DONT Leave anything mounted in your dash....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A solo can't do anything with the QC Nav while you're moving. In fact, nothing on the QC will work while in motion.

As for the zip codes, if I didn't have one, or the gps didn't come up with an address or it had multiple streets, I'd google the company name and city. It always comes up. Usually, the street name is misspelled on Workflow when an address isn't found by the gps.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums mobile app

Now that I have a smart phone, I guess Google is an option - before, I'd have to unpack the laptop & crank it up, and there's seldom time for that before takeoff.
I still think the zip code should be included - it's not a complete address without it anymore.
It's ok if the nav system doesn't work for me, my Garmin does fine. Well, mostly. It sometimes says 'off road' when I'm not, [on Inkster?!] or thinks I've wandered off the route [but the signs say otherwise], but I can work with that.
;)

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Now that I have a smart phone, I guess Google is an option - before, I'd have to unpack the laptop & crank it up, and there's seldom time for that before takeoff.
I still think the zip code should be included - it's not a complete address without it anymore.
It's ok if the nav system doesn't work for me, my Garmin does fine. Well, mostly. It sometimes says 'off road' when I'm not, [on Inkster?!] or thinks I've wandered off the route [but the signs say otherwise], but I can work with that.
;)

I agree on the zip code. The QC nav is a useful tool since it is truck specific. Your garmin probably isn't. I used the QC and my Cobra nav together. The QC is pretty versatile and I think you'll like it. Get Matt in the shop to show you how to set it up. If I'm around the yard, or if you get to Columbus, I'd be glad to show you.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums mobile app

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Zip codes should be showing up on the latest revision. This was one of the changes that the drivers requested on here a few weeks ago that we were able to make happen. If you are not seeing them then the update may not have got to your unit. If not call Matt in the shop and we can get the update pushed out to your truck again.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Boss - I'll call Matt tomorrow & ask him to send the update. One more question: when it was first installed, and Matt showed me how it works, I asked if it would reroute from the current position, [like when forced to detour]. He said it would, but the one time I tried it, it didn't. Maybe he misunderstood the question - it seems to have just one route from here to there, correct?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think it should re route in fact I am pretty positive it does. Matt can verify this and probably answer any other questions.

kurtkaoss

Active Expediter
I've had some issues with the QC navigation. 80% of the time, it can't find the address. Might need an update, perhaps....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I've had some issues with the QC navigation. 80% of the time, it can't find the address. Might need an update, perhaps....

That seems REALLY odd as most drivers tell me it finds more than the portable units do. Is it filling in and auto navigating from workflow?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That seems REALLY odd as most drivers tell me it finds more than the portable units do. Is it filling in and auto navigating from workflow?

why do teams get to use theirs?....a team mate is supposed to be in the rack....why can't we all be teams for QC reasons?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
why do teams get to use theirs?....
I don't have any maps installed on mine, so the Nav part doesn't work at all, but if you can't use it while moving as a solo, then it's precisely as useless as mine is with no maps.

Does it at least talk to you and tell you when to turn as a solo, or do you have to pull over and find out where to turn? :D

It's so big and unwieldy I can't imagine that it's worth using for anything other than navigational audio cues as to turns, because you can't hold it and look at it while driving.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
why do teams get to use theirs?....a team mate is supposed to be in the rack....why can't we all be teams for QC reasons?

Well teams are not always in the bunk when not driving. Especially non regulated teams. We are experimenting with teams being able to use the Qualcomm while running. We will not offer this to singles as it is not safe.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

More often than not, the QC would find addresses that my Cobra would not. It could be a download did not complete on your unit. I'd have Matt check the version number the next time you are at the yard.

I don't have any maps installed on mine, so the Nav part doesn't work at all, but if you can't use it while moving as a solo, then it's precisely as useless as mine is with no maps.

