Concluding Our Rookie Year

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have to agree with Dave, why is this post necessary? What it is, is simple bragging that he has made his goals for the year in 11 months. Well who in the ##### cares what his goals are and how he obtained them.

What I find amusing is that A Team has generated several posts predicting recessions and dire consquences for the future in expediting ,but he can take a month off. He claims this post is to help and inform new people to this industry but he contradicts himself on others posts. There will be changes within Fedex next Febuary that will make him regret taking December off. Greg knows what I am talking about.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess the simple answer would be the same every time. The thread you asked about is there because that's what the author of the thread chose to post. I am not the author and can't give you a definitive answer so there's really no reason to be questioning me about it. If there's something in it that violates our terms of service we'll address it immediately, otherwise you'll have to talk directly with the author to get specific details on the post. Please contribute to it if you have something worthwhile to add and if not please move on and enjoy the many other threads offered up.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

are12

Expert Expediter
Phil,

Your idea of success is very different from ours. We have been in expediting about the same amount of time (as you) but we started as owner operators (in a used truck and within a year and a half bought a new one).

If you have learned anything about expediting, you would realize this is not the time to go home - especially with all the doom and gloom that has been said in the past. We all know that business drops in January so why not get a jump on the new year by staying out til just before Christmas and take a month off then??

How long ago was it that you were telling everyone, now is the time to get out of expediting? Now you want to be an inspiration to wannabee expediter's? I just don't get where you are coming from!

There are many expediter's that don't only own a truck but also run a household on what they earn. To me, they might want to share their experiences on how they manage to do both, with the way the business is going.

Sometimes I get the feeling you post topics just to get a rise out of certain people.

Look, have a nice holiday but some things are better left to your blog.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree. Delivery is everything.
The wife and I have been doing the time lately from Aruba.
Who in the %&*%&* cares.
It isn't relevant to anything other than our drivers so why discuss it.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Phil what kind of goals did you all achieve? I'm just
>curious.

We have had the same goals since we entered the business. They are (1) increase our income, (2) simplify our lives, (3) spend more time together, (4) share a business project, and (5) see the country. All have been achieved each year we have been in the business (entered August, 2003).

These goals were set with our past careers in mind, which makes sense since we set the goals when we were still in those past careers. Now that we are well-settled in this business, goals 2-5 are pretty much taking care of themselves. Increasing our income was goal 1 in the beginning and continued to be through 2007.

Above, you mentioned setting new goals for 2008. We are in the process of doing that now, as we review our year-end numbers and year-ahead plans. I cannot tell you today what our 2008 goals are because I do not know myself.

With our truck to be soon paid for (two to three months until it is fully paid off), 2008 will be a different kind of year for us. We are thinking about a proper, away-from-the-truck vacation, something we have not given ourselves since we got into the business.

Since we don't make money if we don't haul freight, vacation goals and revenue goals conflict. Increased industry involvement that would take us off the road also conflicts (truck shows, conferences, etc.). Those are the kinds of trade-offs we are weighing now.

While the above goals do not address the need to retire, we did take certain actions in 2007 with retirement in mind. Retirement is not a goal for us. It is something we will be forced to do when our health deteriorates to the point where we can no longer haul freight and/or live on the road. Some of the money we made in 2007 was invested with that in mind. We may set some specific retirement-savings goals for 2008. We'll see.

Let me mention two things. First, setting goals has been very helpful to our business success. Doing so helped us know if we were on track or not and what changes needed to be made. Taking the entire month of December off would seem not to support goal 1. But goal 1 also told us we made it by November 30. That gave us the freedom to take December off without feeling guilty about not working.

Second, our goals are exactly that, our goals. To highlight the fact that individual goals are unique to individual expediters (at least for the expeiters that have goals), I started a thread called "How Do We Expedite? Let Us Count The Ways." See:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/6474.html

While I have often advised expediters to set goals, I have never said what one's goals should be...except that business profitability should be one of them. Without profits, an expediting business will not be around long enough to help achieve other goals.

are12

Expert Expediter
<<<I agree. Delivery is everything.
The wife and I have been doing the time lately from Aruba.
Who in the %&*%&* cares.
It isn't relevant to anything other than our drivers so why discuss it.>>>>

Dave,

If you are in Aruba, what are you doing on this site?? Jim wants to know, shouldn't you be out on the beach chasing bearded clams??

