Chef Dennis's New CargoMax

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Talk to most anyone that will be honest and ask them how much their gas mileage went down with a RV rooftop unit...and you still need a generator to power it..i have $255 in the unit, brackets and wood....price the rooftop....

And it took me 9 minute to put it in and fire it up AFTER I had already done the required 1st install to measure and cut and get it all setup. Then I packed it all back up and did it again..getting the generator out putting the ac unit in the window and firing it up...LOL, The only reason i even timed it was to see how fast, cause OVM does his in something like 7 minutes...So its no hassle all....And it works and it is cold in here...i just turn the thermostat up to 70...my wife would be proud!!!:D

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We have a Carrier AirV 13,500 BTU rooftop air/heat unit which sticks up maybe 6". We didn't notice any change in before/after MPG. We still got 23.5 @ 62 mph coming across Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri yesterday. We don't miss the awkward squaredances with our old window shaker unit everytime we wanted to move around the cabin! It was always in the way, especially when it wasn't in the window, which was 90% of the time. But to each their own I suppose.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
We have a Carrier AirV 13,500 BTU rooftop air/heat unit which sticks up maybe 6". We didn't notice any change in before/after MPG. We still got 23.5 @ 62 mph coming across Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri yesterday. We don't miss the awkward squaredances with our old window shaker unit everytime we wanted to move around the cabin! It was always in the way, especially when it wasn't in the window, which was 90% of the time. But to each their own I suppose.

What size generator do you use and how long does it run on a tank of fuel?
Thanks

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talk to most anyone that will be honest and ask them how much their gas mileage went down with a RV rooftop unit...and you still need a generator to power it..i have $255 in the unit, brackets and wood....price the rooftop....

And it took me 9 minute to put it in and fire it up AFTER I had already done the required 1st install to measure and cut and get it all setup. Then I packed it all back up and did it again..getting the generator out putting the ac unit in the window and firing it up...LOL, The only reason i even timed it was to see how fast, cause OVM does his in something like 7 minutes...So its no hassle all....And it works and it is cold in here...i just turn the thermostat up to 70...my wife would be proud!!!:D
Hey great time!! Maybe we should have an AC install Olympics at the Expo? Winner gets a Jar of Pickles! and a signed copy of the famous OVM shorts!!! *LOL*

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
WAIT!!! Dang, I knew that silver end was suppose to face outside too!!!:eek:

As for the gas mileage and the rooftop units, i can't speak to the "low profile" uints...but the guys that have the ones that sit up there 10-12 inchs high and even the sales guy at camper world told me that the bigger units will cost you 2-3 mpg at hghway speeds...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We have a cheap Menards (probably China) 3100 watt generator (4000 surge) to run our AirV, along with the microwave, tv, computer, fridge, etc. It keeps up with all of it although I wouldn't try anything smaller for all this stuff. Depending on so many variables, we normally get 12-14 hours on the 3 gallon tank. In Texas under the hot sun @ 100+ degrees, it may be as little as 10 hours. All that said, we haven't had proper insulation in our van yet, that will make a big difference. We are improving that as we speak.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now last year I was in GA at an RV place the Polar Cub by Coleman 7K BTU listed for around $750 retail...and another $5-600 install....Now GA considers us RV's and they have to install up to state code...proper wiring, fuse box, the whole whack..and it included a shore power outlet cut into the side of the van...
BTW that is a low profile model about 6" high...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I bought our AirV new off ebay last year for $700 and put it in myself so, with shore power and drain, maybe $800. The generator was $299 and we made a trailer hitch swingaway mount to carry it and a gas can.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I know RLent has that low profile 12 volt powered AC unit on the roof of his Sprinter and he still does get good gas mileage, so yea i am sure the loss is with the bigger units...

I have often wondered how Steve's sprinters do with the big AC unit and those big Generator "wedges" up on the roof....

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would a 7k unit cool an entire van? Seems like a lot of space?
NOT during high noon in Laredo...no way...it might if your van was insulated to the hilt...

TIP: IF you are using them bubble foil type window shades...TRY on the OUTSIDE of the glass instead of the inside...held down from mirror to mirror or where ever works with bungee cord.....you'd be amazed...the glass will be cold to the touch...I dropped the inside temp almost 10 degrees...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If you have GREAT insulation 7,000 BTU probably can do a fair job everywhere but in the south Texas summer sun. I did say GREAT insulation. To be safe everywhere, I'd recommend a larger unit.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yeap the rear ROLLUP door only opens from the outside..dang...:rolleyes:

Yes you can order them with no side doors as a matter of fact, the side doors are an option at extra cost... and yes swingout doors on the rear are also available...its and either or option, no extra cost....

And you got me, it is built in Canada....and Sold my Chevrolet dealers here in te USA...Oh and it was over $18 grand cheaper in price the the 2010 UltraMaxx...Per the quote I got from UltraMax....but then again, it is a new 2009 also...:D

If I remember from what I saw of youre van, you have a Todco rear door/handle assembly.There is a version of that handle setup that does have an inside handle, allowing you to open the door from the inside.The Fed-Ex step vans have these.Pretty much the same thing you have, but with the handle on the inside as well.Carnegie Body on Brrokpark rd in Parma,Oh, has them, just down the road from the Chevy plant.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You can see the insulation I haveon the one wall in post above...foil, foam board...thats only on one wall right now and the roof has nothing.. The 10,000 btu unit will cool this down rel good, and even cycles out from time to time down here in laredo from 5 pm (after the sun starts to go down) out...from noon till sun down, its workin its tail off to just be comfortable,
and that is coolng the whole van...now once the rest ofthe van is insulated and the ceiling is in and the "curtain" between "my space" and the cargo area is up, then the 10,000 btu should do a really good job no matter where...but as with all of them, no matter what size...the hotter they get from the sun beating on them., the harder they have to work to cool...

Oh, on OVM's tip...A Lady down here has the windshield of there 12,000 ford cube van covered on the outside with white "Shelf Liner" material...the ladies will know what it is..bt for the rest of you...it is a "rubberized" matieral that is perferated with tiny holes in it and it "sticks" to the windsheild just enough so that it doesn't move around...she lays it out to cover the windshield and lays the wipers over it then uses 2 of those little 8 in stretch cords from the edge ot the material then opens the door and hooks the other end inside to the pillar post and closes the door...they can see out, no one can see in unless they put their face against the glass, it keeps the heat off the windshield and is cheap.....

Last edited: