Chef Dennis's New CargoMax

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can see the insulation I haveon the one wall in post above...foil, foam board...thats only on one wall right now and the roof has nothing.. The 10,000 btu unit will cool this down rel good, and even cycles out from time to time down here in laredo from 5 pm (after the sun starts to go down) out...from noon till sun down, its workin its tail off to just be comfortable,
and that is coolng the whole van...now once the rest ofthe van is insulated and the ceiling is in and the "curtain" between "my space" and the cargo area is up, then the 10,000 btu should do a really good job no matter where...but as with all of them, no matter what size...the hotter they get from the sun beating on them., the harder they have to work to cool...
Try the foil shade on the outside of the windshield yet?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Guido!! I'll check into that for sure...No Kenny I haven't but i will because i alread have one!! But go back and read what I added to that above post....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea I also have one of those 12,000 btu roll around units...it is sitting at home in the shed, where i put it when i emptied out the old van ....:rolleyes: I forgot it when I loaded up the new van...along with the extended range gas tank for the generator...they say the mind is the 1st thing to go...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I know RLent has that low profile 12 volt powered AC unit on the roof of his Sprinter and he still does get good gas mileage, so yea i am sure the loss is with the bigger units...

I have often wondered how Steve's sprinters do with the big AC unit and those big Generator "wedges" up on the roof....

Chef, in answer to your question, not as much as I expected. Averaged out at about 1 to 1 1/2 mpg. It seems that the slant of the sprinter nose and windshield carries the air over the a/c unit and hits the generator case at about the center. The nose of the case is slanted as well and actually creates a bit of downforce.

Scott doesn't want the generator unit, so I'm going to remove it and reconfigure it on one of the straights.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok i have done a bit more work to the interior, so i figured I'd post the pictures for those that weren't at the Expo and didn't see the van.

1 thing i had to do was insulate the roof and cover that translucent panel in my bunk/personal space because in the high heat areas we frequent, this thing gets like a greenhouse to say the least..

So I used the reflexic bubble foil, foam board and luann plywood and then covered that and the sidewalls with indoor outdoor carpeting...I also insstalled the TV/dvd combo and move the 2 LED lights around so that they lit up the bunk area, and I also installed a switch so they can be turned on up ft instead of just at the read cargo door..oh and i also tore out the cargo floor and installed a new one with a 3rd row of e-track down the middle

So here are the new pictures:

Attachments

• IM000337.jpg
    IM000337.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IM000338.jpg
    IM000338.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IM000362.jpg
    IM000362.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IM000361.jpg
    IM000361.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IM000360.jpg
    IM000360.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IM000298.jpg
    IM000298.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IM000291.jpg
    IM000291.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You are probably right!! But to be honest, other then my cell phone, I don't even own a video recorder...:rolleyes:

LOL, our family and friends never had to worry about goin over and gettin tuck watchin "movies" of the kids as the kids grew up...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Just personal preference Mike...my other CV is sit up the same way....But this van also has 2 rows of the "L" track on the walls also....

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Same here, I have one in the middle as well, If I have one or two pallets I just use one strap instead of two, it's just faster. Unless it's really heavy then I strap with two

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
chefdennis, why did you add the third piece of E-Track in the center of the floor?

Cause he saw it in my Sprinter and wanted to copy me. In all honesty, the middle row of Etrack provides more anchor points. It also comes in handy when securing 55 gal drums.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Enemy wrote:

Cause he saw it in my Sprinter and wanted to copy me. In all honesty, the middle row of Etrack provides more anchor points. It also comes in handy when securing 55 gal drums.

LOL, when i out the 1st floor in the new van, I didn't have order enough e-track to do the center row, so i changed it later...and yes it is alot easier to secure 55 gallon drums.....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
A few updates have been made to the Cargo Max...The "curtain" of removeable wall/seperator that i was waiting to have made is up. I talked about that early on, just took a long time to have made for reasons beyond my control. Originally it was going to be made of 2 pieces of sailbout "sail" material with "reflextic" foil/bubble insulation sewn between them. Well when the lady finally got around to making it, she felt that that material (dycron, i think) was to stiff and she came up with the idea of using a rubberized material that they use to make "Cold water rubber boats/rafts", for you bout people, think "Metzeler" rubber boats, it is the same material they use to make them in germany). That wall is now up and attached to the van so that it can be put up and taken down when i need to. It is mounted usind 2 inch wide HD Velcro and canvas snaps.

I also finally got the nerve to cut the hole in the roof of the van...and installed the Maxx Air roof vent / fan.

So here are some added pictures to show those changes in this "ongoing project"...

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 159
  • max vent  fan 001.jpg
    max vent fan 001.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 129
  • max vent  fan 002.jpg
    max vent fan 002.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 124
  • max vent  fan 003.jpg
    max vent fan 003.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 133
  • max vent  fan 004.jpg
    max vent fan 004.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 126
  • max vent  fan 005.jpg
    max vent fan 005.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
No pics?

Did you measure the thickness of the fiberglass in the roof? I'm pretty reluctant to cut a hole up there myself, but the dealer where I got mine told me they have even been mounting reefer units up there. I would still like to have a rooftop a/c.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The internet connection here in Franklin Ky at the "J" is terrible..the pictures are up now.

The roof is 5/16 thick and strong enough to hold a roof topAC unit if you wanted to with a few braces, but the Max Air vent / fan was no issue at all..i was sitting up there and there was no issue at all.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Looks good. I may end up using a portable a/c too. If so I like the idea of having it set up like your planning to have yours. With a second fan installed behind your curtain, above the cargo area, you could run the a/c exhaust up to the vent and exhaust it there.

The Maxx is startin to look pretty nice inside!