Cargo vans/Sprinters not welcome at Flying J in Houston

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Uhm, and a better place to park would be......?

There is a Walmart at the interchange of 26/20 first exit south Bush Rd...van friendly and store is open 24 hrs....

Actually Guido said last time down there they had towed all the cars and weren't allowing any commuters park....kinda cleaned it up...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have all WalMart stores programed on my Garmin. I delivered in Downers Grove early Sunday morning and did a search for WalMarts in the area. Every nearby WalMart that was listed showed NOP. I had never seen that before. I googled "WalMart NOP" and found out it means NO OVERNIGHT PARKING. Learn something new every day. I moved on.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Moot: you can save the memory in the Garmin for important stuff [like BBQ restaurants & Swedish pizza joints], the search bar works for finding the nearest Wallyworld. When I touch search on mine, it suggests WM & Meijers & Pilot, automatically, lol. :D

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dont know if anybody said it yet but its common knowlege that most rent a cops were weaklings in school are usless in the workforce, or they are schooled in Barney Fife wanabee crime stopper. When they get a position that pays minimum wage and has an illusion of authority thier insecurity show through.

Bob Wolf.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
I can understand that, to a point. Though if I have a choice between a clean white unmarked van that has obviously been well taken care of (no matter the age) and an ill-kept banged up, but lettered vehicle, I will go with the clean unmarked one every time.

Just having markings does not a professional make.

Don't get me going in this entire area.
Anytime you do not have lettering on your van, you are in clear violation of DOT regulations.
Also this does nothing for the professionalism of our industry.

I'm pretty sure that J Elliott or Lawrence can clarify this even more, if I am correct please let me know.

Joe
Working with a well marked sprinter

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Moot: you can save the memory in the Garmin for important stuff [like BBQ restaurants & Swedish pizza joints], the search bar works for finding the nearest Wallyworld. When I touch search on mine, it suggests WM & Meijers & Pilot, automatically, lol. :D

Wow... never got high before having a joint with someone Swedish, while eating pizza. Did you listen to Pink Floyd while doing that, or Abba?

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Don't get me going in this entire area.
Anytime you do not have lettering on your van, you are in clear violation of DOT regulations.
Also this does nothing for the professionalism of our industry.

I'm pretty sure that J Elliott or Lawrence can clarify this even more, if I am correct please let me know.

Joe
Working with a well marked sprinter

Any vehicle 10,000 lbs and under is not required to have any markings. As far as professionalism goes take a good look at some of the junk vans cruising the highways with 5 star carrier stickers plastered on them.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Any vehicle 10,000 lbs and under is not required to have any markings. As far as professionalism goes take a good look at some of the junk vans cruising the highways with 5 star carrier stickers plastered on them.

Can't say much for your van fast rod

Lol

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Can't say much for your van fast rod

Lol

No you can't but I can. It's an old Dodge window van that was cheap to buy, cheap to insure, very dependable and make me a lot of money. It doesn't have any markings on it and none of my customers care that there are no markings on it. There main concern is that their freight is hauled safely and delivered on time, something my old Dodge van and I do quite well. Can't say much for your sprinter thou.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No you can't but I can. It's an old Dodge window van that was cheap to buy, cheap to insure, very dependable and make me a lot of money. It doesn't have any markings on it and none of my customers care that there are no markings on it. There main concern is that their freight is hauled safely and delivered on time, something my old Dodge van and I do quite well. Can't say much for your sprinter thou.

I still have my old Dodge van sitting on the farm over 500K when I retired it...I start it once and awhile and it roars back to life...ole dependable is right!! JuJu and I made our first 1/2 $million$ dollars with that thang!!

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I still have my old Dodge van sitting on the farm over 500K when I retired it...I start it once and awhile and it roars back to life...ole dependable is right!! JuJu and I made our first 1/2 $million$ dollars with that thang!!

I got two Dodge vans. The first one I bought was a 2000 and I liked it so much I bought a 2001 to replace it. The 2000 is now a backup just in case I need one.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I just called Pilot/J customer service, (877-866-7378) and spoke with a lady named Sam.

She transfered me to Jeff Houston, the regional manager, he stated firmly there is NO restriction for van's parking. If such an action took place it was an overzealous security officer.

He is going to call the store and confirm the above and give me an update.

rlodonnell if you would care to pm me your contact information, he would love to speak with you and get more information.

Let us remember how to use the phone 1st b 4 we panic all the vanners..............

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter

You go ahead and think that way.
Just ask the owner of any company (ie: Bolt Express,Load One, TST, Express 1 etc.) why on the sprinters with 8500 pounds (loaded) why they have to have the D.O.T. number on them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just ask the owner of any company (ie: Bolt Express,Load One, TST, Express 1 etc.) why on the sprinters with 8500 pounds (loaded) why they have to have the D.O.T. number on them.

why not ask Prestige and smaller carriers why they do not have them numbers on cargo vans?

Usually on a CV/sprinter cube under 10K if the carrier runs straights and tractors...it is purely for uniformity in the decaling....all trucks look the same...AND some vans might do Hazmat, then numbers are law......ask Joe the plumber where his numbers are?...hmmmmm

or Mike the plumber...LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's certainly not because the DOT requires it. The DOT only requires DOT numbers on Commercial Motor Vehicles, of which Sprinters are not.

Your statement of, "Anytime you do not have lettering on your van, you are in clear violation of DOT regulations," is simply not true at all. DOT regulations only apply to Commercial Motor Vehicles.