Do you get sick of the food?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I never get sick of the food on the road, because it's food that I make. I don't much like fast food, nor trust truckstop food, and most of what's listed on the exit signs as "food" doesn't even qualify, IMO.
Eating well means frequent shopping for perishables, but it's worth the time & effort, to get a balanced diet.
If I could order food delivered, I probably would, once in awhile - things that are time consuming (BBQ ribs) or require a lot of ingredients (Chinese food) come to mind. Or Cassata cake - that would be a definite winner, lol (A balanced diet includes dessert, right?);)

Reactions: 1 person

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that was literally stuck, could not move anywhere. But I will put that in my note book.

I thought about what team Caffee mentioned and I am going to try that but when I freeze the food, I am going to put them in a form (I got an aluminum hinged case that would be perfect) to make sure they are consistent. I will be going on a restricted diet soon enough so I need to make the best of everything.

Scott777

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I have used the "Burton" lunch box looking cooker that you plug into the cigarette lighter.. You can use a oven bag and put potatoes cut up, carrots or green beans,(they work best) your choice of meat, seasoning, 1/4 cup of water or less, you have to experiment, just fold over the bag a couple of times loosely, close the lid, plug it in and wait 1hr 45min to 2hr 15min then dump it out on plates and no pan cleanup..

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I like to find a park with those grills in the picnic area and cook enough meat to last a few days. Then I buy some raw vegetables and I'm set. I eat out occasionally, but usually at a decent restaurant.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I have used the "Burton" lunch box looking cooker that you plug into the cigarette lighter.. You can use a oven bag and put potatoes cut up, carrots or green beans,(they work best) your choice of meat, seasoning, 1/4 cup of water or less, you have to experiment, just fold over the bag a couple of times loosely, close the lid, plug it in and wait 1hr 45min to 2hr 15min then dump it out on plates and no pan cleanup..

A wise husband and wife team told me recently almost the same thing, but using the mini crock pots (walmart-$8?) They use the oven or crock pot bags and take whatever leftover veggies or meats, cut up in chunks, and tossed in. If there's not enough veg, the little cans of veg are the perfect size. They were also keen on the steamer bags, said they were the best way to reheat meats like pork chops, ribs. I'm going to try that after I get home again. I recently started buying the precooked rice- either frozen or dry- they're perfect for one or two people, and the only thing my tummy can take after 3 days straight of McD's.
-Janet

warlordblee

Seasoned Expediter
There are some pretty good things I can make in a Microwave. Buy a lot of fruit at Meijer Walmart, etc.

I have ordered a pizza delivered to my truck in Salinas, California.

Got some pretty good food from catering trucks in New Jersey.

I hate to go in a truck stop, and see the price of a salad, or hamburger is 7.50.

In the nineties, I thought the steaks were good at TA. Tried one a month ago, and it was not good at all.

Brown's on south side of Little Rock is outstanding.

Avoid the truck stops if possible, overpriced canned crap, you can do better by grilling in the parking lot.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
\how can you get sick of the food? every truck stop,the foods the same.if your sick of it you wont be able to eat,I feel the weight comming off already

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow Steve I think you have hit upon a solution, we need to quit eating in the truck and eat all meals in the truck stops, we get sick of the food and we quit eating so much. How come I am doubting this theory a little bit the more I think about it!!

You are thinking out of the box for sure.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
My Bride hates ridding in the Truck. She thinks its a good looking Truck and tells me "Its my Toy now go make $ with it".

As for what I want on the road she aint out there so I better not go any further. (Remember Tex) but not for I. Oh Food, yeah yeah yeah Healthy right. It is possible to eat well just need a plan and simple meals work for me, Microwave, fridge, and small freezer will save you big $ and keep you healthier.

Try your best to eat all three meals, and do the dinner thing early enough that your not sleeping with a FULL belly, or your gona look like your always full.

I love eating out, but I appriciate Value for my $ I am dissipointed when I feel they should of done a better job.

First warning sign of crappy food and service = go to the restroom first wash your hands no soap no towels and a dirty restroom will usually mean Lousey Service and poor quality food. I am making a promise to myself lousey facility= I am out of there.

Thus saving me from being RIPPED OFF.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe this will give you an idea...

Stuck in Erie over the weekend.

Subway in the truck stop....

I don't want to see another subway for months.

Greg?? ...... ya know....... if u would of went down to the next exit.
forget exit number..... but its peach street..... heading west.... on 90...there is a wal mart there.......and tons of places to eat and a golden corral and you can park your truck there.........