Carrier Appearal Question; Removing Old Logos

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regular readers know that Diane and I moved our truck lease from FedEx Custom Critical to Landstar Express America in late June. No longer needing them and not feeling it appropriate to wear them any more, our FedEx shirts went into the dumpster. We would have happily given them to the first FedEx CC contractor who wanted them but there were none around at the time and keeping them in the truck was not an option.

The great FedEx jackets (windbreakers and parkas) are a different story. They are perfect for the weather we get into and the work we do. They are built to last. We'd hate to throw those away too.

Landstar has nothing similar that we have found. The problem is obvious. It would be just a bit inappropriate to show up at a customer's dock in a Landstar truck and approach him or her while wearing FedEx jackets.

We are not the first people to leave FedEx. Does anyone know how to remove the reflective FedEx logos (iron-on? screen-printed?) off the jackets? Those logos seem to be as well attached to the jackets as the jackets are well made.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Would a laundry service be able to give advice on this one?
You know me, I'm thinking cover it with pink and purple swirls of fabric paint. :p

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does anyone know how to remove the reflective FedEx logos (iron-on? screen-printed?) off the jackets? Those logos seem to be as well attached to the jackets as the jackets are well made.

If the logo is just an emblem, then a hot iron will losen the glue, but it may leave residue behind. Screen printed can not be removed.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Would a laundry service be able to give advice on this one?
You know me, I'm thinking cover it with pink and purple swirls of fabric paint. :p

That's not a bad idea, it will be like a cover up tattoo of a girl's name you broke up with. I would think you could find a bigger patch of a design you like or even one of those embroidery places in a Petro could do it for you.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
call around to any embroidery shop they should have a tool called a stitch eraser.May cost a few buck to have them do it but from the sounds of it worth the money. hope it helps:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know how to remove the reflective FedEx logos specifically, but if they are iron-ons you can turn the garment inside out, lay down a rag or old t-shirt, and iron the back side of the patch (may be a problem with a jacket) and the heat will let it go. Use a good glue residue dissolver to remove any leftover glue. If the garment is polyester or a blend, many times those patches are applied intentionally with enough heat to slightly melt the polyester to "fuse" the garment and the patch together.

The most viable option if the heat of an iron won't remove it is overprinting using heat seals with another logo or something, or oversewing another patch.

"... and keeping them in the truck was not an option."

The Landstar Clothing Police?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you could make your own logo
so you could cover up fedex logo
cost you at sport shop $90.00 for design of logo and so much
for patch on the jacket etc and they could blend it in so you couldn't tell it was a fedex jacket

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I solved the problem [a nice warm jacket I didn't want to give up because it's not too bulky] by sewing a patch [the 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' monkeys] over the old company name, but not sure how big a logo you're dealing with. :confused:

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I think geo has it right. The fedx logo is pretty well intergrated into the jacket. A patch with a landstar logo could be sewn over the exsisting logo. Any embroidery shop could do this...they will need a hi res copy of the ls logo to scan.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

turritrans

Expert Expediter
A heatgun works the best for the decals. Like an iron but much faster.

A good product to remove the glue is called Goof Off after decals are pealed off

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Have a big red circle with a diagonal slash embroidered over it.
Or better still, if it is a XXL mail it to me. I'll pay for the USPS Flat Rate box.:)

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
This morning I seen an Express Way driver with an E1 shirt on and he still had the E1 logo on the back of his sprinter with the EW logo on the side. He hadn't worked for E1 for a year he said.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
"... and keeping them in the truck was not an option."

The Landstar Clothing Police?

No. It simply made no sense to forfiet the space they took for no good reason. We had been running with Landstar for a month and had hardly seen a FedEx contractor in that time, let alone one parked nearby. We just got tired of toting the shirts around so into the trash they went.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't know about the iron on patch, but the screen print why not just screen over the name\logo with the same color as the jacket?.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Landstar has some nice apparel you need to look at the Lcapp website. Last long enough and they give you some nice shirts. Also at BCO days you can buy a ton of logo apparrel.

I think you got something fruedian going on there Ateam, listing yourself in your caption as with the Fed for 8 years. Got a little separation anxiety goin on? Can't go cold turkey? :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Landstar has some nice apparel you need to look at the Lcapp website. Last long enough and they give you some nice shirts. Also at BCO days you can buy a ton of logo apparrel.

I think you got something fruedian going on there Ateam, listing yourself in your caption as with the Fed for 8 years. Got a little separation anxiety goin on? Can't go cold turkey? :)

We have been all throught the company store web site, and even visited the company store at Jacksonville when we were there, and purchased some shirts that now function as our company uniform at pick ups and deliveries (Landstar has no official uniform but we like the professional look a uniform presents to the customers we serve). Sadly, Landstar has nothing that even comes close to the wonderful jackets and parkas FedEx has. Thus our dilema.

We'll try the suggestions made above about logo removal. If that fails, we'll see what jackets and parkas we can find at uniform stores or industiral clothing stores.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a little different, I know, but I still wear a Con-Way NOW polo shirt now and again. My shower/gym bag also has the Con-Way NOW logo on it.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Well I can tell you we are not uniform people here at landstar. Landstar sells its brand thru service, not uniform appearance. Clean and personable gets the job done. I personally always got a giggle at the fuel isle when the matching hubbie teams climbed out of the Fed truck.

I represent myself as myself not as some brand identity. I will wear the free hats though if they look good. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well I can tell you we are not uniform people here at landstar. Landstar sells its brand thru service, not uniform appearance. Clean and personable gets the job done. I personally always got a giggle at the fuel isle when the matching hubbie teams climbed out of the Fed truck.

I represent myself as myself not as some brand identity. I will wear the free hats though if they look good. :)

No one I have yet met at Landstar wears a uniform so what you say is true, "we are not uniform people here at landstar."

Nevertheless, Diane and I are uniform people. We believe in them and what they do for us as we represent ourselves, the company and agents we serve. You have to wear something when interacting with customers, so why not a uniform? At least that's how we figure it.

It did not slow us down a bit when we learned that there is no Landstar uniform. We created one using black khaki slacks, black steel toe shoes and red Landstar polo shirts purchased from the company store.

Regarding selling the brand through service, we do that too.

Last edited: