Comfort Pro APU BLUES!!!

superboss1

Seasoned Expediter
Hey there
I bought a comfort pro to, they are junk. Three water pumps just like you. $9000 for this junk.
We should get together and protest to Carrier. my air compresser burned up at 5000 hours just over the warrenty. The reason it burned up is because it wasn't installed with a "low pressure switch" (to keep the freeon from leaking out)of course after they sold me my APU %@#$ crap ,they made them with the swiches installed. Then the Oregon dealer said "Sorry about that" but we can't help you. Now this is a $1000 repair bill.
I'm ****ed at carrier it's junk Ken

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine is not working, AGAIN!! Low on freon. AGAIN. The condenser ices up in minutes. AGAIN! If you want to try to do something with Carrier I will jump in. The only problem is mine was built before carrier bought them. I think, but not sure, that is the case with all the ProHeat models. Layoutshooter

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I was told the best system is the Thermoking APC unit. Their reefer units are everywhere, so it stands to reason that service is available everywhere everytime too.

I know exactly SQUAT about APUs, but we have been using a TK Tripack for one year with no problems. It is quiet and smooth and keeps going like the energizer bunny.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I will make this offer to anyone. If you are wanting to rid yourself of the nightmare Fill In the Blank APU, I will take it. Of course I have nothing to give but.....:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would love to get this dead weight off my truck. It costs me more to run than I save in fuel. If there were a affordable, working alternitive I would, I can't find one that meets all the requirements. IF CA would not be so goofy it would be able to be done, not very affordable, but the ONAN generator and a roof top seems to work, just not CARB compliant. Good idea if you have 8-9 grand laying around. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
IF CA would not be so goofy it would be able to be done, not very affordable, but the ONAN generator and a roof top seems to work, just not CARB compliant. Layoutshooter

ah, what do you think the head of CARB is suggesting?

They said the problem is the engine in the APU, the diesel engines don't use electronics and can't be setup for higher emission standards. The key to this is the diesel part.

So they suggested a gas generator instead.... I think a good Onan, a rooftop and everything needed to live in comfort may be a little less than an APU with all the problems.

Amazingly others see what I am seeing, the issue of California and other states regulating interstate commerce through emission laws. This is what it really is, telling one truck which is not equipped by the state's standards they can not run in the state when they are from another state. I was under the impression that the 1948 harmonizing of the trucking laws were to prevent one state stopping a truck from another driving in the state. This one issue should be on the OOIDA's list to bring to federal court to enforce the consitutionality of interstate commerce clause.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I would love to get this dead weight off my truck. It costs me more to run than I save in fuel. If there were a affordable, working alternitive I would, I can't find one that meets all the requirements. IF CA would not be so goofy it would be able to be done, not very affordable, but the ONAN generator and a roof top seems to work, just not CARB compliant. Good idea if you have 8-9 grand laying around. Layoutshooter

HowBout this one :

Diamond Power Systems

Moose.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chinese Diesel engine? Doubt if that meets CARB standards and what about parts, Onan is serviced about everywhere, who can service a clone of an english designed engine that never sold here in the states?

moose

Veteran Expediter
It's acyually dose meet and exceed all CARB requirements ,Having a PDF system on the exhausts , and it's own in house CARB testing facility .
Probably the cleanest APU around.
and only 70 DBL , very quit one.
It's have one of the nation largest service centers network ,with free shipping in most cases for parts.
it's also provide 4,000 Hours warranty , and will service and repair at no cost way beyond that warranty .
you can buy it here :
APU Truck Generator | No Idle Diesel Engine | Truck Generators | APU Generators

for only 6,200 $ , free shipping , and EZ half a day kind of installation , one size fit all .

they also have being around for a long time , and sold many units , mainly for fleets , just to show the abuse it can handle .
that same engine is the base for all of the other applications they sell , like portable generators , water pumps ,and power washes .

How can you go wrong ?
just investigate their web site.
i'm not endorsing DP by any way , just to reply to your points.

Moose.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Too bad it is Chinese. I really don't like to buy stuff from there unless there are no other options. Layoutshooter

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is sold through Peak Tools but they don't provide any service.
Outside of the SC location, who would service these? Site doesn't list any locations.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Yes it dose ,
go 2 Home , then 4-Diamond Dealer :

Diamond Power Systems - Four Diamond Dealer Listing

not all locations listed , they have more then 30 , that i know of...

They also Dino testing each and every unit before it is being ship to the Dealer ,
i think that it is kind of what that professor from Jurassic Park used to do ...

Moose.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
stop in and see bill moore at tsi in north jackson oh
his guy's can fix anything

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
stop in and see bill moore at tsi in north jackson oh
his guy's can fix anything

Bill Moore built my truck for me. They are great people to do bisoness with. TSI also installed my Comfort Pro APU, they did a great job and they stand behind the products they sell.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was able to get into the Carrier place in Wilkes-Barre, PA today. I paid my $110 dues to keep my APU cooling for another 4-6 months. What a crock!! I have to start looking into other options. Same as always, did a leak test, found no leaks. Refrigerant was 50% down. 1lb vs. 2lbs. Re-charged it, no leaks showing. It makes cold (removes heat to be correct) now. It will work for a while then it will ask for more dues money. Layoutshooter

moose

Veteran Expediter
Actually some of those leaks are really hard to find .
you might be better off , educating your self on AC leaks , and do it your self .

you can also suck the truck under water , and ask Scuba to dive in and find where the bubbles come from ...

Moose.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Same as always, did a leak test, found no leaks. Refrigerant was 50% down. 1lb vs. 2lbs. Re-charged it, no leaks showing.
The refrigerant has got to be going somewhere ......

Do they put that UV dye in the lines and check it that way ?