CNN and MSNBC stirring racial unrest in Ferguson, MO.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Notice that until just recently the MSM has chosen NOT to emphasize this little tidbit of information. As previously mentioned, assault of a police officer is a felony in MO. This will no doubt be introduced in the grand jury proceedings even if the robbery isn't.

Yes. early on it was mentioned the officer sustained injuries. It was before they even released the name of the officer. I think the robbery will be introduced in the grand jury. The chief mentioned that the officer figured out the two were suspects in the robbery after the initial encounter. It is pertinent as to possibly why certain actions were taken by all three involved in the incident.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes. early on it was mentioned the officer sustained injuries. It was before they even released the name of the officer. I think the robbery will be introduced in the grand jury. The chief mentioned that the officer figured out the two were suspects in the robbery after the initial encounter. It is pertinent as to possibly why certain actions were taken by all three involved in the incident.

The problem is that the "Media" is not interested in knowing, or reporting, truth. They are only interested in creating an atmosphere to push an agenda.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have they released a time line about when the robbery call went out over the radio in relation to the encounter?

There have been claims made that the cop learned about the robbery during the encounter but has an official time line been released?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have they released a time line about when the robbery call went out over the radio in relation to the encounter?

There have been claims made that the cop learned about the robbery during the encounter but has an official time line been released?

Yes, 11:51am robbery call is dispatched. 12:01pm initial jaywalking encounter. Shortly before the shooting the officer surmises that they may be suspects in robbery.(according to chief) 12:04 other officers arrive at scene . The incident is already over.

Timeline: Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Mo.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The body stays exactly where it fell until the initial on-site investigation is complete and the police and coroner are satisfied. Having a screaming and menacing throng of people distracting the investigators undoubtedly prolonged the investigative process. It takes as long as it takes to be thorough. Emotionalism hinders every step of the protocols which must be followed. There was no way to make this pretty.

I completely agree with that. The difference is that in every other fatality investigation, the body of the deceased is shielded from the view of passersby, using tarps, tents, etc. That this protection of privacy was not afforded the deceased in this case was viewed [and rightly so, IMO] as disrespectful in the extreme.
As I said to begin with, the unrest didn't require outside or media "stirring", because word of mouth and text messages and facebook/twitter spread the message without the aid of the media. Had not a single reporter appeared, cellphones with cameras would have kept it going, too.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Notice that until just recently the MSM has chosen NOT to emphasize this little tidbit of information. As previously mentioned, assault of a police officer is a felony in MO. This will no doubt be introduced in the grand jury proceedings even if the robbery isn't.

Under the circs, [people rioting in the streets], you don't find a lapse of 4 days before the first mention of any possible provocation for shooting an unarmed teenager to death a leetle bit suspicious?
Keep in mind, there is video [recorded by witnesses] that may well show Officer Wilson's face in the hours after the incident, but how much is anyone's guess. Since the authorities can't hope to control that, it does seem as if they were waiting to see what surfaced before making any claims re: Officer Wilson's status in regard to injuries sustained. The refusal to publicly identify the officer involved only makes that more plausible.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I completely agree with that. The difference is that in every other fatality investigation, the body of the deceased is shielded from the view of passersby, using tarps, tents, etc. That this protection of privacy was not afforded the deceased in this case was viewed [and rightly so, IMO] as disrespectful in the extreme.
As I said to begin with, the unrest didn't require outside or media "stirring", because word of mouth and text messages and facebook/twitter spread the message without the aid of the media. Had not a single reporter appeared, cellphones with cameras would have kept it going, too.

Actually, not every other fatality IS covered with something. Me tink the fatality don't give a crap about privacy bout that time (I never seen one that complained), seems there were plenty of brothahs on the force that could have came to a vain persons rescue IF this is a Racial thing. However, the brothahs were were just as busy as everyone else i'd expect, under the circumstances and was prolly an oversight because.......when you are up to your *** in alligators, it's hard to remind yourself your initial mission was to drain the swamp. Regardless, i'd imagine that with the kids imposing stature, you'd a not even gotten injured before ya poped that cap......I know I wouldn't have, if humanly possible. And yes the Race Brokers have a lot to do with this jes like the Florida issue. Bottom line.....when a cop tells ya to stop, then stop, otherwise you could suffer indescretions as you see it, like the big buck did.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Actually, not every other fatality IS covered with something. Me tink the fatality don't give a crap about privacy bout that time (I never seen one that complained), seems there were plenty of brothahs on the force that could have came to a vain persons rescue IF this is a Racial thing. However, the brothahs were were just as busy as everyone else i'd expect, under the circumstances and was prolly an oversight because.......when you are up to your *** in alligators, it's hard to remind yourself your initial mission was to drain the swamp. Regardless, i'd imagine that with the kids imposing stature, you'd a not even gotten injured before ya poped that cap......I know I wouldn't have, if humanly possible. And yes the Race Brokers have a lot to do with this jes like the Florida issue. Bottom line.....when a cop tells ya to stop, then stop, otherwise you could suffer indescretions as you see it, like the big buck did.

The privacy and respect are in consideration of the family of the deceased, and a public that does not approve of the sight of death - until it's been cleaned up. How many accounts of death include photos of the body in situ? In the age of cellphones that take pretty good photos and videos, there'd be a lot, if the authorities didn't get the bodies out of sight quickly. If you want to view corpses, you really have to look for them.
Maybe 3 [of 53] seems "plenty" to you, but if any of the "brothahs" on the force were present, it wasn't in any supervisory capacity. Nor were there many "alligators" to deal with, in those first hours. They came later.
What you'd do in the officer's place, or what I'd do, is irrelevant - he is the person trained for that, supposedly. We'd like to think that training doesn't involve shooting unarmed people whenever you feel like it.
Buying into the "it's all because Al & Jesse showed up" story is a mistake. They didn't make the black people in Ferguson distrust law enforcement and authority, they just took advantage of it for their own vanity. As usual.
Until we take a hard look at whether black people really are treated as 'less than' by the [white] authorities, Ferguson will happen again and again. It's a problem we need to deal with, before it gets even uglier than it already is, for all of us.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably would make sense to address why the majority of crimes in Ferguson are committed by blacks. Law enforcement is really only a small part of it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The majority of crimes in Ferguson, just like any other community, are committed by the majority racial demographic of the population. People don't commit crimes, or not commit them, because they are of a particular race. People are people and they all commit crimes for the same reasons.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The majority of crimes in Ferguson, just like any other community, are committed by the majority racial demographic of the population. People don't commit crimes, or not commit them, because they are of a particular race. People are people and they all commit crimes for the same reasons.

That may change in Monroe county. Many drug dealers, the majority are non-white, are moving in to the area. The population is still, by a large margin, white. We are seeing that there may soon come a time where the majority of the crimes here MAY end up being committed by minorities. It is, however, NOT the norm.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Probably would make sense to address why the majority of crimes in Ferguson are committed by blacks. Law enforcement is really only a small part of it.

I have repeatedly heard, over the last two weeks, that statistics compiled by the FBI show an average of 400 fatalities per year attributed to police shooting. Of those 400 deaths per year, 96 are black males. Again, that's an annual average of 96 black males killed by police in the United States.

Not to diminish the death of any single person, but 400 total police-related fatal shootings per year in a nation of 300 million is a very small number. 96 deaths even smaller. Considering we live in a rather violent society, our police show a lot of restraint in the face of considerable danger everyday.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the 400 and the 96 are accurate that means the 400 deaths are 0.00000133333333333 percent of the population and of those 400 there are 24% that are black. I suspect we won't be hearing much from the media about 76% of those killed by police being other than black.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
If the 400 and the 96 are accurate that means the 400 deaths are 0.00000133333333333 percent of the population and of those 400 there are 24% that are black. I suspect we won't be hearing much from the media about 76% of those killed by police being other than black.

LBD, you and I know statistics can be twisted, cooked and distorted to fit just about any point of view. I have no idea if these numbers are all inclusive nor do I know the FBI's methodology in compiling these stats. USA Today is credited with publishing these stats.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have repeatedly heard, over the last two weeks, that statistics compiled by the FBI show an average of 400 fatalities per year attributed to police shooting. Of those 400 deaths per year, 96 are black males. Again, that's an annual average of 96 black males killed by police in the United States.

Not to diminish the death of any single person, but 400 total police-related fatal shootings per year in a nation of 300 million is a very small number. 96 deaths even smaller. Considering we live in a rather violent society, our police show a lot of restraint in the face of considerable danger everyday.

Actually, that 400 figure is the number of killings that have been classified, by the police, as "justifiable homicides" rather than the number killed. If Brown's homicide is found to be unjustifiable, it won’t show up in these statistics. There’s no governmental effort at all to record the number of unjustifiable homicides by police. The actual number killed by police is significantly higher than the 400.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Link: Local police involved in 400 killings per year

A careful reading of the FBI report, in its entirety, would be needed as well a a full understanding of the methodolgy used to compile the numbers. Admittedly, it's increasingly difficult to trust a government which isn't transparent and likes to change longstanding definitions to suit immediate political needs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, we probably won't, considering the 96 is 24% of the 400 and blacks only comprise 14% of the population.