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Phil,
>
>Your idea of success is very different from ours.

And that is as it should be. I would never presume to tell you that your idea of success should be the same as ours.

We have
>been in expediting about the same amount of time (as you)
>but we started as owner operators (in a used truck and
>within a year and a half bought a new one).
>
>If you have learned anything about expediting, you would
>realize this is not the time to go home - especially with
>all the doom and gloom that has been said in the past. We
>all know that business drops in January so why not get a
>jump on the new year by staying out til just before
>Christmas and take a month off then??

Actually, I do not know that the business drops in January...at least not for us. What I do know is two things. I know that industry wide and at our carrier the business slows down. I also know that during the January slowdown, some trucks stay busy. That has been our experience. January has been a strong month for us, not slow.

We also know that December has been one of our weaker months. The mad, pre-Christmas freight rush that we hear other people talking about seems to elude us for some reason; and we are usually a team to stay out until the last possible day before Christmas. Knowing what we know about our own history in Decembers and Januarys, it is our best guess that December is a better month to take off.

>How long ago was it that you were telling everyone, now is
>the time to get out of expediting? Now you want to be an
>inspiration to wannabee expediter's? I just don't get where
>you are coming from!

If you are not prepared to get into or to be in this business, it is the time to get out...especially with a recession looking more and more likely. If you are prepared, expediting is as good a business opportunity. It may not be as good as it was in the so-called good old days, but it is a good opportunity nevertheless.

>There are many expediter's that don't only own a truck but
>also run a household on what they earn. To me, they might
>want to share their experiences on how they manage to do
>both, with the way the business is going.

Exactly! As I said elsewhere in this thread, "These same readers would like very much to hear about other peoples' successes too. I really wish more successful expediters would share their stories and information about how they do what they do."

>Sometimes I get the feeling you post topics just to get a
>rise out of certain people.

Other people have said the same thing and are incorrect. While certain people allow themselves to be set off by some of the things I write, I do not write to set them off. I share what I share because I want people, especially expediter wannabees, to know that successful expediting is indeed possible.

>Look, have a nice holiday but some things are better left to
>your blog.

You have a nice holiday too. (No buts). I hope you can look back on 2007 with pride and ahead to 2008 with confidence and joy.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are in Aruba, what are you doing on this site?? Jim wants to know, shouldn't you be out on the beach chasing bearded clams
============================================
Not usually when it is dark. Rain is another downer for a couple of hours.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There will be
>changes within Fedex next Febuary that will make him regret
>taking December off. Greg knows what I am talking about.

At the risk of moving this off topic, RichM, your words about upcoming changes at FedEx raise more questions than they answer. Would you or Greg care to elaborate? What changes are coming? Since you saw fit to mention it, could you say a bit more?

I'm sure I'm not the only FedEx contractor or fleet-owner-truck driver who would like to know what changes are coming in February. Do we have something to worry about that we do not not know about? If so, how did you come to know this while the rest of us do not?

Yes, we are home now, but we can go back in service in minutes if there really is something coming in February that would lead us to regret taking December off. What's up guys? Please share.

are12

Expert Expediter
You're right, it is a little difficult to enjoy the beach at night, especially if it is raining.x( x(

Enjoy your vacation!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Aruba? Folks are shoveling snow in Minnesota and many other parts of the country right now. Some people just dont' know how to live! ;)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Aruba? Christmas break? Family time? Okay, everyone take a deep breath. One and two and one and two... There isn't that better?

Okay back onto trucking topics.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.

37% of Americans agree that while they would hate being British, they wouldn't mind having a British accent.

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

I hate the country, all those animals walking around un-cooked.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------