Carrier Appearal Question; Removing Old Logos

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dock workers are dock workers. Yes, there is a need to be friendly with them and I am. I do not wear uniforms and as far as I know my company doesn't have any available, but that's not to say I don't see a benefit. As far as who they impress? I'm not too concerned about impressing the dock workers. They load the freight, they don't book it. When the shipping manager shows up, that's when your appearance, attitude and professionalism will help...or hurt you..IMO.

Because sometimes there are more than just dock workers on the dock, don't know how many times I've had a pickup or delivery and the guy signing my paperwork is the owner of the company.
I've seen truck drivers in sleep bottoms and a wife beater shirt, with flip flops I wear those around the house but never when I am doing business.:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Henry Albert works in a different world, read the write up when he became "trucker of the year".

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think in many ways until you can represent and act as sales people at the same time with either a commission or getting more work, the idea of being in uniform and representing part of the company culture is misplaced.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Bruno, Dakota. To clarify, that was my point. There could be much more important eyes than the dock worker's watching you.

I've been caught off-guard a couple of times now. So, I guess I should do a flip on what I said about dock workers. You never know when that "dock worker" may be a shipping manager...or as I have encountered a couple of times, the carrier rep who we booked the freight from. He had showed up to make sure everything went well (they were a very important customer to him). Attitude and appearance make a difference. You just can't take any pickup or delivery for granted.

You have to remember that we are doing expedited freight and someone is paying through the nose for no more freight than their putting on our trucks. They expect a professional. The uniforms, I believe, are a benefit.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got to tell you from what I've seen it doesn't seem to matter much what you wear, you could come in like Liberace and perform amazing feats loading the truck but the person who picks a carrier to take that freight is more concern with the bottom line than appearances.

THIS is especially true with automotive freight.

WHY?

Because a lot of freight these carriers get is derived from one of two things - the brand (FedEx) or the cost.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I picked up a load for VW and this shipper must be new to their system...VW reps were there 3 of them...instructing how skids were to be stacked and so forth...then loaded unto my van and strapped down...and made secure...I am quite sure I made their report to the higher ups to evaluate the procedure...I am quite sure a shoddy looking, dirty van, uncoopertive driver would have stood out on that report...glad I was in top shape that day.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Henry Albert works in a different world, read the write up when he became "trucker of the year".

You are right Greg Henry does live in another world, one he created through hard work and constantly raising his bar of excellence he wants to reach.

How do you think he became Trucker of the Year?

He is a professional in his appearance, his trucks appearance, and his demeanour. He got it by being involved and not JUST picking up freight and delivering it.

We have always believed in uniforms and even while being a driver for US Xpress we had our own t-shirts with the US Xpress on them. We did this for ourselves as well as the company. We take a lot of pride in what we do and how we do it.

When we started with FedEx as soon as possible we ordered uniforms and saw a difference in how we were treated from before uniform to after uniform.

Now that we have went another step we again are seeing a different level of respect from our customers as well as our customer. First impressions are very important and we never know when that first impression will benefit us or our company.

When we are in our business clothes we carry ourselves different and we act as business professionals. When people drive by our truck they see a nice dressed driver. When we are on our free time over the weekends we wear our jeans and t-shirts as we are usually working and cleaning on our truck.

I believe everything Henry has done to make himself visible has benefited himself in many ways. He could have dressed and acted like many flatbedders do and guess what he would have still been there, now look at what all he is doing. He worked hard to get where he is and he is still working hard and enjoying the benefits.

Here is one of his blogs on how he got started he has not been handed anything he has not worked for:
On the Road with Henry Albert

Being lucky does not enter into the equation we are what we make of ourselves and it is not due to luck.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Even within Landstar Scott Kinley was featured in the TA magazine as well as the Landstar magazine for wearing a Landstar shirt as well as a tie. It is recognized for what it is going the extra mile to make a good impression and take pride in a job well done.

Scott Kinley | RoadKing.com

fastrod

Expert Expediter

I just pulled that up and read it. Some interesting comments include "Its not a career, its a lifestyle attitude is just an excuse for not running a profitable operation" and striking the term backhauls from his vocabulary. One should also note that Mr. Albert achieved this not only thru hard work but by also running under his own authority with his own customers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
God what a defensive position some of you take.

