Confounded by Big Cat Giveaways

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Panther friends, has this happened to you? I spent 48 hours as the only truck available on the Paris,ky board over Saturday and Sunday. This morning I wake up as 2nd out(another truck moved in with a 1st Out). Okay. By 6pm I am 5th out because several more trucks have moved in with 1st Out status. I haven't refused any load offer in past two weeks and have a 100% on-time rating. When I ask dispatch what is going on with all these 1st out's I can't get a straight answer.
Is something fishy going on here? In my seven years with Panther, I have never seen this. They have a written policy of "first in - first out." I am beginning to think there are some "unwritten" policies at play now. Could favortism be afoot? As a solo owner-operator, these 1st Out giveaways are killing me. I want a fair and equal shot at getting load offers. How can I compete with operators who want to skip in line ahead of others? The fairness and integrity of the dispatch system has to be above reproach or it will unravel.
This can't be an anomaly. Something is going on. I am the only truck here without 1st Out status. Driver's Council are you listening? I can't compete in this environment. Please help reform this madness.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I've noticed that too. I'm with you on this one. However, I think (since they have so many vans) they are calling the van that is closest to the load. They are also dispatching loads way early. This has been happening a lot to me. I was dispatched a load at 1300 with a .38 cent fsc going to Mansfield, OH. The only thing about this load is that the scheduled delivery time isn't until Wednesday at 0800. I am going to try and get there tomorrow night. I know for a fact there was 14 vans sittin on the Chicago board, but I wouldn't know for sure if they were all offered that load or not. they probably were, but turned it down b/c the shipper didn't want to pay layover on this one. I took it cause I've been out for 3 weeks running hard and I wouldn't mind going home for a bit. I'll probably get into the door and they'll call me on a load. :cool:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This can't be an anomaly. Something is going on. I am the only truck here without 1st Out status. Driver's Council are you listening? I can't compete in this environment. Please help reform this madness.

Replace Panther with FedEx - same thing happens.

Some say it is just luck, others say it is favoritism, but all I can say it is not an anomaly - no system is perfect.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
You probably just had bad luck in that case. When I was in my van that never happened to me not once. I might have been bumped back one or two spots because of someone with a first out but never five back. I think it's just a case of 'when it rains it pours'. I'm sure you'll have a good week next week.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I am shocked!

Favoritism by dispatchers?

Golly gee whiz Batman. Holy cow! Can it happen here?

Surely you jest? :eek:

It is beyond my comprehension that a company with such a large infrastructure; i.e. computers, software, IT groups etc. could allow for one iota of favoritism to occur. :rolleyes:

Bottom line....humans are going to do what they want to do...when they want to do it....and however they choose to do so.

Last week I had a dispatcher send me a rude message on the QC. I have 10 minutes to respond to any load offer. About 7 minutes into that time frame I was able to get a Chevy dealer to commit to a time to service my truck. I sent the dispatcher a message putting myself out-of-service. I thought I was being courteous to the other trucks on my board. The dispatcher replied, "Next time, don't waste our time taking so long if you are going out-of-service."

Oh, I see. Waste your time? Well, they must have some time to waste as I sat in the number 1 position on the Atlanta board for 5 days! Gee, how about wasting my time? Hmmmm?

My flesh wanted to send back an equally rude reply over the QC, but it really wouldn't do any good. I just prayed that God would soften that dispatcher's heart.

The Bible says, But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Thanks for posting this incident and keep us informed.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've noticed that too. I'm with you on this one. However, I think (since they have so many vans) they are calling the van that is closest to the load. They are also dispatching loads way early. This has been happening a lot to me. I was dispatched a load at 1300 with a .38 cent fsc going to Mansfield, OH. The only thing about this load is that the scheduled delivery time isn't until Wednesday at 0800. I am going to try and get there tomorrow night. I know for a fact there was 14 vans sittin on the Chicago board, but I wouldn't know for sure if they were all offered that load or not. they probably were, but turned it down b/c the shipper didn't want to pay layover on this one. I took it cause I've been out for 3 weeks running hard and I wouldn't mind going home for a bit. I'll probably get into the door and they'll call me on a load. :cool:

I;ve gotten a few of them early dispatched loads and just delivered it straight thru....no need to sit on it...once I ahd a 160 mile load Monday morning that didn't deliver till Wednesday...I delivered Monday afternoon...It;s just NLM scheduling..or whatever bid board

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I sat and watched it happen in Nashville, then Lexington, then Dallas, then Laredo, then Dallas again, then Memphis. Then it was St Louis, Chicago, Grand Rapids. Sitting there watching first-out after first-out roll in ahead of me. It's not luck, it's a pattern, and it's out of control.

