Confounded by Big Cat Giveaways

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No real surprise as I watch their broker board. I just don't see it in huge numbers. Runs that are double are usually where they don't have the coverage. I don't see it that often if trucks are in the area. Does happen though.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yessir. Depends on the Cowboy, and the equipment the Cowboy has, that don't wanna be lost as an asset for service. It is a simple concept, tho many will never get it. And, there are those that you type that provide bottom feeder rates, that hit a homerun outbound and run back to within a few miles of "their" freight. Are they wrong??? To take YOUR freight. Certainly IS a delima. Ain't it??

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Great news from Panther. Got a QC message today stating new policy on 1st Outs. Effective immediately, Panther dispatchers will no longer have the authority to grant negotiated 1st Outs.
This is a real progress and I thank the drivers council, Leo, Turtle and everyone else who made this possible by speaking out for fairness. Sometimes, the squeaky wheel wins.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Aristotle... all I can say is Monkey see, Kitty say, Doggie doo. I'm interested to sit on the sidelines and watch how many "less than desirable" loads get taken, or if they reneg on their declaration.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
T-Hawk...perhaps my hopes are premature. It will be interesting to see if the new policy is actually implemented as announced. Time will tell. My experience with P2 is they keep their word. Are negotiated 1st Outs really dead? It won't take long to know.
What can a carrier do with "less than desirable" loads?
1) offer a bonus to drivers(not likely)
2) broker out the load
3) or, increase rates across the board

Carriers can't expect O/O's to take loads at a loss. $50 to cover a mini-run isn't gonna cut it. Maybe that worked 10 years ago with cheap fuel. With negotiated 1st Outs off the table, new incentives will have to come about. Otherwise, lots of loads will go by the wayside.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Do you think this will be a possibility?

"What will you do for a mini run?"

Attachments

• AA.klondikeoriginal.jpg
    AA.klondikeoriginal.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 6

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was sitting with a TriState sprinter last week when he turned down a load and was spanked...
New Rule...8 hrs out of service for rejecting loads...dispatch called him 1/2 hour later with another load....he said sorry but I am OOS for 8 hours...*LOL*

The Panther thing should be interesting since they didn't announce any enticements to take these mini's...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
OVM... that rule has been around for at least 18 months. I think it's one of the most gawd awful rules in expediting today. 8 hrs OOS, or until they need you, or until you've stood in the corner long enough.Puleeze! I'd rather take a spankin, and forgo the timeout.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
been a problem for a long time these first outs , got bumped in laredo 3wks ago by a st coming in off a 1100 mi run. new change came across qc no more first outs except for minis or dry runs? 8-14 dallas 2230hr, 5 th out,8-15 dallas 0900hr, 7th out, 2 firsts moved in,change not so far as i can see ,but that call will soon come for we need you the answer will be call your 1st outs or pay extra, i need a wk end off anyway.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
ya that first out thing is sure to cause some problems....time will tell if it affects everyone, or just us bottom feeders....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Panther thing should be interesting since they didn't announce any enticements to take these mini's...

Well, considering that a mini automatically comes with a First Out, I can pretty much guarantee that Panther will not offer a First Out as an enticement to take a mini. :D

In fact, the QC message flatly stated, "First outs will be reserved for Mini’s, Dry Run’s and for cancelled runs after 4 hours. If you request a First Out as an option to take a load, it will no longer be offered." (I think he means "granted" instead of "offered".)

And, "If you really want a First Out…take a mini."

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Well, considering that a mini automatically comes with a First Out, I can pretty much guarantee that Panther will not offer a First Out as an enticement to take a mini. :D

In fact, the QC message flatly stated, "First outs will be reserved for Mini’s, Dry Run’s and for cancelled runs after 4 hours. If you request a First Out as an option to take a load, it will no longer be offered." (I think he means "granted" instead of "offered".)

And, "If you really want a First Out…take a mini."

They must not love me, I didn't get a message. And yeah, a mini or dry run is not a negotiated first out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Theres lots of money in a mini..to pay a flat 100 bucks plus FSC on the real mileage and eliminate almost all the first outs all together....people would be more apt to do them and P2 would get more covered and make up for what they give away...50 bucks? abd they are getting about 200???? 75% gross profit...They must think we are stupid out here...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
They still broker out quite a few of those little runs and when they broker them out they pay through the nose. I've gotten some darn good money doing some of those short ones when their drivers are turning them down. Here's a good example. Their bid board has nine loads listed for Monday pickups and the longest one is 278 miles. The shortest one is 16 miles. There have been quite a few of those kind of loads on the bid board, and the only reason they're there is because they've been turned down. Maybe if they offered more money to their drivers for those short ones they would cover more of them in house.

As to these first outs, what's wrong with a strict first in first out policy? That's the way it should be. The idea that someone can roll into town and get a load before someone who's been there longer just seems wrong in so many ways.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did 3 shortys yesterday...total 478 miles....grossed about 675 for all with stop charges and upgrades...good day...I'd do that all week.....Think I'll switch to Panther and clean up...theres money out there but everyone is waiting for the big one....

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I did 3 shortys yesterday...total 478 miles....grossed about 675 for all with stop charges and upgrades...good day...I'd do that all week.....Think I'll switch to Panther and clean up...theres money out there but everyone is waiting for the big one....

That's the problem. A lot of people wait for the home run when three singles will get you the same thing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the problem. A lot of people wait for the home run when three singles will get you the same thing.
best thing to...only cost me about 60 bucks for fuel!!!

Busy all day and evening, not sitting around T/S's getting bored spending money...listening to all the gripping...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
OVM... quite often, the mini-runs are offered with a wait time of 8-12-24 hours of wait time before pick up is scheduled. Would you commit to a mini offered on Monday morning that doesn't pickup until midnight or Tuesday morning? Would you spend several hours covering a mini run requiring you to drive 75 miles to shipper, then 40 miles to consignee where you have to wait until following morning for plant to open? All for flat rate of $50. Of course, if you decline the load offer, you move to bottom of the board sometimes. On weekdays, there is no refusal penalty if offered more than 8 hours in advance, same for weekends if more than 24 hours in advance.
By mini run, I mean loads of 75 paid miles or less. No paid deadhead miles. No bonus. All requiring several hours time plus fuel expense. Pays $50. Want it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM... quite often, the mini-runs are offered with a wait time of 8-12-24 hours of wait time before pick up is scheduled. Would you commit to a mini offered on Monday morning that doesn't pickup until midnight or Tuesday morning? Would you spend several hours covering a mini run requiring you to drive 75 miles to shipper, then 40 miles to consignee where you have to wait until following morning for plant to open? All for flat rate of $50. Of course, if you decline the load offer, you move to bottom of the board sometimes. On weekdays, there is no refusal penalty if offered more than 8 hours in advance, same for weekends if more than 24 hours in advance.
By mini run, I mean loads of 75 paid miles or less. No paid deadhead miles. No bonus. All requiring several hours time plus fuel expense. Pays $50. Want it?

Of course not....those rates suck BIG time...no need for that theres alot more money to be had...it's a RIP