DONT Leave anything mounted in your dash....

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went to enjoy dinner with Xiggi at 8p.m. Sunday Eve in Southgate at Red Lobster on Eureka...Had a great meal and came outside to roll back to Load 1 and we found my Sprinter had been broken into...Broke the Driverside window while bending the door frame also...All they took was my GPS!!! ??? Next to the GPS was a brand new action cam, my Sirius xm radio my laptop was in sight also...So lesson learned not to leave things in the dash...So im oos...SUCKS!!!Hope it don't cost too much to fix or that our deductible isn't high... :( Be careful yall...
So Beware in Southgate also...Cop said a business was getting broken into when he let my report... :/

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That sux.

Oh the bright side, whoever stole the GPS will be really mad when they realize it's a Tom Tom.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That blows :mad: I'm been getting a little lax on putting stuff away from view myself, unfortunate reminder :(

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Besides the most states it's illegal to have anything mounted on the dash

Is it the dash or window that's illegal to mount things on? The way states are could be a liitle of both I suppose

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a warning in Minnesota ... Nothing is to be mounted on the dash and nothing hanging from the rearview mirror to obstructive driver's view Xiggi

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dropped todd at his house yesterday. His van is supposed to be done Friday or Monday. Just needs the window and weather stripping.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dropped todd at his house yesterday. His van is supposed to be done Friday or Monday. Just needs the window and weather stripping.

Did they force the door open with a crowbar?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did they force the door open with a crowbar?

No they popped the glass with one or a heavy screwdriver. Stuck it between the glass and window frame by the rear upright. It bent that metal out but the guy told him that bends easy. The rubber strip also has metal in it which was bent so that needs replaced. Doing you where your yard accident got repaired.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If there is any painting to do ...make sure they match the paint!

Nope its all good the only holdup is waiting on the glass to come in. At least it happens on a normally slow week.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well I guess it is time to use that navigation on the qualcomm.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Besides the most states it's illegal to have anything mounted on the dash
27 states have prohibitions from mounting items on the windshield, but few enforce it unless something is mounted where it clearly creates a blind spot. If it's kept low or in the corners, no one cares. In some states where windshield mounting is illegal, it is legal if it's mounted in the (roughly) 7" x 7" space in a lower corner.

lawx-large.jpg

Green indicates yes on windshield mounts. Yellow means yes, but only in specific, limited space on the glass (the corners). Red is a flat no.

As for dash mounting, I'm not aware of any state which prohibits dash mounting, as long as it's not sitting high enough above the dash to create an obvious blind spot.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually I got a warning because it was a radar detector on the dash.....
You got a warning instead of a ticket, because (1) it's not illegal on the dash and (2) Minnesota police try like crazy to discourage the use of radar detectors in that state, so they issue warnings about them when they are even remotely considered to be creating a blind spot. But they don't issue citations unless the radar detector is mounted to the windshield itself or is suspended between the driver and the windshield in some manner.