Dumb things dispatchers have said

guido4475

Not a Member
Amen to that, brother.The younger ones are the worst.Where do they find these people?I had a driver yesterday in Florence, SC ask me what do I haul in that van? I told him freight. He says " I never saw a van that could haul freight" I asked him how long he has been driving."For 15 years" he said.I figure I better stop while I was ahead.He drove a Semi.Gotta wonder.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I had a driver yesterday in Florence, SC ask me what do I haul in that van? I told him freight. He says " I never saw a van that could haul freight" I asked him how long he has been driving."For 15 years" he said.I figure I better stop while I was ahead.He drove a Semi.Gotta wonder.

We are in a D unit, and the question we most always get from the "big" truck drivers is "do ya make any money in them little trucks?" UMM,no we just drive all around the country because we enjoy the ride. :rolleyes:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
had a tstate dispatcher tell me once, after i so graciously explained that i would lose money if i accepted the load that it was ok i was self employed and i could write it off my taxes. beat that one.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Once had a dispatcher argue with me about how much money I was going to make on a load, they wanted me to drive 150 miles for a 130 mile run, refused to pay all the DH, Bonus or anything, and then I would have basically had to drive back to where I was...* sigh* and it was only paying a dollar a mile with a 15cent fuel surcharge.... (just a FYI I drive a straight truck)

aileron

Expert Expediter
A couple of months ago when we had the floods in Atlanta, I was at home and got a load that picked up 20 miles from my house. Got 5 miles away from the shipper and a bridge was out, had to turn back, found another way and that was closed too.
Dispatcher: "Are you there yet?"
Me: "Not yet. Bridge out, have to find another way."
5 minutes later....
Dispatcher: "Are you at the customer?"
Me: "No. 2 more bridges out and some roads washed out."
Dispatcher: "You need to go in right now because the customer is waiting for you."
I was like: What in the world, did I grow wings all of a sudden that I can fly over washed out bridges?
Half an hour of later...
Dispatcher: "We show that you are back where you started."
Me: "Yes, unfortunately all roads that I tried were either flooded or washed out."
Never heard anything from them any more, only the QualComm was beeping at me periodically reminding me that I was late.
Finally I got to the shipper after about 2 hours and 80 miles, instead of half an hour and 20 miles.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
we love talking to our VP's and try to assist them and encourage a line of communications....
We are busy please don't call :rolleyes:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i was with fedexcc i had 2 hours left a dispatcher sent a load offer and kept sending when are you going to take the load

i was sound a sleep in sleeper and didn't here clink and pager going off when i sleep i sleep
had so many msg on clink and got down to last msg was you are out of service for not ans clink
before i went to sleep told them to put me out for hours and someone want someone to cover a load and decide i was the one to cover the load and i was number 1 in fort wayne
when i got up saw light on clink for msg's and also said to call in
they told me you have to talk to a superviseor before you can be put back in service, said if you look at msg's you would see where i said i was tried and put me out for hours
they said we don't you are out of service until you talk to a super, said i'm not talkingto anybody i'm going home
they didn't belive me until i started for home in va
before i got to interstate had a load

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
One of my favorites was when still driving for one of those small sign companies.
I'd loaded out of Eagle Pass at 1600 on Saturday. Delivered Auburn Hills at 0700, Monday. Loaded out of Detroit Diesel at 1500, Monday. Delivered at Freightliner in Portland, OR, 1800, Wednesday.
The company owner says, "I've got a load for you". My reply, "I just did 4800 miles in 98 hours". Her response, "is that a lot?". :eek:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have a GPS system on my Nextel phone, allowing Ceva to see where I am(If I choose to have it on) Got a call the other day dispatcher says " I show you are in Canada" I'm like ummmm NO I am not in Canada, I'm in Chicago. "So you don't want this load in Canada?" NO I don't/can't go to Canada, sorry.

LMAO :rolleyes::eek:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Reminds me couple of years ago I was in Dallas for a delivery when I got a call from dispatch asking why I was 1000 miles from my delivery. Told them I was less than 10 miles from the consignee. Their response..... are you sure, we show you 1000 miles from delivery.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Reminds me couple of years ago I was in Dallas for a delivery when I got a call from dispatch asking why I was 1000 miles from my delivery. Told them I was less than 10 miles from the consignee. Their response..... are you sure, we show you 1000 miles from delivery.

Makes you wonder how they can be so off, but the people with qualcomms sometimes can't even move to the otherside of a parking lot without an alert.