Confounded by Big Cat Giveaways

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I totally agree. As CharlesD said, P2 will broker out these loads and pay through the nose. But, for in-house O/O it pays $50. Where's the logic in that?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The logic is not to give you guys a cookie, or you'll be wanting it all the time. They used to throw extra money at us, if we wouldn't take a load for the going rate; then stopped, obviously because drivers were abusing it. We hear they were giving first outs instead. Now that's being abused. Panther isn't its own little entity anymore. They have a parent company and its stockholders to kiss up to. By keeping the trucks static, as far as cost, they can let their partner carriers fight for it.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
T-hawk... I hear ya. But what is $50 worth today anyway? If we use 2001 as a base year(when I came into expediting) $50 bought 40gallons of fuel at $1.25 per gallon. Today, that same $50 buys 11 gallons at $4.50 per gallon. The only thing static are thes ridiculously low rates for mini's. Fuel has nearly quadrupled but rates stay the same, or decline, year after year. If rates followed fuel prices, mini's would pay something like $150 or more in todays dollars.
$50 in todays economy has much less purchasing power because of inflation. $50 today is worth what, maybe twenty bucks?

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
"Driver's Council are you listening?"

The Driver Council can be only marginally effective on this issue, since the official policy is to not hand out first outs unless there is a mini or a dry run, or something else happens that negatively affects the driver. In your case, especially with 7 years with Panther under your belt, you need to call Sean and tell him what's going on. Don't sit back and see what happens. Make it happen. The more calls or e-mails they get from you and me and anyone else who is seeing this, the better chance of it getting back under control. At least you'll get straight answers out of Sean.

In responce to the above. At our last meeting we got Panther to award first outs only for minis and dry runs. Dispatcher is not supposed to give one to get someone to cover a load anymore. Also Sean has a new tool that shows him trucks that have been sitting for 24 or more hours those trucks will get a load "offer" BEFORE a first out. We have all been stuck somewhere over a weekend and had minis come in and kill our week. This is supposed to stop that. If you have been sitting for 24 hrs your truck will show up in a different color so dispatch knows you get the offer first. But if you turn that load down and another first out comes in he will be ahead of you until you hit that 24 hr mark again.