Many van drivers are asking for, and getting, a first out because they don't want to have to sit after they deliver, either because of too many vans, or because of too few loads. There is no excuse for someone coming into Texas after an 800 mile run with a first out at delivery. None. Yet it happens all the time.

"When I ask dispatch what is going on with all these 1st out's I can't get a straight answer."

Of course you can't, it's dispatch, and the dispatch supervisors, who are letting this mess happen. Don't mess with dispatchers. If you can't get straight answers from Driver Relations, simply ask for Sean Kessler.

They say it's not supposed to be happening, yet it is. The only conclusion is, they're lying about it not supposed to be happening and it's condoned, or there are a lot of dispatchers running fast and loose with first outs who need to be made accountable for it. Either way, I want some accountability, either from those lying, or those handing out first outs like they're free.

I'm expected to be accountable for everything I do out here that affects Panther, and I expect the same out of them. When I see someone come in with a first out, I call in and ask why they got a first out. Sometimes it ticks them off, but usually when that happens, the first out never should have been given.

Accountability is a hot buzzword around the offices in Seville right now, so let's see if they can walk the walk and actually be accountable.

"Driver's Council are you listening?"

The Driver Council can be only marginally effective on this issue, since the official policy is to not hand out first outs unless there is a mini or a dry run, or something else happens that negatively affects the driver. In your case, especially with 7 years with Panther under your belt, you need to call Sean and tell him what's going on. Don't sit back and see what happens. Make it happen. The more calls or e-mails they get from you and me and anyone else who is seeing this, the better chance of it getting back under control. At least you'll get straight answers out of Sean.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My flesh wanted to send back an equally rude reply over the QC, but it really wouldn't do any good. I just prayed that God would soften that dispatcher's heart.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.
actionsmiley073.gif

I'd have at least sent back a message along the lines of, "If you had any idea about what all transpired between my receipt of the load offer and my going out of service, you would not have made such a rude and foolish comment like that. Have a mediocre day."

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Turtle... thanks for giving me the name of Sean Kessler. His name is unfamiliar to me. What's his position with Panther? I will call him tomorrow to see what relief we can get on this issue. By the way, I made several inquiries with dispatchers today(Monday) trying to get answers to these ridiculous 1st Out giveaways. One dispatcher, looking thru the notes, told me quite candidly these 1st out's had been granted for less than legitimate reasons. She tried to have them cancelled, but to no avail. I later spoke with an irritated dispatch supervisor who basically belittled me for raising the issue. I have delivered over one thousand loads safely and on-time for Panther. My questions are met with hostility. Every time I call them, I have to re-introduce myself all over again. It seems like an exercise in futility. I see a pattern of abuse and it is rampant.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I have a theory On the 1st outs at Panther, Someone correct me if Im wrong. They offer a 150-200mi or some other not so good load with a small FS, That they know no one wants and instead of paying someone a little more money they offer a 1st out, because it costs them nothing. Think about it, instead of offering someone only an extra $25, and they do this 100 times in a week which would only be about 2% of their loads thats $2500 a week or $130,000/ year . Business is Business..........
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Miguy... we at Panther are told the basic premise of the dispatch system is fairness to all contractors. Once upon a time, this was true. Those of us who have served Panther over many years and have developed an institutional memory regarding all things Panther, have watched it evolve/devolve into something much different from its earlier self. The good folks running the show now didn't build it. Ordinary, hard working contractors did. In those halcyon days, goodwill was abundant and good work was rewarded. Present day bean-counters in Seville could care less about the fate of a small operator such as me or you. I simply ask for fairness and get the bum's rush.
As I languish on the dispatch boards, I contemplate my place in the cosmos and ask: Does the squeaky wheel get the grease or the ax?

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
Present day bean-counters in Seville could care less about the fate of a small operator such as me or you. I simply ask for fairness and get the bum's rush.
As I languish on the dispatch boards, I contemplate my place in the cosmos and ask: Does the squeaky wheel get the grease or the ax?

