Chef Dennis's New CargoMax

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok since the "curtain" has been up, I have had to eithertake it down or roll it up 4-5 times. Here are a couple of pictures. These skids were 54 inches long, and i didn't have to fold the bed up.

Attachments

• 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 63.jpg
    63.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

vanman10

Expert Expediter
Your CargoMax and all you have done to it is terrific. This post gave me many great ideas on upgrades and changes to my CV. Great job and thanks for the post.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Vanman, and yes everything I have done to the Cargo Max can be done and improved upon for any kind of CV, Sprinter, or cube....Glad to be a help...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Do customers ever say anything about having two propane containers in the back? I am assuming those are for heating the inside?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do customers ever say anything about having two propane containers in the back? I am assuming those are for heating the inside?

When I had them Dave...no one ever mentioned them unless they asked what they were for and I told them...none seemed to have a problem....
when I go to packaging plant or food plant I covered up the tanks and the generator and gas can... FDA rules...not allowed with the cargo...some shippers will not load you...or refuse the load....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When I had them Dave...no one ever mentioned them unless they asked what they were for and I told them...none seemed to have a problem....
when I go to packaging plant or food plant I covered up the tanks and the generator and gas can... FDA rules...not allowed with the cargo...some shippers will not load you...or refuse the load....

What do you cover them with? I know many places we go that propane canisters would be a big no-no.
Wasn't aware people were carting those around.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you cover them with? I know many places we go that propane canisters would be a big no-no.
Wasn't aware people were carting those around.

Moving blanket...or hang a blanket in the front and obscure their view...
One shipper seen the generator and against rules loaded me...but instructed me to cover it better because they refuse the load if the consignee sees it...this is where a solid bulkhead comes in handy..if your carrier does food loads like Kelloggs...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There will be some that claim they've never had a problem with it....they were lucky....all it takes is once and that carrier could lose a good customer...and you'll be whinning about lack of loads...
The food industry is a constant...no matter the economy people have to eat...they carry expedite thru the slow times....lose those customers...game over

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As OVM said, I have not had an issue in almost 5 yrs, but I do move them to "my" side of the curtain or cover them if I am hauling "food" product....as i also do the generator, and i too use a moving blanket...But again, they have never been an issue...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is kind of ironic you can be penalized at a dog food processing plant for having a dog in the van...LOL

dog food comes under the FDA same rules as people...

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
I sat and looked at this van for almost 2 days in Laredo in lat Jan of 2012. It is AWSOME. It is huge, stylish and can be customized to almost anything u want it to be. This is my inspiration to get out of my Ford E-250. Nice job dude.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I sat and looked at this van for almost 2 days in Laredo in lat Jan of 2012. It is AWSOME. It is huge, stylish and can be customized to almost anything u want it to be. This is my inspiration to get out of my Ford E-250. Nice job dude.

My boyfriend and I also had the honor while in Laredo. It is the 8th wonder of the world.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have two C/Vans that used to have propane heaters. Now they both are equipped with Eden Pure electric heaters. I paid $300 apiece for them (discount price since I also have them in my house) they use very little energy to run them and maintain an even heat. They will not warm up fast, takes time to get the temp up but now my drivers just leave them on and they heat the vans w/out any problem. The vans have buffer batteries with 5,000 watt inverters also using 1ga cable for main wiring. Got the idea for the batteries from Chef's truck at the show and the large cables never get hot and transfer electricity easier and faster. Got most of the wiring diagrams or ideas from Turtle's post last year, but the large tinned marine cables are what I use.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
swingout.jpgswingout 1.jpgswingout 2.jpgswingout 3.jpgswingout 4.jpgswingout 5.jpgswingout 6.jpgFinally got tired of getting the generator out of the truck each time i needed to use it, so it was time to build a swingout carrier to mount the generator on. It was built from 4 resse trail hitch parts and a misc material that was welded together the make the platform.

1st thing I did was use a "eletric cutoff tool" to remove the rt rear bumper extention. then we welded a 6 inch trailer hitch reciever tube to the underside of the bumper at the bumper mounting bracket where it bolts to the truck frame. Then "hitch pin with a 6 inch rise/drop was installed in the "rise" postition. Using the hole where the "ball" would normally bolt on, I used a 1"x5" bolt with 3 bearing sets and a 36" "Combo bar"..this is a 36" long trailer hitch reciever tube that is used to custom fabricate a hitch. That made up the swingout arm...we also used a 5" "clevis pin" to keep the arm locked closed, by running it up from under the grated step bumper thru the combo bar using the hole that would normally be used to keep the hitch pin in place into the combo bar. The hole for the 1" bolt had to be drilled in the bar.

To the swingout are, we fabricated an "shelf" out of misc metal. That was welded to the swingout arm....The generator is mounted on the platform using small 500 lb straps and a masterlock cable and lock. I will pickup a cover for it later today.

Here are a few pictures of the setup:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Good job Chef! Ive seen a few of the swing outs since Ive been on the road. They look pretty handy to me.

One guy that I talked to about mine told me that you can buy a fuel filler neck for the chevy vans that has a pickup tube built into it for a generator. He said to check the RV suppliers for it. Let me know if and where ya find one....I havent looked yet.