Cargo vans/Sprinters not welcome at Flying J in Houston

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to some expense to have magnetic signs made. The outfit I drive for didn't offer signs for vans, but I was able to get the information I needed to get a pair of signs made. It does make it a bit more professional, and I know of at least one town around here where the police stop unmarked vans in the industrial section to check them. If you're hauling freight and carrying no signs.....

Of course, if you're empty and those same police stop you, there's not a lot they can do. Maybe a paper check and that's about it.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I've talked to one carrier that said it would be fine if I made my own magnetic sheet cutouts to fit their decals, as long as I was identified when under load. That's the only way I will mark my vehicle. I use it for far too many personal things--it is my daily driver after all--like vancamping in the Nat'l parks, etc. Can't drive a lettered vehicle on some parkways, in some parks, etc.

Something that I have come up against more than once, as well, is that some neighborhoods and businesses (DC area around foreign Embassies comes to mind) will not allow lettered vehicles in their parking lots or driveways. I have family who live in neighborhoods like that, which, if lettered, I would have to park a good ways away if I wanted to visit. No work trucks allowed. Unlettered, just fine.

I have never been stopped in any unmarked van I've owned, honestly, but was stopped in a former express van I once had that was still lettered. Questioned as to why I was out of my area, made to open the back, show my reg, etc.

In my long experience with white work vans going back well over a decade, both lettered and unlettered, and traveling the entire United States in them for most all of that period, I have always been considered professional, polite, and of no threat. Other than the one time in a lettered van.

Additionally, I have been in neighborhoods across the country, and parked in hotel lots and repair lots, that I was told lettered vehicles are targeted for theft far more than unlettered, because of the possible contents.

I know building contractors and carpenters who do not letter their vehicles for just that reason. I also know contractors with lettered vans who have lost thousands of dollars worth of tools and client's property to break ins.

For those reasons, and that it has been far more convenient and practical, not to mention more multi-purpose, I prefer to not have my van marked.

Saying things like how does one know if it is an expediter or a child abductor, even if in jest, only serves to perpetuate a wrongful myth.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's been a while since I drove a white van. Since 2008, the colors were a kind of maroon (the Sprinter) and this grey Chevy I drive now. Magnetic signs are the best where vans are concerned, especially if you have to use it for a multi-purpose vehicle. The signs come off and are stowed in half a heartbeat, then you can use the van for shopping, visiting relatives, going to church and so on.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Lettered or unlettered shouldn't make a difference, yet to most of the general public it absolutely does, even to their detriment in some cases. An unlettered windowless van is an unknown, and people have a natural fear of the unknown. An unlettered van states 'beware until you know more about it'. But a lettered van states specific intent, that you're out here for a specific purpose, and it's a non-threatening purpose. You can be all kinds of professional, but if no one knows about it, they're going to be wary until they do know.

By the same token, rapists and abductors can certainly buy lettering to fool anybody, which is what I meant by the "to their detriment in some cases".

But make no mistake, rightly or wrongly, unlettered vans do not have the same public perception that lettered vans do.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An unlettered windowless van is an unknown, and people have a natural fear of the unknown. An unlettered van states 'beware until you know more about it'. But a lettered van states specific intent, that you're out here for a specific purpose, and it's a non-threatening purpose. You can be all kinds of professional, but if no one knows about it, they're going to be wary until they do know.

Excellent point! In most domains, how you are treated is not about what's right or fair, it's about how you are perceived. If you accept that fact and present yourself well, you will generally be treated better than if you don't.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I believe when I letter my van, I will do it like this, so the mis-percieving public has no misconceptions as to my intent:

ratrod700.jpg

Lettered or unlettered shouldn't make a difference, yet to most of the general public it absolutely does, even to their detriment in some cases. An unlettered windowless van is an unknown, and people have a natural fear of the unknown. An unlettered van states 'beware until you know more about it'. But a lettered van states specific intent, that you're out here for a specific purpose, and it's a non-threatening purpose. You can be all kinds of professional, but if no one knows about it, they're going to be wary until they do know.