I agree with you, I too have been with Panther for going on six years. They used to be a little more Driver friendly but now IMO they are just part of corp. america, where only the bottom line matters. The more Profit they make the bigger Bonuses Management gets, So the less they pay out to the drivers the better for them, and 1st outs dont cost the company a thing. Your right, they could care less about 1 truck O/O. The only time that we are any good to them is when they need to cover a load. As far as the squeeky wheel getting the grease or the ax, probly neither, just a drop of oil just to Quiet you down as to get you off the phone............Untill they need you again, then watch if its a crappy load (under 300 mi with a sad FS) They will offer you a 1st out...............but not an extra Dime.
________
VAPORBUDDY REVIEW

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"They offer a 150-200mi or some other not so good load with a small FS, That they know no one wants and instead of paying someone a little more money they offer a 1st out, because it costs them nothing."

Yeah, that's exactly what happens. The problem with that is that is wholly unfair to the other drivers. I've been told that they are trying to crack down on the bonuses. I can't say I blame them, tho. Whenever ever anyone asks for bonus money, the rule is that the load will be offered first to every other truck in the area to see if they'll haul it at base rate. If they can't find someone to take it on the cheap, they are supposed to come back and re-offer it to you. Sometimes they do that, sometimes they just put in on the bid board for CharlesD bid on the same load and run it for twice what it would have paid to a Panther driver. :D

If they can let it be bid out at far more than what they were willing to pay one of their own trucks to haul it, then the money is certainly there in the line haul for a measly little $50 bonus. But they'd rather pay more for someone else to carry it off the bid board than come back and "cave" to a request for bonus money, 'cause that sets a bad example and pretty soon everybody is asking for bonus money. And I can't say I blame them for that, either.

"I have delivered over one thousand loads safely and on-time for Panther. My questions are met with hostility. Every time I call them, I have to re-introduce myself all over again."

Yeah, that's an issue that has been on the "Action Items" list since day-one - the ability to distinguish between good drivers and bad drivers, and rookies and veterans. Last I heard getting that implemented was a top priority. I'm turning blue.

"I later spoke with an irritated dispatch supervisor who basically belittled me for raising the issue."

If a disptacher gives you any crap, immediately ask to speak to their supervisor. If it's a supervisor that gives you any crap, immediately ask to talk to their supervisor, who is Sean Kessler. He's the head of Driver Relations, and is thus over all Team Leaders, Dispatch Supervisors and Dispatchers. (He's also who you talk to when you are ready to leave Panther.)

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I am still trying to crack the code of the "First-Out" mystery. If we had some transparency on these shenanigans, we could flush the rascals out of the bushes. But, they are a wily bunch known for concealing their deeds in the dark.
Most likely, they are habitual offenders riding a wave of "first-outs" all the way to the bank. Their accomplices at the home office use flowery language and pretty rhetoric to befuddle questioners.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always said to you guys...Panther is owned by an "Investment" group not a true transportation company...all they know is dollars and cents. And when the $$$ go away so will they, putting up the For Sale Sign....They are doing thier J.O.B. making money for the company...they couldn't care less about you's. Don't fool yourselves that your irreplacable and the NEED you....They may talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
OVM... P2 went thru more than just a name change when it became PES. I am fully aware of my meager standing within that structure. Some of us seek reforms to bring back fair treatment of contractors on specific issues. Although I established my bonafides in this industry long ago, I am always open to new ideas with merit. Do you have something of value to offer here?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the council should be convened immediately and an emergency meeting with company reps. called to discuss this issue. If both sides are serious this is not that difficult of an issue to settle.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If they can't find someone to take it on the cheap, they are supposed to come back and re-offer it to you. Sometimes they do that, sometimes they just put in on the bid board for CharlesD bid on the same load and run it for twice what it would have paid to a Panther driver. :D

Twice contractor rate... You're kidding, right??? I could say a WHOLE lot more, but I won't. Let's just say there's a whole lotta cut-throatin and penny pinchin goin on.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That's right OVM, i'd demand it happen immediately!!! If not sooner!!!! We'll then see how nimble the bean counters are to give up their happy hour to improve their contractors position. Hehe.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"And when the $$$ go away so will they, putting up the For Sale Sign."

Name me one "transportation" company that wouldn't do the same. Is FedEx owned by a transportation company, or by a bunch of stockholders?

What about Express-1? Ah, hah! hehe

As for the emergency Driver Council meeting to discuss the issue, well, the Driver Council's role isn't to make demands of management. It's not a union. The issue is well known and a meeting to discuss it won't make it any more well known.