Does it at least talk to you and tell you when to turn as a solo, or do you have to pull over and find out where to turn? :D

It's so big and unwieldy I can't imagine that it's worth using for anything other than navigational audio cues as to turns, because you can't hold it and look at it while driving.

It acts just like the portable units giving turn by turn, etc. I did notice that it will re-route faster than my Cobra did. My unit was mounted on the dash, so it was easily seen and heard. Yeah, you can't change anything on it while moving, but it wasn't a huge problem since I could change my Cobra.

guido4475

Not a Member
Well teams are not always in the bunk when not driving. Especially non regulated teams. We are experimenting with teams being able to use the Qualcomm while running. We will not offer this to singles as it is not safe.

But we still have to look away from the road to hit the buttons for the voice prompts when going down the road...I think it would be less distracting if we were able to use it while going down the road only for reading messages sent, not being able to reply. Most of the time, I pull over and read the messages, because I have a difficult time understanding the female martian voice.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But we still have to look away from the road to hit the buttons for the voice prompts when going down the road...I think it would be less distracting if we were able to use it while going down the road only for reading messages sent, not being able to reply. Most of the time, I pull over and read the messages, because I have a difficult time understanding the female martian voice.

I do think we should be able to read the QC while driving. Replying is out of the question since it's nearly impossible to do that safely. But reading a message, or the pickup/delivery information, while moving faster than 12 MPH would be great.

When I get a QC message while driving, instead of pulling over and reading yet another message about fuel receipts or logs not being turned in or whatever, if I think it might pertain to the load I'm on, I use the Web browser on the phone to go to Fleetvision and read it on there. Otherwise, I just let it sit there unread until the next time I pull over.

I write details of the load information, pickup name and address, special gates or docks, on a piece of paper and then grab that and look at it when I need to. Because, that's so dramatically different than grabbing the QC and looking at it when I need to.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I get a QC msg while moving, I don't even know it until I stop: the unit sits upside down [because the light annoys me at night] on a cabinet that seems built for the purpose, and I keep it muted. Ditto the GPS, because I like it quiet.
I don't mind if the nav system doesn't work for me, cause the Garmin does fine & the zip codes are back on the addresses & I'm happy with that.
I got a new smartphone and an mp3 player - how much new technology can one [old] person keep up with, anyhow?!
:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I get a QC msg while moving, I don't even know it until I stop: the unit sits upside down [because the light annoys me at night] on a cabinet that seems built for the purpose, and I keep it muted. Ditto the GPS, because I like it quiet.
I don't mind if the nav system doesn't work for me, cause the Garmin does fine & the zip codes are back on the addresses & I'm happy with that.
I got a new smartphone and an mp3 player - how much new technology can one [old] person keep up with, anyhow?!

the more the better because...well Ya never know.....:p

I use mine for a night light between the seats on low light, kinda like theater lights...other then that it is a good paper weight while driving...LOL

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member

What if it is a message strictly for you? Maybe they cannot reach you on the cell? Ever think about just dimming the keyboard light at night?........

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
...we are denied access on the company supplied equipment to minimize liability...but yet we can use our phones for access, which in the case of accident, puts the blame directly on the driver.
from a company point of view it is a good move...:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What if it is a message strictly for you? Maybe they cannot reach you on the cell? Ever think about just dimming the keyboard light at night?........

and just how long is one without cell service for that long that makes a real difference?...if it won't ring thru the voicemail always works...the QC is not a reliable way to transmit an important message

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I'm with cherri I won't pull over to read a qc message except if I am already headed towards pickup before receiving the address. If it is important enough that it needs read they will call. I don't see it as smart to enter and exit traffic a couple hundred times for the one time it might be personal. You are increasing your chance if an accident each time you do. As far as the voice no thanks trying to decipher that kills your concentrarion beyond a normal call.
Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well Qualcomm (and most manufacturers) for liability reasons does not give us an option to make the units usable for singles while in motion so kind of a mute issue. I agree cell phones can be distracting and in commercial vehicles hands free is required to help minimize this.