big smart aleck tuff guy here. Really know it all.
Has close to 2600 posting just here alone..Must not be to busy to post that much..I know some more...I tell you this wise en himer eventully will be a truckstop with its fellow Expiditers, bragging away how great it is and a quick remember me?
I can't wait to see the look ok its face when it happens. And how much fun I will have afterwords...I will keep you all posted.

Don't beat around the bush, say what you mean. By the way, what's wrong with hillbillies? Although I was born and raised in MI, I am proud of my family heritage, of Pike County, KY hillbillies, I just wish more freight went through that area of Elkhorn city/ Ashcamp. I could freeload some good ole country cooking!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's just it! There are obviously many more pieces to the puzzle that is Chis situation. The guy says the only place he has to live is a cargo van that belongs to someone else, and talks about what recruiters said to him years ago. While I feel for him, I'm absolutely certain that the things he's not saying have far more to do with his situation than what a recruiter said 4 or 5 years ago.

And, just to be clear, I'm not saying he has any obligation to tell us anything personal. But, when he comes here looking for, ahhh, whatever it was he was looking for, he has to expect people to call it as they see it. Based on what was presented, manning up is sound advice.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Is it me or is there a rash of these stories going around now that the rates are dropping and companies are not doing as well as some were told they would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.