Carrier cutting rates

guido4475

Not a Member
So if they are going to cut rates as said here, I wonder if they are going to:

hold drivers leased to that company to their equipment age rule, if there is one in place?

I just wonder how this may affect the average Sprinter owner as well from properly maintaining their vehicle, and keep up with the payments as well? Just wondering.

I wonder how this may affect drivers and/or fleet owners as well?

My assessment of this business is that there are too many hens in the hen house, too many hands in the cookie jar. Meaning, there are way too many companies and drivers getting into, or in this business, and there is only so small you can slice a pie before we all starve.

Not to sound negative, but I really think the expediting business is on a slow decline, and only the strong and financially stable will survive.When it stabilizes, only a fraction of drivers and companies will be around, IMO..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So if they are going to cut rates as said here, I wonder if they are going to:

hold drivers leased to that company to their equipment age rule, if there is one in place?

I just wonder how this may affect the average Sprinter owner as well from properly maintaining their vehicle, and keep up with the payments as well? Just wondering.

I wonder how this may affect drivers and/or fleet owners as well?

My assessment of this business is that there are too many hens in the hen house, too many hands in the cookie jar. Meaning, there are way too many companies and drivers getting into, or in this business, and there is only so small you can slice a pie before we all starve.

Not to sound negative, but I really think the expediting business is on a slow decline, and only the strong and financially stable will survive.When it stabilizes, only a fraction of drivers and companies will be around, IMO..

I have no doubt they will have drivers. There is always someone waiting in the wings. I hate to say it but it is true we are all replaceable.

E1 is a public company and answering to share holders is more important than answering to drivers.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I didn't pay attention to the straight truck rates during the conference call yesterday, but it was NOT my impression they were cutting ANY rates. I can tell you for certain they are increasing the base Sprinter rate by $0.10 a mile PLUS paying all deadhead miles @ $0.35 a mile PLUS adding a small short haul (less than 300 miles) bonus. It's still short of one or two other carriers but obviously a couple of steps in the right direction. I'll say again, I don't think Express-1 is cutting ANY rates.

We are with Express-1 currently and did hear it all from the brass yesterday firsthand. Just the facts please!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I was wrong. Just confirmed. Base Sprinter rate increased $0.10 to $0.80. $1.00 a mile rate for over 2,000 lbs. is gone. Looks like we're leaving Express-1.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It probably has something to do with the sequester. Well maybe not, but hey it's only $0.12 give the guy a chance, after all our costs have been reasonably stable over the last ten years or so.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did a little load yesterday. Compared old rate with new rate. On the new rate it was $25.00 less. And yes, that included my 8.05 dead head pay.......

It's one thing to lube it up, then roll it in sand..... and Then roll it in broken glass, Brace for impact!

70 c/v
80 Sprinter
1.10 S/T solo
1.12 S/T team

After that I didn't hear the T/T rates.....

If we got 100% FSC I could live with it.

It's like when I plant the lot with pennies, hopping they grow into dollars, just to have someone come along and pick up your pennies!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
E1 is a public company and answering to share holders is more important than answering to drivers.

Funny you should mention that. E-1 is not acting like a healthy company to me. You don't go around making great returns, only to cut your workforce's throat the next year.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny you should mention that. E-1 is not acting like a healthy company to me. You don't go around making great returns, only to cut your workforce's throat the next year.

This is the all too common approach in corporate America. The bean-counters rule the roost, and as far as they are concerned labor and machines are one-in-the same. Just numbers on a spreadsheet. Commodities that are readily available and easily replaced.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
In two years the E1 component wont even get an asterisk on their financial statement, much like the Fed-ex statement.