I am not saying you can't take pride in yourself or work, that's not it at all.

Henry is in a different world, his operation is something a bit different than that of most of ours. He doesn't work like we do, he doesn't drive like we do and the sales he makes directly benefits him - so he is not like most of us.

His hard work worked for him, some of the things may work for us but overall it is a different world.

Most of you do not get a commission when you land a new customer, and in many cases when you present yourself as a sales person, you may be stepping on toes that will ruin a relationship and the company does not want you to do that. This is because a lot of companies look at you as a dumb child incapable of understanding the complexity of their work. BUT it does not mean you can't give great performance and look great.

When you benefit DIRECTLY from your performance with all of your work, then OK you are like him but when you are sitting for 24 to 38 hours and the company is NOT looking for work for you but waits for it to come - you are not like him.

THIS does not include some of you who are stars within your fleet but most of the common people who just get a truck/van and sign up to make some cash a uniform is an added feature but not a requirement because the company does not really care - if they did it would be a requirement. They set their level low because of the types of people they expect to attract for their fleet and it seems uniforms are not part of the image.

Most of the automotive freight that seems to happen here goes through NLM, a place where it seems like they pay CHEAP, so they pay for what they get. I have talked with, spent lunch and dinner with and worked with many of the people who put the freight on NLM and they do not give a crap what anyone looks like when they pull up in their van/truck. They care it gets there within the time that they want it there and without a hitch and cheaply. There are exceptions, like GM who has special freight that has to be handled a specific way and they pay for that. VW sounds like the same way and Mercedes has had a few loads that required a special group of people to load.

Overall my point is the uniform does not make a professional or makes someone appear professional but has to have the person inside to be professional and know their place at times. Being professional can be debated too but overall appearances take a backseat in this business more often than not.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you purchase a uniform with a company name/logo it is tax deductible.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I am not saying you can't take pride in yourself or work, that's not it at all.

BUT it does not mean you can't give great performance and look great.

THIS does not include some of you who are stars within your fleet

In order to become what you call stars, these drivers have stepped up, not just done enough to get by. They have chosen to put themselves out there. I'm certain that if the customer has had a problem with other drivers from the same carrier the 'stars' hear about it.
but most of the common people who just get a truck/van and sign up to make some cash a uniform is an added feature but not a requirement because the company does not really care - if they did it would be a requirement. They set their level low because of the types of people they expect to attract for their fleet and it seems uniforms are not part of the image.

Overall my point is the uniform does not make a professional or makes someone appear professional but has to have the person inside to be professional and know their place at times. Being professional can be debated too but overall appearances take a backseat in this business more often than not.
I know that you've said several times in the past that appearance doesn't make a difference, mostly when talking about trucks. To me, the appearance of the truck and drivers go hand in hand. When I read Ateams description of their new look, I thought how appropriate. Just like TeamCaffee, they match their truck.

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
Re: Carrier Appearal Question;

I would go to Transportation - Trucking Logistics Company - Third Party Logistics. On the right side about half way down the page says company store. They sell many items. If you cant find what you are looking for,I'm sure you could special order something,or have a tshirt or graphic shop make something for you. Also some Petros have a embroidery shop. There is one at the Petro 2 Fremont In off I 69 or Petro I 75 between Findley and Toledo

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Does it have to be the company you drive for?

I seen a driver with his former carrier's logo on his tshirt last week. He was too cheap to throw it away and didn't mind advertising for them even though they paid ****ty according to him.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since we have done both, I think it may benefit in some applications, and others it doesn't.
I also agree there are some that are implying that if you don't have a uniform, then you must be wearing sandals, sweats, and a shirt with yesterdays dinner on it.

I think presentable and professional is the way to go. Some high dollar hauls need that appearance while others it isn't necessary. Carriers that just look at numbers, have a revolving dispatcher door will see little value in what your appearance is.
If it did matter, then they would address it.
Rates have little to do with it either. Cattle haulers make close to four a mile but never seen a driver with a tie.