Comfort Pro APU BLUES!!!

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I now have 3495 hours on my Carrier Comfort Pro, and its broken AGAIN.
Since it was installed not even 2 years ago, I have had to replace:
3 Water Pumps
1 Compressor in the AC Unit
1 Generator ( The Bearings blew out the back)
4 Generator Belts (of Various brands)

It seems about every 500 hours I have either a major part failure or a belt fly off.

Now the bolt that holds the generator to the bottom of the engined has sheared off.

Does anybody own an apu thats not a pile of CR**. I would think you should be able to get a year or two of relatively trouble free service for the $9,500.00 the charge for one of these.

I really feel like I was taken advantage of by CARRIER, they had to have known these APUs were poorly designed.

Anyway your constructive comments would be appreciated,

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Anyway your constructive comments would be appreciated,

Yea I got a few.

1 - Shearing bolts? outside of the water a/c pump issues, it sound to me that either the engine is not running smooth like it should or there is a mount problem. My reefer had a similar problem and it was the engine missing and the mounts were rotted. I ended up replacing the mounts and 2 injectors.

2 - The water pump issue could be defective pumps (I bought 5 in a row that were from the GM dealer) or when installed not properly mounted and torque down, which with a few styles of pumps will affect the seals if they are just thrown on the engine and wrenched down tightly (I worked at a place that rebuilt them).

3 - I can't comment on the a/c compressor.

4 - the belt issue is an alignment issue and it could be that the frame of the unit is bent. When I had my reefer worked on last year I spent a day pulling apart a Carrier APU and the demo model frame was twisted just so slightly that it could have crew up belts. Oh before I forget, there is one other thing, the pulley on the engine may be bent.

5 - the generator blowing bearing is also an alignment problem and too much pressure on the belts (or could be)

6 - I will give you $500 for it.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
OH Yeah I forgot to mention that if it is warmer than 75 outside it cools like hot coffee. Also it has always been loud. It's noisier than my Drive engine.

About the only positive thing I can say about it is the heater works good.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OH Yeah I forgot to mention that if it is warmer than 75 outside it cools like hot coffee. Also it has always been loud. It's noisier than my Drive engine.

About the only positive thing I can say about it is the heater works good.

Well what can I say, it has an A/C problem, maybe wasn't purged or has cr*p in it when it was installed.

Also they make a muffler for the engine that makes it really quiet.

And I will still give you $500 for it, may even take it off the truck. :)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You've run that machine five hours every day for two years?? Are you living in the truck?? In Yuma?? An don't move?

I won't give ya nuthin for it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Bought one for much less than $9500, but it will be likely the last. We were lucky and only bought one.
It hasn't done that bad but the Rigmaster or Onan are a much better choice.
We bought ours in 06 and it lost a water pump, (covered under warranty) and blew the bearing out of the generator.
$1800 repair on it last month convinced me to go elsewhere.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This is the same as a Pro-Heat. Yep I feel your PAIN. First only use the Belts sold by the Dealership the crap from Napa is just that Crap. The Goodyear is the only Belt to use its three times more expensive but will last more than a year of hard use. Inproper Belts will cause some of the problems your talking about (water pump, bearings etc.) caused from the Vibration of the Junk Brand Belts. Had two Pro-Heat Mechanics tell me this that the ones that come in for problems are more than likely caused by the Belts and the Goodyear Belts were not seeing any of the problems your suggesting. My biggest problem which your not encountering is there was no dealer net work for me. But mine was rebuilt top to bottom except for Water pump, Engine and parts. Other than that all electrical, buttons, compressors, condensor, etc..... I am now almost a Pro for Pro-Heat. Would I buy another YOU BET N O T....... Sorry but I believe once you get it straight it should give you satisfaction. (should)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well....we have got two years of pretty decent reliability. But I think the new Rigmasters have it beat. Even more so with the new serpentine drive systems. Pretty much eliminates all the belt issues which have plagued a lot of different brands. With the little cat engines, you can find service practically anywhere.
Same thing with the onans.
With the Proheats, they are a pain to find service especially on the weekends. Most Carrier dealers are closed on the weekends, and are 8-5 through the week

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I believe the new ones are having a few different exhaust options. I would have to think they could be retrofitted to an existing unit.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am having the SAME problems with my PROHEAT. I will look into the better belts. I have broke two in 8 months. It does not cool well when it is really hot. The heater works great. The evaporator/condenser etc just had to be replaced. Lucky on that one. There was still 1 1/2 months left on the warrenty. I will look into that muffler when I get home. They are not well made and I am not impressed. I will not buy another. I did not buy this one. It was on the truck when I bought it. Layoutshooter

jaymarquis1

Seasoned Expediter
sorry i wasnt trying to advertise i just slip into it to easy. I drove for 10 years and with fuel and other factors (family) i just cant do it any more i went with them just because i belive in what thier trying to do. for future referance i will tone the salesman in me down.:D

gladman

Seasoned Expediter
I was told the best system is the Thermoking APC unit. Their reefer units are everywhere, so it stands to reason that service is available everywhere everytime too.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
we have a power-pac apu from leesburg fl. 2000+ hours and still running good. 3 minutes to change oil and filter...they come with a quick drain, no tools need and plenty of power to run ac, mw, tv etc....we paid 7k installed (includes dometic h/ac) in feb 08...not sure of current price.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
The a/c not cooling well is most likely caused to low freon. The 5000 series a/c hoses leak the R22 freon without it showing up in a pressure check or dye test. There is an upgrade for the hoses available, Carrier knows about the problem, if you go through your dealer he can get you the upgrade, my dealer did this for me. Even without the upgrade my Comfort Pro will cool my sleeper down to 68 degrees in above 100 ambient temprature. My dealer says you should change the belts every 800 hours. The a/c compressor going out was most likely caused to low freon, with low freon the compressor will burn itself out, unless you have a cut off switch installed which is also an upgrade. My dealer, TSI Western Star talked to carrier and they agreed to upgrade my unit under warranty as soon as I can get over to TSI to have them do it. There is also an extended warranty available for the Comfort Pro. I have had a few minor problems with my Comfort Pro, but over all I am happy with it.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
4995 hrs, in addition to the other problems, i have replaced a Engine CCU and then two weeks later the Main AC CCU.

What a pile of crap.

OH yeah almost forgot, Oil Sensor cracked and blew oil out everywhere about a week ago.

anyway evry 500 hrs I have a major repair,

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now my FRIGGIN generator sheared the bottom of the engine, these things are so crappy.
I know this is going to be a 2000k repair. Couldnt have come at a better time either.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know how you feel, I am always having mine worked on. Has anyone ever had any repair that came at a good time? I never have. Layoutshooter