Concluding Our Rookie Year

ATeam

Retired Expediter
2007 is the first full calendar year for Diane and me as owner-operators. After delivering a load reasonably close to home this morning, we decided to call it a year and head home.

Financially, we achieved what we set out to do. Staying out a couple more weeks before heading home for Christmas would produce more revenue but we asked, what's the point? Sure, more money is desirable, but to achieve a one-year goal in 11 months meant putting off stuff at home too. I guess we just reached the point where enough is enough. We'll kick back for a month and hit it hard again in January.

Home time will not be idle time as I have a number of non-driving projects to keep me busy. But it will be very nice to sit still for more than a day or two and deal with things other than freight.

Thanks to all here in the Open Forum. The year would have been less interesting, informative and entertaining without you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yessir Phil it's time to pull the plug till about April for me. Might get back out there sooner, IF, global warming provides good weather. Fortunately, i've been home a lot and nothing neglected there. So, when I get back this trip, all I have to do is drain the water in the hasienda before moving sud.

It has been entertaining here. Probably get more entertaining as it goes along. Still looking forward to giving you a tour of my truck. Someday.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I wish you and Diane a very Merry Christmas. Am glad you made
your goal for the year..enjoy your time off.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Col... you headin to Tejas again this year I take it?

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Phil congrats on reaching your goal. I guess now yall have to sit down and decide what next year's will be huh?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Technically, you are not a rookie Phil, even as a owner/operator.
==============================
True statement but not enticing. In fact, I am not sure why this post is even here?

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Who would care what the goal was unless of course he is sharing it with the EO members.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's everyone either get back on topic or mentally think our jabs to ourselves rather than posting them.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think all of it is on topic. Other than, wondering why this post by Phil is here in the first place?
Additionally, if one is now promoting himself as a rookie, then the newbie reading must realize there was was several years under a fleet owner prior.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know that anyone knows what "his" definition of success is. I don't know that it matters. I am sure it is much different than my own.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The post is here because a number of people "gives a rats #####."

When I write about expediting, I do so mostly with expediter wannabees in mind, and I write from the personal experience of once knowing nothing about the business and later doing well in it.

The people who "gives a rats #####" like to hear about expediter experiences as they consider their own course. At least that's what they tell me privately. That's why I post items like this and write a blog and stories from the road (links below).

These same readers would like very much to hear about other peoples' successes too. I really wish more successful expediters would share their stories and information about how they do what they do. Though, I also understand their reluctance to do so here. This is the EO Open Forum, where no good deed goes unpunished. Witness this very thread.

Technically, Greg, our rookie year as owner-operators began when we bought our truck in June, 2006. I used calander year because it is a more meaningful financial period that corresponds to our tax year. It does not matter. The story is the same, whichever 12 months you wish to talk about. We are first-time truck buyers and first-time owner-operators who have done well as such.

Yes, we are also expediters with three years of prior experience in fleet owner trucks. That fact has been mentioned so many times in other posts, I saw no need to mention it here. But since it seems to matter to others, I'll say one more time, we drove other peoples' trucks for three years before buying one of our own.

That said, it is also a fact that as first-time owner operators, we beat the odds, so to speak. No one repossessed our truck. We did not labor hard to make the truck payments. While we had a truck loan to deal with, we never once took a bad run offer because we were desparate to make a payment on time.

While we had some setbacks, and live a lifestyle that is not for everyone, all of our financial and personal goals have been met in this business. That is a great story to tell. And I tell it in hopes of providing options for people who, for whatever reasons, are looking for careers different than they have now.

Yes, there are benefits to having truck driving experience. But I want expediter wannabees to know that experience is NOT REQUIRED to jump in and succeed from the first day. That is not to say you can do so unprepared. If you do that, this business will eat you alive and leave you very much the worse for wear (as in bankrupt). But if you are prepared, expediting is a fantastic business opportunity, even now, as we stand in a slowing economy and on the threshold of a recession. Key words...IF YOU ARE PREPARED.

Who "gives a rats #####?" A whole lot of people don't, and they will eagerly say so. In fact, some of them read my every word, and then seldom miss a chance to say how much my writing does not matter to them and should not matter to others. I really wish these folks would talk more about what is right about their own success than what is wrong with ours. If they did, readers of all experience levels and the Open Forum itself would benefit more.

While a whole lot of people don't "gives a rats #####", there are those who do, including certain expediter wannabees who read this site. I want them to know that despite all the sour grapes and casting about of blame for failure that is seen on this site; plain, old-fashioned, pure-and-simple success stories are also found in this business.

I believe other people can enter the business and succeed. That's why I post items like this. I want people to know about the success side of expediting. Goodness knows the failure side gets its full share on these pages. That too is good. Expediter wannabees deserve to hear the full story, not just one side or the other.

In an attempt to return this thread to the spirit in which the first post was made, let me say again...

...Thanks to all here in the Open Forum. The year would have been less interesting, informative and entertaining without you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be of value to mention when you ACTUALLY started. Your post is misleading to someone new. Dump the other stuff on your blog for those that care to follow. I am getting too many people wondering why this post is here.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Only basing it on the information I am getting. As mentioned, I have no interest either way unless he is sharing his pot of gold.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator