Christmas Dinner Traditions

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I'm getting really bored with the same old turkey dinner thing, and I want to do some different things this year. I used to work with a woman whose family made the usual turkey thing, PLUS homemade cabbage rolls each year at Christmas.
I'm wondering what other families do.. whether an ethnic tradition, or just different ideas.. can I get some ideas of what your family traditions are, as far as the big meal?
Thanks!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
A friend of mine never does the traditional dinner, her family cooks all kinds of seafood, they have different dips and finger foods throughout the day.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We do the traditional dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas is whatever we feel like that is a little more than usual. This year our daughter is making her homemade lasagna and it is awesome.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Be careful what you wish for and think twice before knocking the traditional Christmas dinner.

Diane's family celebrates Christmas on Christmas eve at "Grandma's" house. On Christmas day, all the kids celebrate Christmas with their in-laws. Since we have no kids and my parents have passed on, Diane and I have Christmas on Christmas Eve and that's it.

So, the family, all of whom will be enjoying traditional Christmas dinner on Christmas Day, starts chatting it up on e-mail about Christmas Eve food. One of them has the brilliant idea to do something new ... a Christmas Eve taco bar! Fun! they all said, a taco bar it is!

My joy knows no bounds. It is so worth driving home for the Christmas taco bar.

After I threatened to drive to the nearest Flying J for the free Christmas dinner Volvo is giving away to CDL holders, the family relented and agreed to cook a ham too.

A Christmas taco bar?????? Ho! Ho! Ho! :mad:

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Haha! Yes, I guess traditional fare would be especially appreciated by many, probably myself included, if I didn't have to do all the cooking!
But hey! You could always go to your apartment for Christmas day and make your own turkey feast!
I have to admit it has annoyed me for many years that if I want a turkey dinner, I must cook it myself.. while others it seems (like my older kids for example), get 2 and 3 and sometimes even 4 turkey dinners cooked for them, every year, without lifting a finger! One of those pet peeves..
Man that taco bar is sounding really good! Anyone bringing me any Cholula? Can't get it here you know!

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
All my life, we have had the same ollllllddddddd thing.. like homemade cranberry sauce, even though the people who liked it are dead now (altho in the meantime, at least one other has grown to like it).. and even though nobody really even likes turnip/rutabaga, and the peas are mostly for color.. and the traditional Christmas pudding.. I'm lucky if anyone will even try it after they found out what goes in it.. haha!
So a couple years ago, I searched for some new ideas and came up with some nice ones.. but no.. the fancy pear/walnut/bluecheese/baby-greens salad was NOT a hit.. and the spaghetti squash casserole didn't go over.. and the homemade ginger butternut squash soup was hardly tasted.. they want their old traditional cr*p, even if they don't particularly like it!
How about a little stuffed chicken with a big thing of chicken paprikash and homemade noodles? :)

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I'm really on kind of a tangent now, aren't I tho?
But why have tradition just for the sake of tradition?
Has anyone heard that story about the recipe for the holiday ham being handed down through the generations?
When asked why the young woman cut both ends off of her holiday ham, she didn't know why, only that mother and grandmother had always done so.
Turned out that back in the day, the pan wasn't big enough for the ham, so the ends got cut off!
hehehehehe

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I always do a lasagna dinner christamas eve. Christmas day dinner is ham with my special pineapple/maple syrup glaze and all the trimmings including crescent rolls filled with a special chicken/cream cheese mixture and a homemade strawberry cheesecake for dessert.. New years eve is prime rib with all our favorite sides.
Gosh...talking & thinking about all this food is making me hungry!!!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
This year we are going to invite Chef Olive from Olive Garden to prepare a feast for us. We haven't decided what Chef Olive will create. We are still drooling over the carry out menu.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
No matter where I am Christmas and Thanksgiving I make my mom's candy salad. I have to say it is a love it or hate it kind of dish. But to my mother and her family it was one small celebration of a good years crops and the one splurge for the holidays.

It is a combination of chocolate bars, apples, oranges, bananas, marshamallows and cinnamon red hots.

I only make it twice a year and even though mom is gone I make it in her honor. (I also happen to love it!!!!!!!!!!!!) :)

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
This year we are going to invite Chef Olive from Olive Garden to prepare a feast for us. We haven't decided what Chef Olive will create. We are still drooling over the carry out menu.

You're so lucky to still have Olive Gardens over there! They all packed up and left here years ago! Even tho there were hour lineups to get in ALL the time, I guess it still wasn't profitable enough for them to stay.
C'mon Prof, you're retired now.. why dontcha offer to cook some homemade Chef Olive recipes for your fam?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
But why have tradition just for the sake of tradition?
Has anyone heard that story about the recipe for the holiday ham being handed down through the generations?
When asked why the young woman cut both ends off of her holiday ham, she didn't know why, only that mother and grandmother had always done so.
Turned out that back in the day, the pan wasn't big enough for the ham, so the ends got cut off!
hehehehehe

Pjjjj, I had to laugh because when my father in law asks why something is cooked or prepared in a certain way, we always say " cuz my mom did it that way"
We actually make mashed potatoes with a small dolop of mayonnaise added, because my hubbys grandmama did it that way. She was making mashed potatos one time, and granddaddy was trying to "help". He scooped up some mayonnaise and plopped it in the pot thinking that she was making potato salad. It stuck, and we've all made them that way since. LOL It's really good that way too!!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Hey, pjjjjj, just 'cause I'm retired it doesn't mean I can suddenly cook. Just what I need is a house full of guests puking all over the place. I can make a mean pot of chicken and noodles. Great with preparing Cheerios. Pbj sammies are also a specialty. I can order carry out with the best of them.

Last edited:

are12

Expert Expediter
Our Christmas dinner consists of the traditional turkey, ham and kielbasa, sweet potatoes (otherwise known as candied yams), mashed potatoes, cauliflower in white sauce, whatever other vegetable I feel like eating that day (usually corn or Brussels sprouts), cranberry sauce, pickles and black olives (a must have, as far as my father is concerned). Oh, and I can't forget the homemade horseradish, that my Mom taught Jim how to make. It is alway fun to watch him grating that on the front steps and then crying as he is trying to get it into the jar.:D:D

I do all the cooking and cleaning up but I look forward to doing it every year.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being a van driver; if I boil a hot dog Christmas Eve and save the water and if Santa puts some egg noodles in my stocking, then I can have the traditional Christmas dinner of wiener water soup.

Bon appetit!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I have been instructed to go the Honey Baked Ham store tomorrow (again ..... since I arrived there this evening exactly 1 minute after they closed ..... at 8 PM for pete's sake !) and retrieve a small Honey Baked Ham (..... hon, can ya elaborate on that a just bit ? ...... No ? ... ok, I didn't think so ....)

She went "grocery shopping" tonight ...... so I guess I'll find out in a couple of days what else we're having .... I'll be ok with it ..... provided she doesn't try to get too fancy with some sorta spaghetti squash thing ..... or worse ...... like say, the daughter-in-law's taco soup .......

Last night I was informed we were having potato soup for dinner - which is fine as I like potato soup .... the can of corn she threw in there didn't do a whole lot for me though :cool: (.... bleech ...)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Our traditional Christmas dinners have changed many times over the years as the family and extended families have grown and shrunk and moved in and out. Growing up as a kid we had Christmas out at the "family" farm where there might be anywhere from 40-70 people there. Back then we'd pit roast either a deer of a buffalo, as both were raised on the farm, and of course sugar cured and country ham, and there'd be a roast goose or two (which should please the Col) and/or some ducks or turkeys. There was also plenty of fried rabbit and squirrel to go around. Lots of casseroles and potatoes prepared in every way imaginable. Tons of vegetables, you name it. And the pies and cakes. Too many.

As time went on and the gatherings got smaller we moved to a simpler and more traditional Christmas with turkey or ham or both, although I still liked to toss a rabbit or two in the mix every now and then, 'cause, well, nothing says Christmas quite like fried rabbit. The obligatory green bean casserole with the canned mushroom soup and the French fried onions on top is a perennial favorite, as is that dessert thing with mini marshmallows and grapes and pineapple and coconut and and sour cream and whatever else they throw in there.

We've had the big Christmas breakfast and then basically a day long buffet where people picked this or that throughout the day and evening, whatever was being cooked or brought in at the time. A little bit of everything from Swedish meatballs to chinese food and Mexican (yeah, a taco bar) to burgers and whatever. The buffet is a popular theme anymore. We've also had the traditional burgers and hot dogs, as well as Cracker Barrel and Denny's.

This Christmas nothing major is planned. My mom's now gone and my stepdad will work on Christmas Day, my brother nor I will be there until sometime on Christmas Day itself. The big get-together this year will be on Sunday, where the plan is steaks and chops.

Mainly, it's the get-together more than what is eaten at it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
used to be turkey, oyster dressing, white potatoes and veggies and mushroom casserole..

new in laws do a fresh leg of pork with skin on and fat off. skin is very crisp, small new potatoes cooked in butter and carmelized sugar, hot red cabbage with red currant liquer in it, mediste pulste(danish sausage, white mashed and gravy, and sides.

christmas day rocks with a up to 7 courses starting with pickled herring and ends with cheese. lts of carlsberg and akavit in-between, during and before and after the meal. o'man it is pants unbuttoned time after that.

if i found myself in chicago and was a long way from home i would make for either unos/dues , lou malnati's or ginos east pizza(not that frozen cra* you get on turnpikes) for pizza or/and superdawg for the best, i mean the BEST, hot dog you can provide to your taste buds.

Lou Malnati's Pizzerias .::. Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza!

Uno Chicago Grill - Original Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, Flatbreads, Pasta, Steaks, Seafood, Burgers, Sandwiches, Salads, Soups

Welcome to Gino's East-Pizza

Superdawgdrive-in

ya'know, ribs are also a good meal. got a secret sauce and spices from the father in law. when he made ribs for gracie and me a couple years back we sent pix on the cell to the boys who were in illinois and got wimpers back.

this year it will be beef roast, green bean casserole, carrots and white bread rolls(ugh) baked brie appetizer(gotta put that in the cookbook) pumpkin pie. mom has not had a pie yet and did not want a cheese cake punkin' pie.

Last edited: