Do you too get lonely away from home for long time

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am ok as long as I am running. Sometimes after sitting for a couple days I do miss company. That is why I like busy [laces like Laredo always someone to talk to. The winter cold makes it harder to get out and talk too.

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
Well after my first month in the business I am still in the air with this one, Cause I have been wanting to move from ohio for over a few years so this business is giving me the chance to do so and still be able to come back and take care of a things.

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
I think one thing that might get me down a little is that I may not be able to ride my motorcycle that much when the weather gets better.

guido4475

Not a Member
Do I get lonely? Sure!!! Thank God for unlimited cell phone and internet usage.And, Yes, it is alot better being in a place that has alot of other vans waiting also.Laredo is a good spot to wait, mainly because there are so many others there also.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
always lonely times.

We all get home-sick. Some handle it better than others. Ya just gotta get conditioned to your new enviroment. I think youll see an improvement pretty soon. Gotta stay bizzy while sitting. TV aint a replacement for human interaction. Get out of the truck and walk,shop and dine. Strike up conversations with perfect strangers.

While in sleeper try and make it homely. Get an unlimited cell account that also tethers to your laptop. Get a webcam and you can be face to face with your family and friends. Make sure everyone has your phone number. You're gonna be behind the wheel all day, might as well chat as much as your family and friends can tolerate.

You can get a slingbox device which allows you to view your home town TV channels. I really like seeing my news everynight. Not some unknown towns. Just seeing and hearing people you know well eases some of the "sickness"

Things are much much better for drivers nowadays. I spent the first 8 years as a driver hanging out at pay phones pretty much all the time during downtimes. Hated the fact that it was difficult for anyone to even be able to contact me.Many teary nights and days when bad things were going on at the house and I was unable to assist.

Hang in there Mam and you'll get over the "home sickness" I promise ya. KEEP BIZZY !!!!!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea it can get lonely out here. As guido said, thank God for unlimited cell phone minutes, my wife and i talk alot each day.

But i do have to say that when i get home and after the 3rd or 4th day when my 15 year old daughter starts to get on my last nerve, i do midd the road!!!:D

Guido, you are slowly starting to gain a good "standup comic routine".....Moot is light yrs ahead of you, but have faith, you will get tere one day!!!:D

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm lonely out here on the road....But, I try to make friends out here, and I am easy to talk to...Wish I had someone to ride with me, but...I havn't found anyone yet...I was actually in a relationship for 7 years with a girl and she broke up with me because of this job...Always being gone and stuff...:( But Ill find someone to share life with someday...:D

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
YA sure do the ICEMAN does have a heart. last year I was Home a total of 20 days out of the 365 days in a calandar year.

I did it for my Family to keep the bills paid.

I have a goal and Im not wavering off course.

This year Its the end of FEB ive been out since JAN1st
Im ready for a bit of HT.

By the way talking to some of the dispatchers that friendly female voice helps. Inspiring, sorta like the pin ups used by service members. Hence vice a pin up a sweet voice.

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I got my 4 legged fury buddy so we go out for walks a lot but living in sw mich I get home a lot ...last year the longest I've been out is 3 weeks...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, some of you are definitely over the line so this thread is finished now.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
OK folks, back open.. with minor editing :rolleyes:

Keep it clean please.

Thanks,

Dale