Dumb things dispatchers have said

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
OK, I have had dispatchers say some of the dumbest things to me over the years. What are some that you have heard? I've had a dispatcher do this to me: We were on a haz mat load that tried to take us thru an overpass that we couldn't go thru. I called dispatch to tell them & the dispatcher actually said: "Are you on a road that cars go on?" Then when I once again explained the situation, she said: "Well, did a car run into the bridge and knock it down before you got there?" Ya gotta be kidding me! :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Had one Contractor Coordinator tell me it was alright that I don't take any breaks if I am tired. She said people drive 19 hours straight in vans, so I could too.

And had a dispatcher who didn't understand I was only allowed to drive 11 hours, she insisted I could take a load when I was out of hours.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Dispatchers are all great and wonderful people. I like and respect all of them. They are almost always correct and on top of things. They are almost deities They also monitor E.O.postings.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I had another driver tell me a dispatcher made this staement to him a while back...and ill be if someone didn't make the same statement to me last week...

"I wish you drivers didn't talk to each other, it would make my job soo much easier"......

This was spoken when i turned down a load......:rolleyes:

As for dispatchers reading EO post...so!?!? :rolleyes:

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
A friend of my who works for bolt just called, he broke down and they are sending a van to pick up the load from him, dispatch just called him and asked if he would do a load out of kokomo, he laughed and told them>>> i just called you and told you i was broke down

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
I was asked once if I had any trouble going over the border (I was going from Cleveland to Flint). Thought maybe she had me confused with somebody else, but nope. The young gal had never been outside of Wayne county.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
It's not always dispatchers!!!! I had an o/o call me yesterday for info on Bolt.....He actually asked me how many days were in 21 days........um....really??

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have had some dumb things said to me by dispatchers, and I have said dumb things to drivers I was dispatching. It's not that hard to blurt out something stupid when you're trying to keep track of so many trucks.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
We all make dumb comments from time to time, me more them most and more often, but the key is to left them know when they are doing a good job too.....

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
The best a dispatcher has said to me was "well, you probably won't get a load tomorrow morning or tomorrow night, or maybe even the next day but your the only truck in the area so you should just stay there until you get a load!" :eek: ROFLMAO yep, I was programimg the GPS to get the heck out of there even as I hung up with her! hee hee hee . . . Yep I'm gonna sit there for a couple days cause I'm the only truck in the area . . . hee hee hee! N . . . O . . . T :D

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure if this qualifes as dumb, a bad day, or if there's a protocal that I'm not aware of.

Last week I called to let em know where I was sitting. He starts screaming at me "DONT DO THAT!! DONT DO THAT!!" I wasn't exactly sure what not to do, so I asked. He told me to not check in. That the more I checked in the less they'd use me.

I'm not sure how they can use me any less, I've had 4 runs in about 2 months w/ this company.

I realize they might read this, but companies like this make me appreciate the dispatch staff at Try Hours (now mostly at PTL), Thompson, & EGL (now Ceva).

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The local Ceva office had me on a load that was booked out of Seattle. Our office told them to call me at 10pm for POD
Well, I got a nice wakeup call at 1am.
Guess they don't know the difference between time zones :rolleyes:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Had a quite young sounding woman (girl) call me and ask why I had turned down a load offer. I told her it was because the pay was not good.

She proceeds to repeat the pay figure and then say's "sounds like pretty good money to me". Oh really,and how many D units have you owned and operated is what I was thinking,but didn't say. :mad:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sure wish the title would have been Crazy Funney things Dispatchers have said and or Done.

Can ya can ya can ya?????

Hmm

Last edited:

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After I had to leave LEA, in April of '05(medical), for a while, I would get calls at home, offering me a load. Truthfully, most of the calls were from agents that knew me, having been with LEA twice, and would just look me up, in their system, and call me at home, knowing I lived in Charlotte. Kinda weird though.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I got a computerized load opportunity that wasn't paying good, kinda short and hazmat. Knowing that I was the only van sitting in Atlanta area I immediately turned it down. Five minutes later a dispatcher calls me and asks me why I turned down the load. As nicely as I could be I started explaining why it did not make sense for me to take that load, but I would do it for this amount of money. I didn't see her, obviously, but I think she jumped up when she heard me. She starts raising her voice at me that I have a contract that says that I get paid .85 per mile. Again as nicely as I could I told her that my contract also says that I am not forced to take any load if I don't want it. She quiets back down and tells me 'I cannot pay you that since there are other vans in the area that can do the load'. I was like Really? Why didn't they took the load in the first place? I knew I was the only one, but I thanked her for the offer and we hung up. Five minutes later she calls me back with ' Do you still want the load for that money?' I thought about asking her where the other vehicles were. Or to tell her that offer was 5 minutes ago, the dollar went down in value since then, so now the price went up, but instead I just told her sure, I will do it. I don't know, some people think we are just dumb, we don't know anything.

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
When i was flat bedding i had a dispatcher tell me my next load was in LA and it picked up at the grange. I was in Nicholesville KY at the time so i asked him if he ment La Grange Ky it took a few mine then he says yae thats it lol. Then he told me the load was going to Festus MO but he had to ask the other dispatchers where MO was. I just hung up and called operations and fired the dispatcher from working for me. I found out he was the son inlaw of the owner so i called the owner at home and told him the story of the idiot and that either i got my old dispatcher back or i walk. I got my old dispatcher back that day.