Do you get sick of the food?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I'm just curious. Ontario doesn't seem to have the same amenities for truckers as the USA. Husb loves the food you guys have over there, it's different for him and he's not sick of it yet.

I'm just wondering if those of you who are mostly travelling in the USA do get sick of the types of food you get there. Or.. after being a few days or weeks on the road, what kinds of foods are you craving. For me, I know when I eat out too much, I crave either something healthy, made of 'real' food, or something really homemade. Is it the same for you guys?

If you could get whatever you wanted during a shutdown/rest period at a truck stop here, what would you get? If you knew you could get something appealing to you, and you could call and order it to be delivered to your truck, would you bother? If you could order something 24/7 to be delivered, would it be something you wiould take advantage of?

If you could order some good stuff that you could put in your fridge to take on the road, would you bother, or is it easier to just go to a grocery store and make your stuff yourself?

Thanks for any input!

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
I'm just curious. Ontario doesn't seem to have the same amenities for truckers as the USA. Husb loves the food you guys have over there, it's different for him and he's not sick of it yet.

I'm just wondering if those of you who are mostly travelling in the USA do get sick of the types of food you get there. Or.. after being a few days or weeks on the road, what kinds of foods are you craving. For me, I know when I eat out too much, I crave either something healthy, made of 'real' food, or something really homemade. Is it the same for you guys?

If you could get whatever you wanted during a shutdown/rest period at a truck stop here, what would you get? If you knew you could get something appealing to you, and you could call and order it to be delivered to your truck, would you bother? If you could order something 24/7 to be delivered, would it be something you wiould take advantage of?

If you could order some good stuff that you could put in your fridge to take on the road, would you bother, or is it easier to just go to a grocery store and make your stuff yourself?

Thanks for any input!

Starting out you will find your expenses increased by eating "out" rather than preparing meals in the truck if you have the facilities.

With your own facilities you can prepare pretty much anything you want anytime you want it. Simply need to find a grocery store and stock up. This makes dining on the road the same as dining at home.

We prepare our own meals about 90% of the time, *never* eat in truck stops and will eat "out" about 10% of the time at a good restaurants. One such place is in Aylmer, Quebec called Bistro Ambrosia where the Spaghetti Ambrosia is fantastic... at least we think so.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
It's "usually" the dollar menu for me if I go out and when I'm not I bring my cooler along and do my shopping at Walmart. I buy my pop and everything there b/c truckstops charge "an arm and a leg". Speaking of....It's lunchmeat sandwhiches time!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe this will give you an idea...

Stuck in Erie over the weekend.

Subway in the truck stop....

I don't want to see another subway for months.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Maybe this will give you an idea...
Stuck in Erie over the weekend.
Subway in the truck stop....
I don't want to see another subway for months.

That's what I was thinking.. you're in a truck.. for however long.. you have to pull over for your hos thing.. you're kinda limited to whatever happens to be there.. and even to go somewhere else, parking is often an issue.. sooooooooo.. if you were stuck at the truck stop with the Subway, and you knew you could've ordered something to be delivered to your truck.. what would you have wanted? And would you have bothered? Or just stuck with the Subway, knowing it was only going to be for so long?

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
That's what I was thinking.. you're in a truck.. for however long.. you have to pull over for your hos thing.. you're kinda limited to whatever happens to be there.. and even to go somewhere else, parking is often an issue.. sooooooooo.. if you were stuck at the truck stop with the Subway, and you knew you could've ordered something to be delivered to your truck.. what would you have wanted? And would you have bothered? Or just stuck with the Subway, knowing it was only going to be for so long?

With a straight truck you will find the options for parking much better than the longer articulate tractor/trailer rigs. There is a lot of discussion in the forums on this issue alone.

We have never ordered anything to the truck, but have always managed to find parking close to if not at a place where we wanted to dine at. Walking to the restaurant isn't an issue and actually very welcome after perhaps sitting all day.

If you have facilities onboard then preparing your own meals rather than ordering food for delivery or eating in truck stops is much preferred for two reasons:

(1) Truck stop management feel they have a captive audience with the trucks sitting in the parking idling away so items inside are usually priced accordingly. Same thing with delivery where you will pay more than if you were to prepare your own.

(2) The food in those places in not necessarily always the best so after a period of time you may find the pounds creeping on and your health deteriorating as a result.

What type of truck are you running in? Any food preparation facilities?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
(1) Truck stop management feel they have a captive audience with the trucks sitting in the parking idling away so items inside are usually priced accordingly. Same thing with delivery where you will pay more than if you were to prepare your own.

That is so true, they make so much money.

(2) The food in those places in not necessarily always the best so after a period of time you may find the pounds creeping on and your health deteriorating as a result.