By the same token, rapists and abductors can certainly buy lettering to fool anybody, which is what I meant by the "to their detriment in some cases".

But make no mistake, rightly or wrongly, unlettered vans do not have the same public perception that lettered vans do.

rlodonnell

Active Expediter
Sorry to be so long in answering your question Xiggi; just now logged in for the first time today. My van displays magnetic signs for On-Dekk. At one time I was working with more than one carrier so I needed to be able to remove the On-Dekk signs when I was under a load for the other guys. Also my van is a silver Sprinter.

Notanewbie I pm'd you my contact info. Thanks for asking.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks rl.

I do not disagree with anyone's arguments for not having a lettered van. There is times i wish mine did not have them. I do however believe that it is a very valid fact that when comparing equal vehicles the one with professional permanent lettering will be perceived in a better light than those without.

I have to disagree that it is any companies duty to attempt to increase the perception of the unmarked van.

I understand there are exceptions such as where your home is etc. But those are not the average drivers situation.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do have to say to the leaders of companies that use unmarked vans.

Are you are not proud enough of the company you lead to have your fleet fly your flag?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do have to say to the leaders of companies that use unmarked vans.

Are you are not proud enough of the company you lead to have your fleet fly your flag?

Xiggi, do you run for anyone besides Load One? Unmarked vans are usually run by multiple-carrier drivers, aren't they?

I will say, DO NOT GO INTO NYC WITHOUT LETTERING! Their rules are very precise regarding commercial parking ( ask me how I know :rolleyes: ) ; going in there with a naked van is like giving candy to a baby...

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No i have never run for more than one company just not my preference. Yes many unmarked do but you also have the sole authority people. There is also a couple companies out there who have no markings that don't have multi company drivers. I can think of one out of Chicago.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some are unmarked because we run for multiple carriers.

Then unmarked vans have to live with their decisions, that lead to closer scrutiny from local police forces and other security forces....
After 9/11 I had to use a plain van for a few weeks and it was a sheer PIA...nearly everywhere we went we got either stopped or a parking lot visit by the local county mountie.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if it would be possible to put together a sign holder for each side of the van, and to have multiple signs if you drive for more than one company. Of course none of these signs are permanent, but they could be made to contain all the information the sign has to have, including company logos. If you have freight onboard and you're stopped for a paper check (it's happened to me once, many years ago) having the proper signs on your van goes a long way in the right direction to make things a little easier.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xiggi, do you run for anyone besides Load One? Unmarked vans are usually run by multiple-carrier drivers, aren't they?

I will say, DO NOT GO INTO NYC WITHOUT LETTERING! Their rules are very precise regarding commercial parking ( ask me how I know :rolleyes: ) ; going in there with a naked van is like giving candy to a baby...

That and ones with their own authority.just single operators....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, that begs another question: If you're operating under your own authority, how hard can it be to get a couple of magnetic signs made with your "company name" and operating authorities and so on? I paid $125 last December for the signs I have so I know it's not that expensive, and if you go with plain-jane signs that just have the necessary information it's not that complicated.

If you're operating without authority-- some of these "U-Shippers" are something else-- and you don't fly signs for that reason--- then you're on your own, son.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, that begs another question: If you're operating under your own authority, how hard can it be to get a couple of magnetic signs made with your "company name" and operating authorities and so on? I paid $125 last December for the signs I have so I know it's not that expensive, and if you go with plain-jane signs that just have the necessary information it's not that complicated.

If you're operating without authority-- some of these "U-Shippers" are something else-- and you don't fly signs for that reason--- then you're on your own, son.

IMO..that would depend on the individual O/O...would lead to frame of mind...If they are proud of their accomplishment and displays the company name, on the flipside some may find it an absolute waste of money..hence the independence factor...the ability to chose.