Ah..... not necessarily? I would say 99% of the food is below that of McDonalds food in quality and fat.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
After 6 weeks on the road most food tastes the same...ya do that mental check list and it's all so blah after awhile...Between Cracker Barrel, Panera Bread (soups) and Sholtskis Deli and SUBWAY!!!

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I always get the craving for my favorite chinese place, "Golden China" in Spring, TX. It's down the steet from where I live, so everytime I go home, I have to order it. It's not a very attractive place, but they cook all the food with fresh ingedients, and they use white meat, not the dark kind when I get General Chicken. They are sooooo good. There is a truck stop across the interstate, but like I just said, it's across the interstate, so you could only get there by walking if you were really motivated to do so....lol. They are the absolute best, and they have ruined all other chinese places for me. If I could get them to order to me in another state....I would have to say I would do so...

Penguin

Expert Expediter
After w few weeks on the road everything begins to taste fatty, even an egg salad sandwich.

When I hit home I go to the best fresh fruit place and buy the fixings for a HUGE fresh fruit salad. I think my diet lacks something critical when I'm on the road, and that fills the bill.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have a an electric skillet and convection/microwave that allows us to fix almost everything we would at home.
When we first started expediting we ate out almost 100%. We were just to tired and confused
with getting use to the hectic schedule we found ourselves in to want to take time to cook and clean. As we learned to manage our time better we found we had the time to cook on the truck.
We did grow weary of the same menu from stop to stop.
We do treat ourselves once or twice a month to a nice diner ala Carrabas or whatever attracts our eye and appetite. This gives us something to look forward to and recharges the
batteries by "going out on a date."

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
72 oz steak from the Big texan in Amarillo tx,All you can eat lobster buffet in Orlado fl at the Bostan lobster feast resturant

Attachments

• lunch.jpg
    lunch.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 6
  • all u can eat.jpg
    all u can eat.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 3

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
simple answer, yes. none of the ts have a local menu. it would be nice to get bbq in texas, cajun in la. or seafood in fl or the east coast and really good pizza anywhere but the j. sometimes i long for a good beef hot dog like i get in chicaga.

greg i got sick of subs back in 84 or 85 when that is all they served us track worlers at the detroit gp for 3 days. then dinner was more subs. someone made money on that deal!

i actually do not get sick of the canned campbells chunky soups or the sammiches i make, strange. maybe that is why i have lost 20 pounds in the last 5 months.

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Sick of the FOOD??? OMG YES!! I can NOT eat at ANY Flying J, and Subway just makes me GAG!! NONE of the chain truckstops REALLY offer GOOD food any more, and the menus are ALL THE SAME!! AAAKKKK!!

That's why I DO love my "Little Truck"!! I can make what we WANT to eat!! Sometimes, it's a REAL challenge to cook in a moving vehicle, but I enjoy making our own food. It CAN be a pain, but it's better for us. I DO like going "out" for breakfast,though.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
There are some pretty good things I can make in a Microwave. Buy a lot of fruit at Meijer Walmart, etc.

I have ordered a pizza delivered to my truck in Salinas, California.

Got some pretty good food from catering trucks in New Jersey.

I hate to go in a truck stop, and see the price of a salad, or hamburger is 7.50.

In the nineties, I thought the steaks were good at TA. Tried one a month ago, and it was not good at all.

Brown's on south side of Little Rock is outstanding.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yum...Nicks exit 183 off I40 Carlise Arkansas..lotsa big truck parking Barbeeq and catfish dinner!:)

Waffle House for Breaky!!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Waffle House or Huddle House for breakfast! We did discover Truckers Inn in Sauk Centre, MN has an awesome breakfast.
Normal TS fare is terrible for all the reasons previously mentioned. We cook in the truck most of the time

indydad11934

Seasoned Expediter
I get tired of fast food like everyone else. This is why I take advantage of home time. When I get home I like to cook things that I can't normally get on the road. My neighbors like to see me come home because I usually share the things that I cook with them....in return, they watch my home when I am on the road.
Cooking is a hobby for me and it also gives me an excuse to invite friends over. I enjoy the company because I really get bored on the road.

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I also spend a lot of time cooking at home to stock our freezer. I freeze the food in either vacuum pack bags or in freezer bags that I flatten out like a book. The more I can get our food to freeze in a book form the more I can get in the freezer.
We have it both ways we like to eat in the truck but if we are laid over very long we get tired of sitting in the truck and need to get out.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Greg,

Next time you are "stuck" in Erie PA try to find the Erie Farm Market. Neat store. lots of off the wall chesses and VERY low prices. Can dig up enough stuff there for making a good meal in the truck. Also go to the Wegmans there. Lots of made up foods that are better than most places you will find on the road. Layoutshooter